Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2015, 05:24 AM   #1
ColoradoSooner

Weighing tongue with WDH?

Hey everyone!

We just bought our new Passport Elite 23RB yesterday!

The dealer included an Equalizer E4 WDH/Anti-sway with it.

Once we get it all loaded, we're planning to go weigh it.

I've looked at a lot of different things but I'm still (REALLY) confused about determining tongue weight, especially with the WDH.

Do we leave the WDH/Anti-sway bars attached to the trailer when we weigh the tongue? Now that I think about that, is it even possible? I assume the bars add to the tongue weight, yes?

Help! And thank you!
ColoradoSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 AM   #2
bsmith0404

The WDH will transfer tongue weight, that's the purpose of it. If you want to know what you actually have, weigh the truck alone, then hook up, without changing anything else and weigh again. The difference of the rear axle weight is your actual tongue weight when connected. You may also notice a little more weight on your front axle as the WDH is transferring tongue weight to the front.

I know a lot of people who increase air pressure in their back tires when towing. They don't increase front axle air pressure because "the weight at the rear takes weight off the nose". Knowing how much weight you transfer to the front axle is nice and may be enough to make you want to increase air pressure up front as well.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
ColoradoSooner

Okay, that makes sense and so much more clear than anything else I've read. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you want to know the actual tongue weight of the trailer, you'll need to weigh as bsmith0404 stated, then without moving the rig, uncouple the weight bars, leave them "dangling" in the hitch and weigh again. That will give you the "non transferred" weight that is on the rear hitch of your tow vehicle. Then, with the weight of the rig, the weight of the empty truck, the "hitched and transferred" weight and the "hitch weight" you can determine how much your rig weighs, how much is on the tow vehicle when towing, how much the trailer weighs and how much of that is tongue weight as well as axle weight.

If you don't uncouple the bars, you won't be able to calculate the actual weight that is on the trailer axles as part of the "transferred weight" is shifted back to the trailer axles.

It only takes a minute to use the breaker bar, uncouple the hitch bars and get one more weight. Then you can pretty much calculate any weight you want as accurately as possible.

Good Luck, and when you go to the scale, if it's your first time weighing an RV, park off the scale, go inside and discuss your needs with the weighmaster. They are there to help, but if you just drive up onto the scale, even if you can reach the microphone button, they won't know what you're wanting to do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

To add to what JRTJH said, keep something in the front of your rig to reach up and hit the button on the scale. I had to use my breaker bar to do this. Also, if you weigh your rig again within a certain amount of time, it should be cheaper. IIRC, mine was $10 for the first and the $2 for the next two weighs because it was all done within an hour.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
ColoradoSooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you want to know the actual tongue weight of the trailer, you'll need to weigh as bsmith0404 stated, then without moving the rig, uncouple the weight bars, leave them "dangling" in the hitch and weigh again. That will give you the "non transferred" weight that is on the rear hitch of your tow vehicle. Then, with the weight of the rig, the weight of the empty truck, the "hitched and transferred" weight and the "hitch weight" you can determine how much your rig weighs, how much is on the tow vehicle when towing, how much the trailer weighs and how much of that is tongue weight as well as axle weight.
Gah! So much math!

But seriously...thank you! Much appreciated!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
To add to what JRTJH said, keep something in the front of your rig to reach up and hit the button on the scale. I had to use my breaker bar to do this. Also, if you weigh your rig again within a certain amount of time, it should be cheaper. IIRC, mine was $10 for the first and the $2 for the next two weighs because it was all done within an hour.
The local truckstop that has a CAT scale charges the same, $10 for initial weigh and $2 for a re-weigh.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote