Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
NWRick

Slide and Panel issues

My living room slide will not go out. I have checked gear box and motor all good. The rockers are dead on the control panel. I have no power to the relay that is close to the remote brain....I don't know how to post pics. However I do have power to one leg that is running to the brain.. ugh
NWRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
tom37

Not sure what model Rv you have, but something that happened to me.
When I emptied the tanks, I accidently hit the battery cutoff switch in the convenience center. I gave up on trying to resolve the problem myself and sat down to rest. that's when I thought to check the switch.
tom37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
BuxCamper

Slides generally require the battery to be hooked up. There is a sticker by my control panel that indicates such. I guess it's to get enough power to run the motor but don't quote me on that.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post
Slides generally require the battery to be hooked up. There is a sticker by my control panel that indicates such. I guess it's to get enough power to run the motor but don't quote me on that.

The reason that a battery needs to be connected to the 12 volt system during slide operation is to protect the converter from being overloaded. The initial start amperage and the high level of amperage draw during slide operation can damage the diodes in the rectifier circuit in the converter/charger. That leads to reduced life and early failure of the converter. Any "heavy amperage device" such as slide motors, landing gear, etc should only be used when a battery is connected to the 12 volt electrical system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
BuxCamper

Kind of surprised the converter does not have a current limit circuit like my amateur radio power supplies. I do hear the fan in my converter kick on when I operate my slide. So I know the slide motor is asking for a few Watts.

For giggles I should calculate the worst case current the converter can pull at 120 Vac to supply max 12 Vdc load.

Yes I have The Knack.

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRick View Post
My living room slide will not go out. I have checked gear box and motor all good. The rockers are dead on the control panel. I have no power to the relay that is close to the remote brain....I don't know how to post pics. However I do have power to one leg that is running to the brain.. ugh

What type of slide is it? If it's cable then the motor and gearbox are inside above the slide. And if the room is fully retracted it's a PITA to reach the motor/gearbox.

If it's a "rack and pinion with the square tubes underneath going through the frame, getting to the motor/gearbox involves cutting an access hole in the underbelly.

Both types use 12VDC and if you inspect the fuse panel, I bet you'll see at least one if not more 30A auto reset circuit breakers. Often plugged into the top fuse slot(s). First thing is to verify 12V is making it through those.

After that, trouble shooting can take a few different directions. Let us know what type of slide and what tests you have done. IF this is a new unit and under warranty, I would caution doing too much, because if any damage occurs while your diagnosing, the warranty claim will probably be declined.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #7
NWRick

Battery is connected. I have no power to the rocker switches. The circuit board is only getting power off one hot wire. The relays on the frame have power. It seems like there is a fuse that is blown or a bad relay. I checked the fuses in the panel and they are all good. I lost!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

You'll have two 30 amp circuit breakers that look like this picture mounted on the crossmember at the front of your trailer, probably under the front cap. Typically they will have a red or black plastic cover over the terminals. Possibly one of them is bad? Also you may find an inline fuse holder on the wiring near the motor. It will look similar to the two pictures posted here...

If not the above, does your remote control do anything? Can you hear any "clicking" at the receiver mounted in the trailer?

ADDED: Pictures did not post in order. The first and last are photos of the circuit breaker. Middle two are the inline fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30amp circuit breaker.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	12183   Click image for larger version

Name:	inline fuse 3.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	12184   Click image for larger version

Name:	inline fuse 2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	12185  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #9
NWRick

My remote receiver makes a noise that sounds like a hissing sound. The rockers are dead and the upper half of the panel lights up. I have a 2014 keystone cougar 32rbk
Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #10
NWRick

How do I post a pic?
Old 04-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Is your control panel the "smooth glass" type? or do you have actual switches?

To post a picture, when you're on the screen to type your response, on the top of that box is a paperclip symbol. Click on the paperclip, browse your pictures to identify the one you want to post, then click upload and it should appear in the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #12
NWRick

I have rockers. The issue started with the living room slide not going out, but would go in. At the same time only the remote would work. Now the rockers are dead and the remote works on the living room slide going in. The bedroom slide is dead!!!
Old 04-06-2017, 04:54 AM   #13
Racebug

sounds like a bad connection or burnt wire. Hissing sounds coming from wiring usually means arcing.
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #14
NWRick

Name:	IMG_1269.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	12206

Name:	IMG_1267.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	12207

Here are some pics.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #15
NWRick

So there is no power to the breaker so the wire that feeds the circuit board is dead. The other hot wire has power. I will do a more invasive search for the issue over the weekend.... I do appreciate the help Keep it coming!

Thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #16
Racebug

it could just be the way the plastic is, but it looks melted in the top picture. loose connection + high amp draw = melting. like I said, could just be the way the plastic looks in the picture.
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #17
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRick View Post
So there is no power to the breaker so the wire that feeds the circuit board is dead. The other hot wire has power. I will do a more invasive search for the issue over the weekend.... I do appreciate the help Keep it coming!

Thanks
Sounds like you have found at least one of the problems "No Power" which you will now have to trace back toward a 12V DC source, another fuse, loose/burnt wire, etc. Also as previously stated would check for possible overheating to that module which may be the initial problem??
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #18
NWRick

Okay, one more oddity! It appears as if the #5 fuse in the panel has no power. Fuse is good but its dead!!!
Old 04-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #19
NWRick

Well, I finally have power to my rockers. However, anytime I hit the rocker switch it pops the fuse. Switches seem to be functioning as designed... UGH
Old 04-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #20
NWRick

I think I have a bad wire!

Tags
slide