Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
the sodfather

Sewer hose mania!

My camper came as a package deal with a sewer hose. I've added the clear 6" piece for entertainment I guess. Also have the "down hill" hose rack that I think is one of the greatest inventions. I've seen all kinds of hoses and wondered what's really the difference. They all do basically the same job. I guess at the end if the day, all it's got to do is move liquid from one place to another...

What do all you pros use and why is it better than the ol' el cheapo's?
Old 02-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

All sewer hoses do the same thing, as you said, they carry "stuff" from one place to another. The difference? Imagine putting your trash in a "heavy duty, 7 mil expandable Hefty trash bag" and putting the same amount of trash in a "dollar store 2 mil kitchen trash can liner"... One will "hold the stuff while you move it from one place to another" and the other one "may or may not leak, split, tear, spill stuff or maybe even disintegrate in the process".....

So, you can buy a $3 vinyl/spring hose, $8 worth of end connectors, worm screw hose clamps to hold it together and it might last a year, maybe longer, depending on how you use it, or you can buy a "HD vinyl hose with a vinyl spring (that won't rust, poke through the hose and will return to shape if you happen to step on it). The HD hose will have end connectors "built in" usually with gaskets to prevent leakage, better grade and thicker vinyl hose that will last through several years, smoother inner linings that make it easier to flush and usually they are more "manageable" in that they will stay where you put them, the end connectors won't slip off when you pull the hose just a tad too much. They don't tend to "leak from pin holes" that seem to form from anything the hose is dragged over, and they really don't cost "that much more" when you consider they last 3, 4 or more years when compared to buying one, two or even more of the $3 hoses, breaking one of those darned worm gear clamps, etc.....

When it comes to versatility, you can buy a "quality hose kit" that comes with two 10' hoses that can be collapsed to about 24", used separately or connected together to make a 20' hose. It's a "non crushable" system that won't be damaged if you happen to step on it, easy to rinse when the task is finished and has "leak proof caps" to keep the remaining drips from soiling and wetting your storage area. All for around $25.

You're right, a "hose is a hose" but there's more "enjoyment" in handling one that is a bit better grade, while in use, in storage and especially when cleaning it up.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
66joej

^ What John said. I think the one we have had a picture of a gorilla on the package. 3 years old and still in great shape.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Get the GOOD ones! We bought a RhinoFlex hose when we bought the trailer in 2014 and have used it every year until we got here to FL this year. Hooked it up and set to having a good time. Came time to dump and while I'm sitting there listening to things happen I start getting..."the smell". Jumped (well, "crawled" might be a better word ) up and looked around. A pool of "yuck" was forming under the sewer hose. Shut it down and emptied it - and went to buy another hose, just like the one we had. It had been used for hundreds of days camping and sat in hot sun for weeks/months at a time so it was probably time to go. You just don't want that surprise any more often than you have to. As a note: I think I saw an advertisement for a hose made by Lippert? that had a smooth interior to prevent material from getting stuck in the little coils. Exactly how it will collapse and not break over time intrigues me. I'll have to look into it when we get back.....after I get the water heater replaced,.....and the slides fixed.....etc. etc. etc.

Note: I just looked up the Lippert product I mentioned and it's about $125 so don't know that I'm ready for that just yet.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
BirchyBoy

As others have said, get a good one. Also, check the joints where the hose mates with the connections. Mine tend to back out and have to be tightened up every third or fourth setup.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Talking

sourdough; I am really impressed, after all you have been through this trip, and you are still sane Must have great adult beverages down there

EDIT:OKAY forgot to comment on question. I use the Viper hose, I have a ten foot and a fifteen foot section. Makes for good combinations 10, 15, 25" many times need both. Going on 4.5 years all look good, out around 100 times a year
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
JoePK

Yep, my Rhinoflex from Camco is almost two years old now and is holding up really well. We use it once or twice a month. Definitely check the joints every time. They tend to loosen after awhile - don't want that "goo" going everywhere.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I failed to mention that our leak came from a small split on the underside of the hose. I figure it was just age and usage or maybe riding in the bumper tube for so many miles.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
Javi

We've been using the Rhinoflex a little more than 4 years. We keep 4 of the 10ft in the trailer..

Javi
Old 02-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
sourdough; I am really impressed, after all you have been through this trip, and you are still sane Must have great adult beverages down there

EDIT:OKAY forgot to comment on question. I use the Viper hose, I have a ten foot and a fifteen foot section. Makes for good combinations 10, 15, 25" many times need both. Going on 4.5 years all look good, out around 100 times a year
Yes, this has been quite "the trip". I am going to check into the Viper hose - haven't seen one.

When things happen (many failures of this or that this trip plus 5 surgeries in the last year) I figure you can mope about it and complain, or, just pull up your britches and get on with it....with a smile. You can't undo unfortunate things; the only thing that matters is how you handle them.

I was visiting with a very dear friend that runs this park this morning. She has stage IV bone cancer and is in terrible shape by anyone's standards. They have just begun a new, rough, chemo on her as the last effort to try to slow down the inevitable - she is busy, happy, smiling, laughing ALL the time. She has her faith, friends and an indomitable spirit. She believes as I do. When I worry about the little things going wrong with my trip, or knee removals or whatever, I think of her and her spirit. Heck, I've got a wonderful, full life and absolutely no reason to complain.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #11
66joej

Well said sourdough! Sometimes we don't look at the big picture. Life is short. Have to appreciate what we have more!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:08 PM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Good hose good life. Better hose better life. I have the best life, and a best hose, a RhinoFlex. Going on our 3rd year. But after sourdough's story, I'm going to keep my eye on it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #13
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When it comes to versatility, you can buy a "quality hose kit" that comes with two 10' hoses that can be collapsed to about 24", used separately or connected together to make a 20' hose. It's a "non crushable" system that won't be damaged if you happen to step on it, easy to rinse when the task is finished and has "leak proof caps" to keep the remaining drips from soiling and wetting your storage area. All for around $25.
I use the Revolution. They're about $30 at wally world now but that's what I've been using the last several years. Does the job, cleans up easy, stores easy, love the end caps.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #14
the sodfather

All good info.

Do y'all use caps on each end when storing the hose? I have been putting a cap on the inlet side and store the entire hose in a clear Rubbermaid tote. With a lid of course. I also use the supplied non-potable hose provided at the campground to run a good final rinse of the hose.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I put a cap on one end, compress it and put the other cap on so it won't expand then put it in the bumper. I don't rinse the sewer hose out in the park. I do however run clean water through the gray tanks and the black tank rinse. I clean the hose when we get back home.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

My hoses are collapsible, but will only stay "collapsed" if the caps are installed on each end. As soon as I remove one cap, the hose "automatically" extends the full 10'. So, I have to install caps on each end of the "collapsed" hose so I can put them in the plastic PVC (rain gutter) tray and slide it into the "PVC post cover storage container" that's secured next to the sewer connection on my trailer. So far, since about 1993, I haven't stored a hose in the "hose bumper" on the back of most RV's. The inside of that bumper easily rusts, the rust is abrasive and will stain the outside of the hose, cause stained clothing (if you happen to brush against the hose) and the rust seems to be abrasive and will cause most hoses to wear rapidly (probably during transit) causing them to leak "long before their time"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

I've not seen any indication of rust inside the bumper or on the hose but there could be some "back in there" somewhere. I had attributed our recent hose failure to normal wear/tear due to exposure to the elements. It makes sense that just riding inside the bumper for thousands of miles could also do damage. I'll look into an alternative method of transporting it.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #18
canesfan

I put the caps on both ends. I don't compress them first, I just leave them as they are, which is probably about 3-4' long. Then I stick them in the cubby hole provided along with the elbows. I also don't have a bumper, but when I did it would rust inside and I think that did contribute to shortening the life of the hose, besides as John noted, getting brown rust dust on whatever the hose touched.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #19
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thumbs up

Here is the one of the original posts and member comments including mine.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=sewer%2Chose

A you can see I chose to use the clamps rather than have to drill into the frame. I used the eight foot post and it holds a 10 foot and 15 foot Viper sewer hose. The addition of the gutter in the fence post , great idea, whoever the original post was, is really clever , eliminates wear and tear from sliding the sewer hose in. Just pull put hose in gutter and slide into fence post. In emergencies have use gutter to support sewer hose when setup. Both end caps on mine are removable, ie if need 10' take out on side , need 15' get from other end. May add a second one for the short pieces of sewer hoses used at the dump stations and filling the portable tanks (blue boys) and some other sewer adapters.

In my this option this is is a must have MOD, all parts available at lowes, love those clamps rather than drilling.

EDIT: Posted in wrong area ????? MAYBE
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #20
the sodfather

While rolling through Cabelas Bargain Cave yesterday, I ran across a deal I couldn't pass up. Rhino Flex hose and fittings originally marked $39.98. Marked down to $24.31 with an additional 30% off. I'll take it! Who cares if the box was a little damaged. I inspected it and it looks good to go...👍