Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #21
vampress_me

You sound like you are having a pretty good attitude over this. Keep it up, even though it's hard!

Last summer when we were in Yellowstone Park our 2016 F-350 threw a check engine light and sounded like a cylinder was missing, we thought bad injector. Called Bozeman (closest dealer), they told me it would be 2 weeks until they could look at it. We were staying in West Yellowstone. Early next morning I took off to the Ford dealer in Rexburg, ID. I got there when they opened, they squeezed me in. They also thought we needed a new injector, I was planning to spend the night(s) down there. Figured at least hubby and kids would be entertained walking around W. Yellowstone. Turns out it was bad fuel (low cetane level, NOT water in the diesel). Was back on the road to West Yellowstone late in the day, but haven't had a problem since. Ever since I have used Ford's cetane booster on their recommendation, especially when we head out west. I was told western diesel fuel doesn't necessarily have the quality control for cetane levels as other areas of the country. Any chance that could be a part of the issue? I'm not an expert, but I was told I was lucky I didn't get limp mode from it.

Edit: apparently better clarify somewhat. Western states being MT, ID, WY, UT. At least for the diesel quality discussion, but when I've talked to dealers and mechanics "out there", those were the states I've been told by all of them don't regulate diesel as much as other states. We lived out there for years, and still spend a lot of time out in MT and WY, never had a problem until that time. The newer diesels are more picky as to the cetane level than older trucks. One "bad" tank was all it took.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #22
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
You sound like you are having a pretty good attitude over this. Keep it up, even though it's hard!

Last summer when we were in Yellowstone Park our 2016 F-350 threw a check engine light and sounded like a cylinder was missing, we thought bad injector. Called Bozeman (closest dealer), they told me it would be 2 weeks until they could look at it. We were staying in West Yellowstone. Early next morning I took off to the Ford dealer in Rexburg, ID. I got there when they opened, they squeezed me in. They also thought we needed a new injector, I was planning to spend the night(s) down there. Figured at least hubby and kids would be entertained walking around W. Yellowstone. Turns out it was bad fuel (low cetane level, NOT water in the diesel). Was back on the road to West Yellowstone late in the day, but haven't had a problem since. Ever since I have used Ford's cetane booster on their recommendation, especially when we head out west. I was told western diesel fuel doesn't necessarily have the quality control for cetane levels as other areas of the country. Any chance that could be a part of the issue? I'm not an expert, but I was told I was lucky I didn't get limp mode from it.

I don't have a dog in this fight as far as driving a Ford is concerned, but I do drive a diesel (2017 Ram 3500). Usually, the further west you get, and especially in the great state of California (being sarcastic) you'll find a lot of bio-diesel.

So far, on our trip, which started July 9, and still another 10 days to go, we haven't had any fuel or other problems. We're currently in Bozeman, and heading to West Yellowstone in the AM.

Not to hijack, but our trip started off rocky, having been told about 1130 pm the night before we were to head-out, to evacuate due to a large fire very near our home. Thankfully we were spared (others not so lucky) and the fire is out, but there are others still raging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #23
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post

I run Diesel Kleen in mine. Seems to help and it provides extra lube for my injection pump. Oddly, I read that the primary reason for higher cetane was for cold starts. Increased cetane has little effect on normal running.

http://powerservice.com/testimonials/
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:27 AM   #24
Javi

Cetane is to diesel as octane is to gasoline

Javi
Old 07-21-2017, 05:35 AM   #25
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Cetane is to diesel as octane is to gasoline

Javi
Sort of...

Increased cetane QUICKENS combustion in a diesel. Increased octane SLOWS combustion in a gasser.

Obviously, a minimum cetane level is required (40 in the USA) for proper combustion. When cold and/or at higher elevations, a higher cetane level aids combustion during cold starts. California, as I understand it, requires a minimum cetane number of 50. Good for them. Maybe that's one of the reasons besides tax that the fuel is comparatively so expensive there.

This is just one explanation. A Google search yields much info on cetane vs octane. A product like Diesel Kleen not only increases cetane, but it provides enhanced lubrication and fuel system cleaning unlike just a pure cetane additive. If one is going to buy a cetane enhancer, might as well get the full benefit of lubrication and cleaning, too. Older injection pumps (like my Bosch VP44) designed before ultra low sulfur fuels really benefit from the additive.

http://www.fuelmagic.net/Cetane%20Booster.html

http://powerservice.com/psp_product/...-cetane-boost/
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #26
Dave W

Back to the OPs problem --- unfortunately all of the new Big 3 diesel powered pickups (as well as late model OTR semis)have literally dozens of sensors or other 'gadgets' that will put you into limp mode though as noted, the EGT sensors will no longer as through '15 they were reprogrammed via Ford's TSB 14E03 plus the '16 and up factory 'fixed'.

Something to consider is a semi permanent installation of a ScanGauge ll and a list of codes that you can download from the 'net. The ScanGauge will note the error code and many times clear it to the point that you can continue on at normal speed. While it probably wont permanently repair a fault, it may clear the engine's computer at least for a while - and this may be what the Ford store in St George did, a standard function of many OBD ll readers ... and hoped it would stay that way.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #27
kfxgreenie

If you want a gauge, code scanner/clearer, I personally would go with the edge CTS2. It is a very nice unit and they have pillar mounts that keep it out of the way for the most part. I have the original CTS and its nice to see EGT's. I know they are not in the manifold, but still give some insight. It's also nice to monitor Trans temp, coolant temp, Intake temp, Boost, Engine Brake Hp just a few I have set up on my screen. Only have had to clear one code, but the CTS did it like a champ. With modern day diesels some sort of device like this is a must IMO.

https://www.carid.com/edge/insight-c...D_BwE#features
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #28
hdxbonez

I feel the OP's pain, I hope the dealer gets it sorted out for him quickly. My diesel Ram had catalyst issues and left me stuck as well a few weeks ago, I left it at the dealer and drove home in a new Hemi. I don't have patience for that kind of nonsense.
hdxbonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #29
gbsb

We were in a small Town in South TX and headed home on Tuesday before Thanksgiving hoping to get home in about 4 hours. Pulled out of campground at 3:30 pm got 15 miles down the road and the truck shut down. Set there for a couple of hours trying to figure out what was wrong and it started up. Make a long story short we got back to the campground about midnight. I was at the Ford dealer before they opened. When the shop manager came out, a very nice lady ask what the problem was and I explained to her what had happen. I then told her I know it is Wednesday before Thanksgiving and there is people in front of me but I sure did need to be home that night. She patted me on the shoulder and said Honey don't worry we will get you going. The diesel tech came in and got right on the truck and told me it was a bad fuel pressure regulator valve. So $650.00 and 4 hours latter I was on my way. Long story but there are some great dealerships out there.
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:00 AM   #30
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
We were in a small Town in South TX and headed home on Tuesday before Thanksgiving hoping to get home in about 4 hours. Pulled out of campground at 3:30 pm got 15 miles down the road and the truck shut down. Set there for a couple of hours trying to figure out what was wrong and it started up. Make a long story short we got back to the campground about midnight. I was at the Ford dealer before they opened. When the shop manager came out, a very nice lady ask what the problem was and I explained to her what had happen. I then told her I know it is Wednesday before Thanksgiving and there is people in front of me but I sure did need to be home that night. She patted me on the shoulder and said Honey don't worry we will get you going. The diesel tech came in and got right on the truck and told me it was a bad fuel pressure regulator valve. So $650.00 and 4 hours latter I was on my way. Long story but there are some great dealerships out there.
That sounds like the kind of people and service you get in the south. I'm sure it's like that in some other places but ya...Texas I'm biased...Glad it worked out.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #31
Southwestern Sportfishing

My transmission went out in a little town called Many in Louisiana while towing my 26' tt . They were going to install a rebuilt one in the truck for $2,800 with a one year warranty. Turns out that it was rebuilt locally and any warranty work would have to be done there. That was a problem since I was from California, If I wanted a warranty that was good at any Ford dealer I would have to order one from Ford. The nearest trans was in Oklahoma City and would take four days to arrive... I was stuck there for 8 days.... the only good thing about it was that my mother in law lives right on Toledo Bend reservoir with a boat house and a 20' bass boat. I hope you have an easy fix on yours
Southwestern Sportfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #32
vampress_me

So, this inquiring mind would like to know if they found your problem? And hopefully fixed it so vacation can go on? (Sorry, being nosy....)

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #33
notanlines

Lynette, I guess by now you've been around here long enough to figure out about 2/3 of these comments come from people venting about their problems and never return to give us an outcome. No matter how much we beg they seldom catch on. I also would like to know the results of his dilemma.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, my crystal ball is no clearer than anyone elses, but evanhix posted his "limp mode" post at 9:59PM on July 19. He was last on the forum at 10:26PM on July 20. Since then, he hasn't signed onto the forum. So, my guess is that he is not at a campground across the street from a Ford dealership or he would have had lots of "spare time" to vent.... My guess is they got his truck fixed and he and family are on vacation and he isn't thinking about what we "wonder about happening"..... Hopefully, once he's back home, he'll fill us in on what they found...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #35
John&Genny

We are on vacation and something very similar happened to us while on the road. We were at Crater Lake at the info center about ready to leave and the truck engine light came on and went into limp mode, but shortly after driving it a bit, it came out of limp mode but the Check Engine light was still on. We were not far from Klamath Falls so we went down to the local AutoZone and I had him put his tester on it so we could find out what the engine code was. Turned out it was for the Mass Air Flow sensor. Bought a can of CRC Cleaner especially made for the sensor, gave it a good spraying, reset the code, and it hasn't come on since. Sometimes you have to take the initiative and take matters into your own hands I have a code reader at home, but I bought another one just to keep in the truck for when we are out on the road.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #36
ChuckS

F-350 limp mode. Vacation in limbo.

This day and time almost warrants carrying a code reader , and a good one. I've had my duramax go into limp mode for a turbo sensor and when you are up in the Big Horn Mtns there ain't no help. Cleared code, got out of limp mode. When I had cell coverage looked up code, pulled sensor, cleaned , No more issues in almost a year. Folks just gotta learn to do more themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #37
evanhix

First off, thank all of you for you replies and concerns. We were able to get going and carry on with the remainder of our vacation in Utah and then onto Colorado and finally home last night.

Repair update: the tech found a melted wire section in a wiring harness that goes from the drivers side of the engine, down the firewall, and over the transmission. At first they were going to have to remove the trans to get to the end point but supposedly he was able to "build the wire" to replace the bad section without trans removal. They were able to get us going mid-morning Friday which was great. The down side was that I was not able to talk to the tech to find out if his fix was just to get us going or if it was a permanent fix? My thinking is that if it melted once, what will keep it from melting again? The service writer told me that this is the third '17 they have seen with a similar problem so it may be likely that there will be some sort of recall eventually.

We were happy to continue on our trip and return home without incident but the breakdown was a black cloud over the entire trip as we were constantly fearing another breakdown in a remote location.

I have a claim open with ford and will update as soon as I find out more about the long term repair.
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #38
Johnny's Journey

Thanks for the up date. It's always entertaining and educational.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:48 AM   #39
notanlines

I also want to thank you for the update. Great that they got you on the road again. Not so great that you are sort of in limbo concerning the repair. We look forward to what the final word might be from Ford.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 AM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

I also want to thank you for the update. When things go bad on a trip it can be a real bummer. I appreciate the follow up so that we know how things turned out and your input helps educate all of us. I hope you find out if they gave you a permanent solution or just something to get by. Good luck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod