Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #1
rtaylor0830

2017 keystone carbon 356

My 2017 keystone carbon 357 in the first year started getting raised spots on the back passenger side near the end of the camper. The dealer took it back and had it fixed and said it was not from water damage. Now this year it is back and starting to spread. Since this was already addressed during warranty period this should be fixed correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CEB42201-812E-4A6B-B1EE-AC2645E959C3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	19857   Click image for larger version

Name:	469C9925-A4D7-46A3-8737-B680A7274420.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	19858  
rtaylor0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
rtaylor0830

The glare of the camera is making it look worst than it really is
Old 01-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There's just not enough information provided to even begin to make an assessment. Is the damage "in the same location" as the previous repair? If so, then the dealer may not have repaired it correctly. If the damage is in a different location on the same panel, then it may be related to the original damage or it may be new and just look similar to the previous damage. In that case, it may be related or it may be from a new problem.

If this is a resurfacing of the same problem in the "exact same" location, then I'd expect the dealer to redo his repair. If it's in the same "general area" but not the same location as previous damage, then about all the dealer can do is report it to Keystone and see what they say. Several years ago there were some batches of FILON that were defective and Keystone was repairing that damage for a couple years after the warranty. It was not in 2017 so your trailer is not a part of that issue. I'd suspect, depending on whether Keystone has been seeing this in other trailers built around the same time, they may consider it a 'materials issue". On the other hand, if yours is the only one they've had reported, it probably isn't a materials issue that they would cover.

I'd first want to know if it's in the exact same location as the previous repair.
As for expecting Keystone to repair it 2 or 3 years after the warranty, unless your dealership has some way to document that it is an ongoing issue, chances are Keystone will refuse to repair under the original warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
rtaylor0830

The damage is in the same spit that was fixed before but is now spreading further.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
rtaylor0830

Spot not spit lol
Old 01-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If I were you, I'd get a second opinion from someone NOT associated with that dealership. Explain to them what you were told and what the dealer did to repair the original damage. Get their assessment on whether the current damage is "related by and an extension of" the original or if the original repair was sufficient and this is a "growing similar issue" or "a return of the original damage"....

It would be "nice if Keystone would..." but if this current damage is not related to the "in warranty repairs or damage" then, as a separate problem, 2-3 years after the warranty expired, I wouldn't expect Keystone to step up and repair it.

If you trust your dealership, ask them what they think. If you aren't sure about the dealer, then a second opinion from someone who is familiar with FILON would give you more information. Granted, you'll probably need to drag the trailer to them, but it may be worth the effort. If there's a marine repair facility nearby, "boat fiberglass" and "RV fiberglass" are repaired the same way, so a boat repair facility should be able to give you an "honest assessment".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone