Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #1
roy 24689

water filters

we are full timers having we are looking into water filters, camp grounds we have been in wife says water taste like crap most of the time. we have tried a few filters so help some.have to bye water most of the time. pain most of the time. still hoping to find a filter system that will work all over. worst place we stay is in arizona. thanks for any advice.
roy 24689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
notanlines

Roy, you don't say where you are from. Arizonans should have the opportunity to strike back! You might be from Illinois and then it would be no contest! (Worst water I remember, anyway) We have tried a couple of filters and no luck. Whatever the brand is that is light blue in color and available from Wally-World is one of them. Yes, they do help, but we sometimes buy four gallons of water and then refill when the water is good.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Pull Toy

If it's taste that's the problem, you probably need a pass thru charcoal filter as suggested. Keep in mind that most CGs have to treat their H2O for health reasons.

Worst water contest? Indiantown Gap, PA. Kind'a tastes like your black water smells....LOL! Come to think of it, it smells that way too, just clear.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
roy 24689

ok as for the arzions to say anything about there water.im sure they will agree with me,quartzsite thats were the water is sooo bad, if you or anyone elce been there they will agree with me and maney others there spending the winter there. also we go to palm springs some of the water is good if its well water if it city water soo much chlorine in it can't drink it.some other parks have so much iron in the water wife dont want to drink any of it.buying water such a pain. i have tried the 3 filters for a few months, also i do have a rv pro 10,000 water softener it helps a lot. when i clean my water heater dont have the white stuff in there coming out as it did before so i know its helping.some things you have to keep trying to find the right thing to work,as you all know to keep the wife happy. right
roy 24689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Your best bet is to install an under sink system with 1-3 cartridges. There are many options available at your local home improvement store. There are many in line filters that are designed to remove sediment before the water enters the RV. Those mostly do not remove chlorine, fluoride, cyst, or lead. They are good for prolonging the life of your water heater, but that's about it. You don't want to filter the entire water system with a filter designed to deliver good drinking water for a couple reasons. One is because many times they reduce water flow/pressure so would not be good for a shower. The other reason, you would be pumping many gallons of water not intended for drinking through them reducing their usable life so you would spend a lot more money on replacement cartridges.

Here is an example of the type of filter I'm talking about. BTW, you still want to use a pre-filter to help prolong the life of the cartridges as well as your water heater.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Aqua-Pure-...+filter+system

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
GaryWT

We use the blue charcoal filter from Walmart but then again we do not drink the water. We shower, brush our teeth and cook somethings with it. We always bring a case of water for drinking and a couple gallons for coffee and other cooking where we do not boil first.

Have you tried a Brita filter.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
bsmith0404

A Brita would be a good temp fix or good for the typical RVer, but I don't think it's the best solution for a full timer. The PUR filters that attach to the faucet work pretty well also, but again I wouldn't go that route as a full timer. The under sink filters remove so many more contaminates and produce much better drinking water.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote