Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #21
Tbos

Numbers help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdentler View Post
I just took my truck to the scales with wife, baby w/ her stuff and pup.

Steer axle 3700
Drive axle 2560

Gross weight 6260

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your truck has a 7200 GVWR. You have less than 800lbs for additional payload, call it tongue weight on the truck. I normally travel with 1/3 -2/3 fresh water so it's there for emergencies. When my DW and I pack for a week long trip with the dog all our personal stuff and tools, hoses, etc. it adds about 1000 lbs extra to the TT.

Edit, that should have said just under 1000 lbs for tongue weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #22
Cdentler

Can someone check my math? Not sure what to go off of.

Cdentler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:21 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

You've got a lot of numbers figuring all kinds of aspects. The thing to remember is the truck/trailer combo needs to meet ALL aspects; gvw of truck and trailer, gcvw of the truck, gawr of truck and trailer, payload of truck.

In your case your truck gvwr is 7200 lbs. - that's all the truck can weigh with everything in/on it. In this case it will determine your payload and not the payload sticker. Your scale weight of the truck is 6260. That means you have a 940 lb. net payload. Subtract the weight of a hitch, say 150 lbs. = 790 lbs. Now, I don't go anywhere camping that I don't have LOTS of stuff in the bed of my truck; not to mention the weight of my bed cover. So, anticipate that you will carry a couple hundred pounds of tools, toys, bbq grill, etc. etc. That would leave you at 590 lbs. for tongue weight....and even then you will be maxed out on weight.

With those numbers it would indicate you could tow a trailer that weighed 3933 lbs. using a 15% tongue weight.

Your numbers appear to be accurate and show how much variance there is when looking at all the weight components. Trying to figure all of them is a pain and time consuming chore but definitely required to understand what they all mean and do. In this case they certainly illustrate the shortcomings of a 1/2 ton truck as far as towing goes. You have built in some safety nets in your numbers and that is good. Personally however, I think you can tow more than 4000 lbs. with your truck if equipped properly. Maybe not a LOT more, but certainly more. I've pulled a trailer that weighed much more than 4000 lbs with my last 1/2 ton.....but I upgraded to a 3/4 ton for the safety factors involved.

I'm sure these are not the kinds of things you wanted to hear. I appreciate you taking the time to sort through all of this prior to making a big purchase that could ultimately not be the best choice.

Ask away if you have any questions and someone will try to help you out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #24
Cdentler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You've got a lot of numbers figuring all kinds of aspects. The thing to remember is the truck/trailer combo needs to meet ALL aspects; gvw of truck and trailer, gcvw of the truck, gawr of truck and trailer, payload of truck.

In your case your truck gvwr is 7200 lbs. - that's all the truck can weigh with everything in/on it. In this case it will determine your payload and not the payload sticker. Your scale weight of the truck is 6260. That means you have a 940 lb. net payload. Subtract the weight of a hitch, say 150 lbs. = 790 lbs. Now, I don't go anywhere camping that I don't have LOTS of stuff in the bed of my truck; not to mention the weight of my bed cover. So, anticipate that you will carry a couple hundred pounds of tools, toys, bbq grill, etc. etc. That would leave you at 590 lbs. for tongue weight....and even then you will be maxed out on weight.

With those numbers it would indicate you could tow a trailer that weighed 3933 lbs. using a 15% tongue weight.

Your numbers appear to be accurate and show how much variance there is when looking at all the weight components. Trying to figure all of them is a pain and time consuming chore but definitely required to understand what they all mean and do. In this case they certainly illustrate the shortcomings of a 1/2 ton truck as far as towing goes. You have built in some safety nets in your numbers and that is good. Personally however, I think you can tow more than 4000 lbs. with your truck if equipped properly. Maybe not a LOT more, but certainly more. I've pulled a trailer that weighed much more than 4000 lbs with my last 1/2 ton.....but I upgraded to a 3/4 ton for the safety factors involved.

I'm sure these are not the kinds of things you wanted to hear. I appreciate you taking the time to sort through all of this prior to making a big purchase that could ultimately not be the best choice.

Ask away if you have any questions and someone will try to help you out.

If I got a Hensley WD hitch then that should give me about 200 lbs extra right?

Cdentler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #25
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdentler View Post
If I got a Hensley WD hitch then that should give me about 200 lbs extra right?

With a Propride at 227 pounds minus a std hitch if 100 pounds, the extra is 127 pounds. Hensley is probably similar.

Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #26
Tbos

Numbers help

Here are the numbers from the scales when I had my 1500 fully loaded. It had 15,000 GCWR and 7200 GVWR. Chevy Truck full with 2 people added is 5960 no bikes.
-Tongue weight max of trucks hitch is 1200. Max Cargo and passenger capacity is 1745 total.
-Truck loaded with pass with TT equalized is 7060. Less than 200 left to meet the 7200.
-Tongue weight distributed was 1100 lbs.
-combined gross truck and TT 12380 including pass and TT with 2/3 fresh water.
-TT axles weighed in at 5320 loaded and equalized. These weights were with my 2810BH. At 32' it was often like the tail wagging the dog. When I had my 238ML it was great. It looks like you are working your numbers correctly. I'd use your actual loaded truck weights from the scale and go from there. Someone else with an F150 ended up going with an Outback 210URS to get the numbers to fit.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #27
GMcKenzie

I've got a 2015 GMC Sierra with the max trailering package. I agree with others that talk about payload being the limiting factor. From the brochure, I could tow 10,800. But I'm close to maximum payload (7600 GVW) with a 8,200 pound trailer. My payload is 2015. I've scaled my setup and came in at 7540 on the truck, so barely under. Now I've lost ~ 100 lbs in the driver seat since last summer, so I'll do a bit better this year, but I watch how I'm loaded, have a 4 point hitch and typically have maybe 1/3 tank of water.

Did Banff/Jasper last year and, except for 1 hill that I could not maintain the speed limit, it pulled really well. Some porpoising where the road was bad south of Jasper. Doing the Oregon coast this year.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote