Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
msubobcats

2008 Ford F350 Harley truck

Son in Law is looking at a package deal on a 41' Solitude and the above posted truck. I need some thoughts on that truck. I don't like Ford so cannot be very objective. Is that a 6.8 diesel? Also a bit concerned as I think it is a SRW? Also think it is a short bed. Any issues for him to check out?
Really appreciate some objective reviews. Thank you..
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If it's a diesel it will be a 6.4L made by Navistar ( International), twin turbo. Not a ton of posts on the Ford truck forum I'm on with issues other than radiators.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The 2008 Ford diesel was a 6.4L engine. The 6.8L was the Triton V-10 gas engine. The Harley "iteration" of the SuperDuty was, I believe, much like the King Ranch version. That means it was "heavy on options" and therefore, "light on payload".... Given that, the F350 GVW in 2008 was somewhere between 10,200 - 11,200 pounds (not the 11,400-11,800 seen in current models).

The 6.4L diesel was an improvement over the 6.0L engine, but it also had some significant reliability problems. It could be "bullet-proofed" to be an exceptionally durable and reliable engine, but unless those mods have been done, depending on the mileage and the prior use/abuse, it may be a "ticking bomb" waiting for a $15K engine overhaul/replacement.

If I remember correctly, the Harley version of the SuperDuty wasn't a "built to tow" model, it was more a "show the colors" option truck, so depending on how the original purchaser ordered the truck, it may or may not have the axle capacity and gearing for a large fifth wheel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
msubobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If it's a diesel it will be a 6.4L made by Navistar ( International), twin turbo. Not a ton of posts on the Ford truck forum I'm on with issues other than radiators.
Yes a diesel...
Old 08-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
msubobcats

It has right at 100000 miles... Maybe that is part of the reason it is for sale. Probably a small part
But since SIL says 6.8 maybe not a diesel at all but might be the gasser...
Old 08-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #6
Desert185

41' trailer towed by a gasser doesn't sound good, especially if SIL lives near the Sierra like you and me.

Edit: That's a heavy trailer.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...solitude/specs
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
msubobcats

When he mentioned SRW and then when I have seen it at a distance I was thinking hmmmm.
This will be their home in Reno for a few years until he can get a transfer. This package is in Coeur d'Alone and he can have it delivered to Reno for a fee. This would be parked at The Marina RV Park.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
It has right at 100000 miles... Maybe that is part of the reason it is for sale. Probably a small part
But since SIL says 6.8 maybe not a diesel at all but might be the gasser...
100K is "nothing to sweat" with most any diesel. My brother in law has a 2010 6.4L F350. Last time we talked "trucking" he said he had right at 245000 miles on it. They're leaving next week for a trip to Florida towing their fifth wheel and he isn't concerned at all with "issues" with the truck. So at 100K, if the truck is otherwise well cared for, the miles aren't a reason to worry.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
msubobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
100K is "nothing to sweat" with most any diesel. My brother in law has a 2010 6.4L F350. Last time we talked "trucking" he said he had right at 245000 miles on it. They're leaving next week for a trip to Florida towing their fifth wheel and he isn't concerned at all with "issues" with the truck. So at 100K, if the truck is otherwise well cared for, the miles aren't a reason to worry.
My meaning: maybe if the 6.4 was so bad they gave up after 100000 miles...
Old 08-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
My meaning: maybe if the 6.4 was so bad they gave up after 100000 miles...
With proper care and doing the head bolt mod (I think that was the only big issue) along with an upgraded set of head gaskets and the 6.4 is a reliable, capable diesel engine. Many were modified by Ford during the warranty, some were modified by owners who didn't want to risk the problems (there are several diesel service companies that developed mod kits) and there are some that started showing problems and were traded before problems developed. Those are the ones that "might be sitting on a dealer's lot" or sitting on the side of the road with a "For Sale" sign in the windshield.

I don't think the 6.4 was "so bad"... It assuredly was an improvement over the 6.0 that it replaced and between the two, Ford nearly "lost the diesel war". Fortunatley, they have rebuilt their diesel reputation with the 6.7 "Ford built diesel" that was introduced in 2011. Of all the recent Ford diesel engines, they rank:
1. 7.3L
2. 6.7L
3. 6.4L
4. 6.0L

There are many (me included) that question whether the 6.7 should now be #1 and the 7.3 moved down to #2.

As I said, my BIL has a 6.4 with almost a quarter million miles and he's leaving for Florida with it, towing a 36' fifth wheel next week. So at least some of the 6.4 engines are reliable......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #11
Banshee365

Hey boys and girls. I'm new to the RV world and thank you for your input and feedback with posts that I have made so far. Now, what I'm not new with is Powerstrokes, so I'll provide some input from my experience as I'm seeing some very inaccurate posts on this thread so far.

The 6.4 does NOT suffer from any sort of head gasket issues or anything related to headbolts. The 6.0 in 2003-2007 Superduty's suffered from head gasket issues with the torque-to-yield head bolts. The 6.0 also used 4 bolts around each cylinder where the preceding 7.3 used 5 around each cylinder. Many head gaskets failures in the 6.0 stem from EGR cooler and oil cooler failures as well as aggressive tuning with WAY too much timing put into the tune. These items along with borderline clamping force on the heads would allow a tuned or less-than-maintained truck have head gasket problems. I have owned an '05 6.0 for over 11 years and have original head bolts and gaskets, zero problems. But, I know what to watch and how to maintain the truck.

Enough about the 6.0.... On to the 6.4. This can be a good engine, or the worst Powerstroke ever made. Most will say the worst. The 6.4 does not have head gasket problems because Navistar increased the diameter of the head bolts. They're bigger and the heads don't lift like the 6.0's did. The 6.4 shares many components with the 6.0. the 6.4's block is nearly identical to the 6.0. It even uses the same camshaft. The bore is larger in the 6.4 to give higher cubes but the stroke is the same as the 6.0. The biggest difference between the 6.4 and 6.0 is the fuel system, and emissions control systems.

This is where the 6.4 sucks. The fuel system is pretty reliable. It's common rail as all the new diesels are. They start awesome in the cold and are generally very reliable. The MAIN issue with the 6.4 is the emissions control system, mainly the DPF (diesel particulate filter.) The 6.4 was the first generation of DPF motors, and it was an epic fail. There is a filter in the exhaust that catches soot. Once the filter starts to become clogged it goes through what it called a regeneration process which superheats the DPF and turns the soot to ash which free's up the DPF again. This happens about every 300-600 miles. The way that the engine heats up the DPF is by injecting fuel into the EXHAUST stroke of the two rear-most cylinder (7 & 8.) This sky rockets the exhaust gas temps, sends super hot exhaust THROUGH the turbos and into the DPF downstream. the first PCM software version of the 6.4 was setting fields on fire because they were blowing fire out of the exhaust during regen. This cooks the turbo's oil seals more often than not, which causes your truck to burn oil through the exhaust. The DPF catches the oil and it stays plugged for the most part. Then the truck just stays in regen most of the time. This causes the rear most cylinders to get washed down with fuel and fill the crankcase with fuel diluted oil. Not the best lubricant.

If you don't want to read this much and only want to read one paragraph, read this one: The 6.4 CAN be a good engine. The problem is that many of them have problems. If you have a 6.4 with cylinder contribution code or misfire code, 90% of the time it needs a new motor, and the Ford reman motor is really the only good option out there. Many owners end up with problems and try to dump the truck on to someone else. You MUST get the truck inspected by someone who knows what they're doing with 6.4's before buying. Personally, knowing all that I do about Powerstrokes, I wouldn't have any reservations about owning one. BUT, I know what to look for and know how to determine if there is a base engine issue before buying. The way to have a reliable 6.4 is to delete the DPF. Delete the EGR if you can as well, but the DPF HAS TO GO. Once the DPF is gone, the truck doesn't regenerate, the turbos don't see those hot exhaust gases, your oil doesn't get diluted with fuel, your 7 & 8 cylinder don't get washed out with fuel and your coolant doesn't get super heated. Don't put any aggressive tunes on the motor to give you 300 extra horsepower (not kidding.) You'll break a piston from how much timing they put in the tune. You'll need a tune for the DPF and EGR deletes but just run mild tunes. 6.4's have tons of power, even stock.

I like the 6.4 motors but hate the emissions systems. The emissions systems on the 6.7's work much better so they're not as big of a deal. But they've GOT TO GO on the 6.4. If you want to look at the truck, make sure to have what is called a 'relative compression test' done. This is a quick, cheap way to check compression on all 8 cylinders to at least make sure they're somewhat close to each other. My experience with 6.4's is that the cylinder is either under very good compression or TOTALLY dead. Usually if they're totally dead it's from a cracked piston or trashed bore. You can also remove the oil cap when the engine is running. 6.4's have a little more blow-by than most engines so you can see SOME. But, generally if you turn the cap over, set it on the hole you just took it out of it shouldn't blow the cap off the hole. If it blows the cap right off the hole move on. I've seen them blow the cap completely out of the engine bay when it gets to the last thread from a cracked piston. You'll want to look for a steady amount of vapors leaving the oil fill hole. If you see a quick bursting 'toof toof toof toof' like an old steam train the motor is trashed. You have to be careful because a totally trashed motor can actually run pretty good.

If you have any questions please let me know.
Banshee365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
MickLittle

Great post! Thanks for all the information!!!
MickLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
msubobcats

VERY informative Banshee. Thank you.
SIL has decided against the truck. Appreciate all the input. And he still is not sure what to do regarding the 5th wheel. They will probably buy in Reno/Sparks and just have it delivered. A truck will not be needed for a while.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
Dave W

That ol Harley option. I considered one to the point of signing some paperwork pending a bit of research - and passed as I didn't want a truck that needed 1-2000 bucks to delete and 'tune' to bullet proof it for longevity.

I really like my 6.7
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #15
Banshee365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
That ol Harley option. I considered one to the point of signing some paperwork pending a bit of research - and passed as I didn't want a truck that needed 1-2000 bucks to delete and 'tune' to bullet proof it for longevity.

I really like my 6.7
Yea, the 6.7 has been a fantastic motor. Slightly contrary to what JRTJH I would rework the Powerstroke ranking from best to worst a little:

1.) 6.7
2.) 7.3
3.) 6.0
4.) 6.4
Old 08-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Banshee365

At least we agree on the ranking of the 6.7 and 7.3. As for the other two.... Well, ..... I think the recommendations pretty much as "don't buy a 6.0 or a 6.4, whatever the reasons.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and information and your perspective on the 6.4. Although it's not what I've been told in the past, it does make sense. I think, from what I do know about Ford's diesel trucks, if you're going to buy one, buy either a 7.3L and rebuild the truck to keep it "new" or buy a 6.7L and hopefully it'll be "new for a while yet".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #17
Banshee365

Quote:
Banshee365

At least we agree on the ranking of the 6.7 and 7.3. As for the other two.... Well, ..... I think the recommendations pretty much as "don't buy a 6.0 or a 6.4, whatever the reasons.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and information and your perspective on the 6.4. Although it's not what I've been told in the past, it does make sense. I think, from what I do know about Ford's diesel trucks, if you're going to buy one, buy either a 7.3L and rebuild the truck to keep it "new" or buy a 6.7L and hopefully it'll be "new for a while yet".....
What makes the 6.0 better than the 6.4 is fairly simple. If you break down in a 6.0 you'll be able to get it back in ship shape again for a few thousand dollars at the most usually. If you break down in a 6.4..., you're 90% likely to be looking at an entirely new motor to get back going. And the longblocks are over $13k.

This is coming from a 6.0 owner for the past 11+ years. I've done the oil cooler and EGR cooler once, and the FICM once. That's it.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

I had two 7.3's, a 93 non-turbo and a 99. Both were excellent, not a minute's problem with the engine, now we won't talk about transmissions..... now the 6.7 and it's "better then the 7.3 so far, of course at only 31000 miles, there's a lot left to discover about this engine's durability.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #19
Dave W

Quote:
I had two 7.3's, a 93 non-turbo and a 99. Both were excellent, not a minute's problem with the engine, now we won't talk about transmissions..... now the 6.7 and it's "better then the 7.3 so far, of course at only 31000 miles, there's a lot left to discover about this engine's durability.

Take a look at the CAC intercooler pipe - it's plastic and can fail unexpectedly in West Overshoe on a holiday Saturday afternoon. Mine made it to 101,000 when I replaced it - and luckily before it ruptured. It seemed weak and ready to 'pop'. I used an H&S though Mishimoto have a nicer looking one for about the same price.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #20
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Take a look at the CAC intercooler pipe - it's plastic and can fail unexpectedly in West Overshoe on a holiday Saturday afternoon. Mine made it to 101,000 when I replaced it - and luckily before it ruptured. It seemed weak and ready to 'pop'. I used an H&S though Mishimoto have a nicer looking one for about the same price.
Conundrum...improve the mark with aftermarket products or take a chance at voiding the warranty. I know what I would do.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford