Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
KJJ

Tub surround not sealed, loose fit

Wife was doing a thorough cleanup and noticed that the back wall of the tub surround was loose where it should seal to the tub. I found that there was some adhesive, probably tape, that tried to stick until I reached the corner and when I tried to push that tight the back pulled out - the corner of the surround didn't reach the corner of the tub.

Have a call in to my dealer, but wondering if this is a common thing and what folks have done to fix it - new tape+silicone bead might work if the 4/3/2 year olds we will camp with don't bounce around too much (right...).

TY,

KJ
Old 08-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Our shower (not tub) enclosure walls do not adhere to the shower floor. The shower walls extend over but are not adhered to the bottom of the shower. The shower floor's lip extends up and under the shower walls. We have not had any water intrusion from this and this type of construction is common in many other units.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Tbos

We have a small tub and the surround is not secured to the tub. I've seen post here and talked to others that said it is not supposed to be sealed there. Flexing from travel etc... Would break a sealant loose and then trap water. I know because I tried it on my previous TT. After a few months the silicone RTV was attached to the wall but not the tub. Just wipe it all down after a bath or shower and you should be fine.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
GaryWT

The tub comes up behind the shower walls so the water cannot get to the actual wall. The walls do flex while traveling so, like said above, any sealant will come loose.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
Dave W

I fully understand about the flex situation and why these are not sealed - but I have fixed this on the current 5er as well as the last one by using a good (GE for my use) clear kitchen and bath sealant/silicone. It has quite a bit of movement capability and puts my mind at ease about any potential water intrusion.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:25 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

But if water gets in higher up, say from a small crack, having the bottom not sealed lets the water back into the tub easily.

I sealed one in the past because it did leak from the bottom but would only seal it if I saw it was actually leaking.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:12 AM   #7
nellie1289

I had the same issue on mine, if you pressed on it you could "hear" a sticking sound then it would release. my dealer just added a couple more of the white tabs around the bottom to hold it better but I think others suggestion that is it operating as designed with the tub going up the wall behind it is also accurate. they added a couple of the white tabs on each section of the L. mine is great now, whether the adhesive is holding it or not the tabs are.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote