Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2015, 05:25 AM   #1
jimmyv13

Is this OK?

I've owned my Springdale since 2010 and I've never really noticed this, but don't like the looks of it and I do not feel it's supposed to be like this. The trailer is level and the leaf perches(for lack of the proper term) aren't straight. Is this anything to worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
Pull Toy

NOPE, everything's fine. That lets each axle step over a bump or pothole separately. Kind of like independent suspension for your trailer.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
jimmyv13

Ok, but should it be flat or straight since the trailer is at rest?
Old 08-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Yea it should be level or flat but, you likely still have pressure more on the front of rear axle by parking. Front/rear/side pressure against the axle. It just may have not returned level but, unless damaged it will be flat when towed until a bump etc. in the road. Common to see what you see.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

The ends of the tandem axle equalizer will move up or down as the trailer moves down the road. At rest, it may (or may not) be "level" depending on how the axles and the trailer are loaded. If your trailer is "tail heavy" (as related to how it's parked and loaded) or "tongue heavy", the equalizers will shift to accommodate the weight/angle of approach. If you look at trailers in a campground or on a dealer's lot, you'll see that only a few of them will be parked in such a way that the equalizers are "level". Usually they sit somewhat unlevel. It's just the way trailer suspension "rides" under the chassis rails.

You might want to crawl under your trailer, check the shackles, bolts and the plastic shims that often "wear out" in a few thousand miles. From the looks of your suspension, it hasn't had any maintenance since new? There are a number of threads on the forum about suspension wear, installing wet bolt kits, etc. Read up on some of the issues and the solutions. If you have any questions, post them and I'm sure you'll get answers from the membership.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
jimmyv13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The ends of the tandem axle equalizer will move up or down as the trailer moves down the road. At rest, it may (or may not) be "level" depending on how the axles and the trailer are loaded. If your trailer is "tail heavy" (as related to how it's parked and loaded) or "tongue heavy", the equalizers will shift to accommodate the weight/angle of approach. If you look at trailers in a campground or on a dealer's lot, you'll see that only a few of them will be parked in such a way that the equalizers are "level". Usually they sit somewhat unlevel. It's just the way trailer suspension "rides" under the chassis rails.

You might want to crawl under your trailer, check the shackles, bolts and the plastic shims that often "wear out" in a few thousand miles. From the looks of your suspension, it hasn't had any maintenance since new? There are a number of threads on the forum about suspension wear, installing wet bolt kits, etc. Read up on some of the issues and the solutions. If you have any questions, post them and I'm sure you'll get answers from the membership.
Thanks for the tip on suspension inspection. You are correct, I've not been under there aside from replacing a hub that chunked a bearing earlier this year.