Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
rsl

New Keystone 3 AC feature????

I got an email from Keystone tonight about their new feature to run 3 ACs at once, "Omni Chill".
I looked at their claims about how never before could you run 3 ACs at once. I figured they were just using a power shedder to kill the power to a lot of other stuff so there was enough amps between the 2 legs for the 54 amps needed to run 3 ACs at once. While reading through the article they talked about how they worked with Dometic to get a super "energy" efficient setup so you could run all 3 at once.
Upon reading further I think I have figured out how they are doing it. One thing that stood out was the "3/4" in Omni Chill ¾+ Ton A/C system. They are just using smaller compressors and motors. Most ACs are 12,500 BTU or 15,000 BTU. They shrunk the ACs down to 3/4 ton units which comes out to 9,000 BTU. So instead of getting 30,000 BTUs with 2 ACs you get 27,000 BTUs with 3 ACs. So seems to me just another marketing gimmick and I am sure one that will cost us more and save keystone time and materials because they will not run any AC ducting with this setup (all direct vent).

Here is the article if anyone wants to read it....
http://www.keystonerv.com/community/...ngs-the-chill/
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I read the same thing. My thought was that they have worked out a way to make the units "work" together to run but at the same time not exceed the total capacity of the AC network. Seems like customizing the units operation via processor(?) might actually maximize the cooling available. On the other hand, I'm not sure it's anything more than a sales ploy...??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:17 AM   #3
Robdog

Well I just happen to have the 2018 Fuzion 369 with the 3 ac unit omni chill system, same size trailer as my 2005 Forestriver Sandpiper that had one 15k and one 13.5 k.
The two unit set up worked much better than the new 3 unit omni chill, I have a hard time keeping my Fuzion cooler than 85* when outside is over 100. The sandpiper was no problem holding 75* @ 110-114* outside. Now I'm having issues running two units while traveling with temps over 104 the generator keeps shutting down. Once parked I have to run with compartment door open to keep gen running or it stumbles and shuts down.
So wish I would have kept the Sandpiper Sport. Unhappy Camper!!!
Robdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone