Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Unhappy Doors and the Wind

One thing on my Raptor 300MP I wish was different are the doors. They open 90 degrees rather than a full 180. I like having the front door open on nice days but I worry about the wind ripping the door off so I only open it on very calm days. The Raptor has one small kitchen window and one garage window that crank open on the same side as the doors so without the doors open you can't get the same airflow through the space.

Anybody got a mod that will allow these doors to be latched open 180 degrees?
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Handysam

Kent do you have gas struts on the doors that keep them from going open further? or is it the hinges themselves?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Gas Struts.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
KanTC

Kent,

Is it possible to disengage or remove the gas strut, allowing the door to open 180 degrees?? If so, then, typical entry door holders are available at retail stores, and at various lengths/sizes.

We've always had the 6" T-style, like these:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...oor-holder.htm

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-holders/8254

And there are others:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...stic-clip/8348

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-holders/8354

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...0-degree/49618

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Me.Bikes.Dogs

What I need is a combination of the T-Style door holder plus a quick release gas strut. Then I can have the best of both worlds. A door that stays handy and won't fly open when the strut is connected but still can be fixed open wide.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Glen&Denise

Wind and Doors

We have doors wth the gas struts and unfortunately as I was opening the door on a very windy day the door was yanked out of my hands and the wind made the doors into a 180 degree opening! It pulled the attachment right out of the door by stripping the screws.....my mechanical engineer hubby is not working out a fix!
Glen&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
jerry

door struts

We have bullet 278 and remove the gas shocks as they were causing door to drag in upper corner. Deal remove shocks and replaced complete door unit. This was not the first time dealer had had problems. While I was there for door replacement they were just finishing replace a door on bullet priemer. It is nice that we have a dealer that takes care of thier costumers.
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen&Denise View Post
We have doors wth the gas struts and unfortunately as I was opening the door on a very windy day the door was yanked out of my hands and the wind made the doors into a 180 degree opening! It pulled the attachment right out of the door by stripping the screws.....my mechanical engineer hubby is not working out a fix!
Same with me. I took off the gas strut and installed one of the "T" holders. With me, it wasn't the wind that causes it, but just me not being used to a door pulling itself out of my hand when I opened it. Good idea, it just wasn't executed very well.
I just filled the screw holes with white silicon.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
Rocky7

My dealer has just replaced both entrance doors on our Fuzion 405 due to very sticky door operation and then finally these gas struts pulling the bracket off the door. He's had this same problem on other Fuzions.

The concept is good, but Keystone should have used doors with some internal backing to stand the stress. Attaching a gas strut to thin aluminum with a few sheet metal screws is an idea my kids might come up with.

We're going to put a strip of painted aluminum at the top of the doors for backing and then rivet the bracket. Hopefully, that will stand the stress of opening and closing.

Otherwise, it's great not to have to fiddle with latches nor hold the door until it is latched.

The funny part is that we owned a Raptor with the exact same set-up and had no problem with it. Maybe they use a better door on the Raptor?
Rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
Bob Landry

I had a simillar issue with one of the doors on my Outback. The strut held to the door OK, but the wind would pull it when I opened it and after just a few jolts, the screws were only attached to the filon on the trailer side and were pulling out of the wood. Not much fore-thought in that one. I just did away with the gas strut and installed a standard holder on the side of the trailer to hold the door open it I need to.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
JimmyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Same with me. I took off the gas strut and installed one of the "T" holders. With me, it wasn't the wind that causes it, but just me not being used to a door pulling itself out of my hand when I opened it. Good idea, it just wasn't executed very well.
I just filled the screw holes with white silicon.
Bumping this thread for a new owner question: any issues when removing the strut? Looks like it just screws off.

Thanks.
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
zuley

The 90 degree opening was an issue on our newly purchased 23RB prior to signing on the dotted line. The dealer told us they had a few other people concerned about the same issue and the 6 inch "T" hook could certtainly be adapted to the door opening.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Last June I removed my gas strut, filled the holes with silicone, and installed a T-connector at the base of the door. Love the change.