Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
Andymon

Dash cam

Just wondering if anyone has a dash cam? Best Buy has a nice Uniden I really like and on sale for $129.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I have one, Fangoods 3.5", HD 720 Video DVR. Got it off of Amazon for around $70. Most transporters I know run one. There are many different opinions on which one is best or the best bang for the buck. The way I see it, it's cheap insurance to clear up any question/argument over what really happened in an accident. The main thing is that they have a removable SD card so you can save any footage you want. I think they all will record in a loop so, changing the card out is important so you don't record over footage you want saved. As for mine, so far it's been recording for 8 months without an issue.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
omextreme

Get anything, stuff happens.

My VERY first time towing my new Cougar i got to test the brakes!

https://youtu.be/N5AQT10Rda4
omextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
chartrand

I got this one from Amazon and love it. It turns on automatically when the vehicle is started and off again shortly after the vehicle is turned off. I use it every Day on my 40 min drive to work and back.

Rexing F9 2.7" LCD FHD 1080p 170° Wide Angle Car Dashboard Camera Recorder Dash Cam with G... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TRC3YF0..._-QI-vbFVRNNPV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
I got this one from Amazon and love it. It turns on automatically when the vehicle is started and off again shortly after the vehicle is turned off. I use it every Day on my 40 min drive to work and back.

Rexing F9 2.7" LCD FHD 1080p 170° Wide Angle Car Dashboard Camera Recorder Dash Cam with G... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TRC3YF0..._-QI-vbFVRNNPV

Did you hardwire it?

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
C130

I bought one from Costco about a month ago, $99. I have not hot wired mine though it would be nice. My wife was making fun of me with all the gadgets; observation camera, TPMS, dash cam.

Within the first week of buying it we witnessed a car slam in to the back of a truck at a red light. Truck had been stopped for several seconds and the car just rammed in to the back of it. Young girl, I assume was on the phone or texting. It happened right next to us as we were headed opposite direction.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
chartrand

I did not hard wire it. It uses USB power, or can plug into a cigarette lighter.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
skidooxman

If you run a dash cam, let your insurance company know, Geico gave me a discount for it calling it "safety" equipment.
skidooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
AMIODYNSKI

My first post here, hopefully many more to come. I recently ordered this camera and had it hard wired. Very happy with it so far. Black Box G1W Original Dashboard Dash Cam - Full HD 1080P H.264 2.7" LCD Car DVR Camera Video Recorder with G-Sensor Night Vision Motion Detection WDR 140° Wide Angle 4X Zoom - NT96650 + AR0330
AMIODYNSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #10
GMcKenzie

Hey. I've seen you somewhere

How did you hard wire in the dash cam? And do you have pictures?

Trying to figure out how to wire it into the GMC console, if it's possible.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:08 AM   #11
jamesmc321

Dash cams are great if it "isn't" your fault; but they can, and will, be used against you if it "is" your fault.

It is a sad day when we have to put dash cams in our cars because of frivolous law suites and insurance companies.
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:34 AM   #12
AMIODYNSKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Hey. I've seen you somewhere

How did you hard wire in the dash cam? And do you have pictures?

Trying to figure out how to wire it into the GMC console, if it's possible.

I'll post a picture of it "installed" shortly. I'm on a few forums, mostly GM-Trucks. I ran the cord up in the edge of the headliner, down the A pillar behind the rubber molding, and into the passenger side fuse panel. Took a plug in socket and attached it to Ignition on. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #13
C130

I followed an impaired driver home from work two nights ago and spent about 20 minutes minimum on the phone with a 911 dispatcher. There have been about 8 DUI deaths around Houston in the last week alone. Not one cop ever came and we were stopped in a construction zone for about five minutes and I gave them the guys home address. I finally gave up after being confronted by the entire family out in the street where they blocked me in. All on my dash cam, detailed information given to the dispatcher of direction, streets, etc. the whole time I followed them. This guy was all over the road, couldn't stay in a lane, constantly hitting his brakes.

I finally gave up and left because it was apparent the police were not coming and I have a hard time believing there wasn't one nearby. The 911 dispatcher even told me I might as well leave. This guy was stumbling when he got out of the car but the whole time he was telling me he doesn't drink. That might be the case but he was under the influence of something. There was a guy last Sunday that killed a family of four. A doctor was just arrested for prescribing this guy numerous drugs and had been under investigation for a while. I told the dispatcher I had it all on a dash cam. She took my information but I've yet to hear anything and knew I'd never receive a call so not surprised. My guess is they'll become more common, especially since they are fairly cheap now.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #14
AMIODYNSKI

As you can see, I tucked it behind the rear view mirror. I have the display in a place that doesn't block my view of the road, and yet can be seen from the drivers seat.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIODYNSKI View Post
I'll post a picture of it "installed" shortly. I'm on a few forums, mostly GM-Trucks. I ran the cord up in the edge of the headliner, down the A pillar behind the rubber molding, and into the passenger side fuse panel. Took a plug in socket and attached it to Ignition on. Done.

I'm the guy who pointed you here on the gm-trucks forum.

I keep thinking there must be a way to power one from the power at the mirror or the reading lamps. Trying to see if someone has done this.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #16
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I followed an impaired driver home from work two nights ago and spent about 20 minutes minimum on the phone with a 911 dispatcher. There have been about 8 DUI deaths around Houston in the last week alone. Not one cop ever came and we were stopped in a construction zone for about five minutes and I gave them the guys home address. I finally gave up after being confronted by the entire family out in the street where they blocked me in. All on my dash cam, detailed information given to the dispatcher of direction, streets, etc. the whole time I followed them. This guy was all over the road, couldn't stay in a lane, constantly hitting his brakes.

I finally gave up and left because it was apparent the police were not coming and I have a hard time believing there wasn't one nearby. The 911 dispatcher even told me I might as well leave. This guy was stumbling when he got out of the car but the whole time he was telling me he doesn't drink. That might be the case but he was under the influence of something. There was a guy last Sunday that killed a family of four. A doctor was just arrested for prescribing this guy numerous drugs and had been under investigation for a while. I told the dispatcher I had it all on a dash cam. She took my information but I've yet to hear anything and knew I'd never receive a call so not surprised. My guess is they'll become more common, especially since they are fairly cheap now.
Post it online and give the link to the local media. At the least it will embarrass the cops for not doing anything.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #17
jsmith948

Quote:
Post it online and give the link to the local media. At the least it will embarrass the cops for not doing anything.
Yeah....embarrass the local police....then good luck getting from home to the store without a traffic stop! At least, that's how it would work around here. Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:11 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Yeah....embarrass the local police....then good luck getting from home to the store without a traffic stop! At least, that's how it would work around here. Just sayin'
It's the same "up here in the woods".... There's 4 sheriff's deputy patrol cars and 6 state police that patrol this area. You can bet I see the same deputy and the same state police every time I head to town. I wouldn't want to become an "enemy" of any of them, knowing how often I see the same "smiling face" parked "just over the hill" with radar working in that 55 MPH zone (just before the school zone)............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #19
B-O-B'03

Quote:
I'm the guy who pointed you here on the gm-trucks forum.

I keep thinking there must be a way to power one from the power at the mirror or the reading lamps. Trying to see if someone has done this.
My Son just bought a wire kit to hook his radar detector to the mirror in his car.

I helped him install it and it was pretty easy.

I would think you could use it for other things too, it was pricey though.

-Brian