Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #21
RGreene

We have the exact same issue with our new 2018 cougar 310rls. Dealer has checked it and said the system is operating as designed! If i stand still under the quick cool vent and not move around, i can cool off. After our first hot day, we wanted our old trailer back! Dealer is saying that i may need the second a/c unit just to be comfortable. I call BS on that. Design problems with the highly touted racetrack a/c ducting is where i believe the issue is. I have gone through all the ductwork with a video camera, sealed all the leaks, trimmed off the extra plastic on the ceiling vents and still do not have sufficient air flow through the unit to bring the temperature down.
We feel your pain.
RGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #22
stolly23

I appreciate everyone who has said that they just added a second ac. BUT, one ac should be able to do better then cool down the inside of the camper 5 degrees on an 87 degree day. Both of my previous fivers had no issue doing this. The vents that came with the camper push the air around the ceiling. I changed a couple out to push the air down. Does work if you are standing under them. I sent a nice long email to my repair manager at Keystone that I have been dealing with. Told her that I was not happy that no one from there would return my calls. She was away for a week and while gone someone else was supposed to be handling my case. He called me once, was a little rude and condescending. He actually told me, "I don't know your case, maybe you are running the ac with the windows open and shade up". Seriously??? He was supposed to call me back last Monday. Never did. I also told her about all of the water issues I had on our first trip. She finally sent an email back to me telling that unfortunately my spec sheet for my vin number shows my camper is not set up for a second ac and they will not do anything about it because it is to much work to wire the camper for the second ac. I called her back and said Hello????? My camper is wired. There are two temperature readers, the in command is set up for two zones, and the wiring is already in place for hook up. Plug and play. She said that is not what her stats sheet shows. I explained to her that my dealer and I can both confirm that she was wrong. Then she told me............wait for it........
As a good faith gesture their customer service will pay for my second ac if it is the case that I am set up for it. There it is, What I have been waiting to hear. Now, I don't know if it had anything to do with my windows leaking, my shower drain leaking, my outdoor kitchen door leaking, my ceiling dripping a yellowish liquid, my fridge not running on propane, or as I found out as we were leaving Myrtle beach Wednesday morning, neither of my black tank flushes would take in water. I hooked up the hose, opened the tank, and turned on the water. and nothing. I turned off the water, took the hose off and got sprayed by backpressure. Both blank tank flushes did this to me. I am assuming the check valves were installed backwards? Or she is doing this for me for the way the other guy spoke to me or the fact that no one called me back in a 9 day period. What ever it was, my dealer is getting the quote together and sending it to keystone so they can approve the second ac. If they want to sell a 5th wheel that cools it's self down either put two ac's in it to begin with or move one to the middle of the camper. Just stupid that they sell it with one in the far back. I don't think many of us buy a $45K camper to use in the winter. I will keep everyone updated once the quote gets sent out, it was supposed to go out today.
stolly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #23
RGreene

a/c

Were you able to have your a/c issue taken care of?
RGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #24
George1

I totally agree with you. They do a horrible job of cooling the camper. And you should not have to Jack around with a whole bunch of stuff in order for it to work right off of the bat from camper sales place. The space that these crappy AC units are required to cool is too much for them to handle. And the only way that I got my camper to cool down going to the same exact thing that you're going through, would you add another AC unit and two fans. One thing I did notice is that underneath the stairs going up to the bedroom is a vent that was blowing out hot air from the generator. So I feel that off a little better. But I am done a lot of reading and a lot of complaining just like you and I have come to the conclusion that it just cannot do a good job like an AC unit in a house. Again, kind of money that we are spending on these 5th wheel campers, a person should not have to be taping and ducting and pulling apart or doing a damn thing to them. You should plug it in and it should be ready to go. It is a bunch of crap. So I totally agree with this guy.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #25
George1

I totally feel for you. I am very disappointed in my Keystone camper purchase as well. I'm stuck with it a couple of years because of the loan I took out on it. But I won't buy another Keystone and that is all there is to it. Where your other campers other brand besides Keystone
Old 09-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Sorry folks, I've followed this thread for a long time, but, real life really needs to be interjected.

Some real life RV facts; owning an RV of 30' ft. + and using it in hot weather/humidity requires a second AC...period. You can foil the windows, buy extra fans, plug the vents etc. etc., BUT, you need a 2nd AC to make things comfortable...that is the way it is unless you have R50 enclosing your 2" camper walls.

Buying a 30' ft. rv with an AC in one end and not the middle and expecting it to cool the entire trailer is, well, silly..... and then to blame the manufacturer/dealer/etc. because you made that choice...?? I guess I don't get it. If cooling was important, there is no way that anyone with sense would think that an AC in one end of a 30' RV is going to adequately cool down the rest of the trailer; that is what due diligence and research is about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:48 AM   #27
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Sorry folks, I've followed this thread for a long time, but, real life really needs to be interjected.

Some real life RV facts; owning an RV of 30' ft. + and using it in hot weather/humidity requires a second AC...period. You can foil the windows, buy extra fans, plug the vents etc. etc., BUT, you need a 2nd AC to make things comfortable...that is the way it is unless you have R50 enclosing your 2" camper walls.

Buying a 30' ft. rv with an AC in one end and not the middle and expecting it to cool the entire trailer is, well, silly..... and then to blame the manufacturer/dealer/etc. because you made that choice...?? I guess I don't get it. If cooling was important, there is no way that anyone with sense would think that an AC in one end of a 30' RV is going to adequately cool down the rest of the trailer; that is what due diligence and research is about.
I agree mostly with what you are saying, but I also believe the trailer manufacturer should have some responsibility in this also. A second A/C unit should be standard equipment in trailers of a certain size and be based on the way it is built as far as the R factor of the insulation used in the build. They know that when a trailer leaves whether or not it will have the cooling capacity, based on the A/C BTU output and the heat load/loss factor for that unit. But hey, if they can send them out the door will and undersized or insufficient cooling capacity, they will likely be able to sell you a second unit and also get the install work. My Toy Hauler (34 1/2') came with one 15K BTU A/C unit, centrally installed in the middle of the trailer and I had hopes that it would be enough, but I also was prepared for it to NOT be enough.....and it wasn't. I did my own install on the second unit and probably saved myself $700-$800) and just as importantly, maybe more so....it was done correctly and a quality install with zero shortcuts taken. I realize that not everyone can install their own A/C unit, but having trailers of a certain size coming from the factory WITH a second unit as standard equipment would be a step in the right direction.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 AM   #28
mazboy

just saying....doesn't anyone use paragraphs anymore? hard to read what the issues/solution are.

but regardless, RV A/C sucks. That is the bottomline. Don't ever assume that you will cool your trailer down very much when it is really hot outside.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:17 AM   #29
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
just saying....doesn't anyone use paragraphs anymore? hard to read what the issues/solution are.

but regardless, RV A/C sucks. That is the bottomline. Don't ever assume that you will cool your trailer down very much when it is really hot outside.
Just sayin', doesn't anyone capitalize the start of a sentence? When you use perfect grammar, structure your sentences correctly, and do not use dot dot dot instead of a properly placed comma, come back and lecture me about my postings! Touche'
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #30
IRV2

I have 2nd 13.5 Mach 3 in the bedroom on our 5er and that air does not make it much farther than the bathroom. I plan on fastening a plastic air diverter to help it down the hallway into the living area since it just hits the wall. Our bathroom only has the one door. I've sealed off the ducts as suggested at the end of the runs and taped where I could reach in. I just wonder if there are better units out there. We haven't really heard much on that. My 15k is also Coleman Mach 15 ducted. Just don't set the thermostat to low or you'll ice up. In the end my unit is pretty warm in full sun.
IRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #31
Ken / Claudia

My last truck camper a 990 AF, that means 9 3/4 ft floor. The single A/C would not keep it cool to a nice in temps over 100 degrees until or unless it was turned on early and left on all day. My last TT with A/C that got used was a 19 ft. and it was about the same. Current TT has never been in temps above around 90 and so far it is Okay. I think it's really a RV thing. And nothing like sitting in one with the A/C running all day and putting up with the noise.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:00 PM   #32
Duck65

Yes I have the same situation is pathetic! How are they handling your situation? I have the 2nd air but I have concerns for the hot weather to come, I'm in Missouri.
Duck65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:51 PM   #33
Frank G

Duck65, this thread is almost two years old, not sure the main posters are even around. Campers, A/C units and hot weather don't go well together.

By the way "Welcome" to the forum, there is a lot of information to be gained. In my personal experience with 2 A/C units in Florida it helps to crack the outlet vents on the A/C units and blast some cold air directly into the living space. To me, sending cooled air through a HOT attic duct system does not help in keeping me cool.

Remember, there is more to cool than temperature, I am perfectly happy at 80 deg. with 30% humidity and a little air movement.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:41 AM   #34
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Duck65, this thread is almost two years old, not sure the main posters are even around. Campers, A/C units and hot weather don't go well together.

By the way "Welcome" to the forum, there is a lot of information to be gained. In my personal experience with 2 A/C units in Florida it helps to crack the outlet vents on the A/C units and blast some cold air directly into the living space. To me, sending cooled air through a HOT attic duct system does not help in keeping me cool.

Remember, there is more to cool than temperature, I am perfectly happy at 80 deg. with 30% humidity and a little air movement.
I agree with this. Or maybe im just lucky. I have a 327res with 2 a/c units. The one in the living area i keep the vent half closed. It seems to be keeping everything cooled just fine. I never have to run both units unless im trying to quick cool after setting up.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote