Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Just put a jack under the axle at the u-bolts. Dexter's prohibition on jacking the axles has to do with some dummy at a tire shop jacking the trailer at the middle of the axle (which, of course, bends said axle).

No way would I try to jack a trailer by the frame. Way too high in the air, especially along the shoulder of the road or on soft, uneven ground.

If you look at the axles, they have an arc in them from the factory, they aren't really straight. Lifting at the center can change the arc and throw things off.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #22
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you look at the axles, they have an arc in them from the factory, they aren't really straight. Lifting at the center can change the arc and throw things off.
Well, that was my point. I have always jacked trailers under the axle at the point where the spring pad/u bolts attach to said axle. I was attempting to explain the reason ,IMHO, why the - oh forget it.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #23
Desert185

Jacking the axle at the ubolt raises the axle by compressing the spring so the tire can be removed. One does not need to jack the trailer, especially when stopped precariously on a sloped shoulder of the road with vehicle wake turbulence hitting the trailer.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #24
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff57 View Post
I have one of these, which I haven't had to use on the road only in the driveway working on the bearings or rotating tires. Works great, is light weight and doesn't take up much space.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-P...001V8UKBO?th=1
Stated I was about to purchase and was told there are 2 versions. One certainly will not life a high framed 5er and the 'pro' version is iffy.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #25
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Stated I was about to purchase and was told there are 2 versions. One certainly will not life a high framed 5er and the 'pro' version is iffy.
I had a Pro Version and my MorRyde 4000 had 4 inches of movement and even with 2X6 under it the tire were still firmly planted on the ground. I ended up selling at a rally to guy with TT that work perfect on. I carried around for 6 months before I tried it just to see if would work.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #26
roadglide

I use 3 inch channel. I cut the top off letting the bottom set on the axel then I welded short pipe in the middle for the jack screw. This is solid and releases the pressure along the axel.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #27
Jay Pat

I used to carry the trailer aid. The first flat I had, I was in the bar ditch. The first time I tried to use it, the tire would not roll up on the T aid. It just pushed it.
I finally got the good tire up on some boards that I carry. I had to dig out the ground under the flat. Got the tire off. Had to dig more to get the spare on.
I still carry boards. I carry a reg bottle jack and a short bottle jack and a shovel.
A "regular" bottle jack will not get under an axle with a flat tire.
I got my short bottle jack from Northern Hydraulics. I think it is about 5"-6" tall.
Options! Always have options!
Good luck!
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote