Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2015, 03:24 AM   #1
tdawg

surge guard

I have a 2013 Alpine with a plug in 50 amp surge guard protector. Last Sunday the bedroom tv started smoking and the microwave is dead and heat pump side of our dometic unit is making a sound like the compressor is trying to start then shuts off. has anyone else had this happen with this surge protector. I removed surge protector and check power at box it is good. I plugged directly into power box now. Our friends with the same surge protector had the exact same thing happen to them last season. Surge guard was no help for them either. Calling our insurance company today. I'm guessing these surge protectors have problems.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

What brand and model surge protector do you have?

It's never a good thing when you let the smoke out of an electronic item. They almost never work right after they lose their smoke charge

Good Luck with the insurance and let us know about the surge protector, I'd bet there are a number of the same ones in use by forum members... It's always good to know the history of what fails.............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
tdawg

This is the surge guard model 34750 by trc that was purchased from cw. Cannot get a person or returned call from them. Insurance compaNY said to take to repair shop and get estimate. This is the same protector our other camp hosts have and the same problem happened to them last season at a different campground.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
sandy43

I had the exact same model (34750), bought through Amazon. Returned it, because one of the hot legs did not work. It started to smoke at the 50a post. Unplug it in a hurry. Fortunate no damage to RV. I know of another one just like it and theirs were also defective. Sounds like the maker of these need to get their act together.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
tdawg

Exactly mine and our friends were about 2 years old
Old 04-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Has anyone called TRC 727-535-0572? I would suggest talking to the technical guy OR Customer Service. I would be interested in what they say. When you call that number you will be greeted by a MENU. I am sure they will be interested in these failures
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
sandy43

I tried calling them twice. Left 2 messages. Never heard back. after a week of waiting I shipped it back. To this day never heard a word. Wow, that's real customer satisfaction.
I'm not one to return things. When I buy it, it's mine, but with something defective, what choice do I have.

I will say that all the problems I see or hear about is based on the 50a model 34750. The 30a protector might be ok, but I wouldn't gamble on it.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Sandy43, Interesting and no operator there either to switch you to someone? I have to call them about a remote, hopefully I will remember to ask about this 50 AMP portable. How old was it?

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-04-2015, 02:52 AM   #9
rbev2308

After going on Amazon and several other sites, seems this is a common theme of somewhat higher than average failure and horrible customer service. I was just researching this and it seems TRC is the biggest company around providing this but I will look for something else. Sorry you had to experience this. Good Luck!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
tdawg

After numerous attempts to contact customer service. They do not have any customer service evidently I don't know how this company stays in business. I am a plant engineer at a hospital so I know a little about electronics and mechanical service.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
mcsearch1

Progressive Industries makes a surge protector that is highly rated. It is made in America and they do have a responsive customer service department. They are a little pricier than comparable TRC units.
2 dogs
No sleep
mcsearch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #12
tdawg

My TRC says made in Honduras I thought for sure it would be a quality product. Just kidding my Alpine goes into shop Wednesday so will keep you updated on damage.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsearch1 View Post
Progressive Industries makes a surge protector that is highly rated. It is made in America and they do have a responsive customer service department. They are a little pricier than comparable TRC units.
Agreed. I have the hard wired 50 amp model and previously the 30 amp. Both worked perfect and the couple times I called them I got a live person who was helpful and knowledgeable. Made in the USA with a lifetime warranty.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:12 AM   #14
cabinfever

After doing some reading it looks as though both TRC and progressive have failures. Most of what I read were just failures with the unit with no damage to the camper. I'm not defending the failures, just pointing out nothing we ever do or buy is infallible and seems each manufacture has equal failures with portable surge protectors. Harder to find many reviews with the progressive EMS series protectors because there are not as many in service. As for customer service, both companies get the same type of reviews. However, Progressive does seem to have more reviews where it seems they went above and beyond to get a customer going again. My research is by no means scientific or complete. I just quickly read about a couple hundred reviews.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #15
Desert185

Well, this 34750 development is disappointing. I have one, and it has been trouble free while indicating no issues from any shore power. There is more data to argue using it for it's protective features than to not use it, so I'm going to continue to use it while hoping for the best. It's a gamble, and I do have insurance.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #16
tdawg

The problem is if we were not in it it probably would have caught fire. The tv went up in smoke and very hot the power at box was ok and not the problem the RV next to me had no problems plugged into same power post
Old 04-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #17
randy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
After doing some reading it looks as though both TRC and progressive have failures. Most of what I read were just failures with the unit with no damage to the camper. I'm not defending the failures, just pointing out nothing we ever do or buy is infallible and seems each manufacture has equal failures with portable surge protectors. Harder to find many reviews with the progressive EMS series protectors because there are not as many in service. As for customer service, both companies get the same type of reviews. However, Progressive does seem to have more reviews where it seems they went above and beyond to get a customer going again. My research is by no means scientific or complete. I just quickly read about a couple hundred reviews.
Curious how's the review about customer service? I think that's 50% of the biggest problem.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:07 AM   #18
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

OKAY, as I said I would in a previous post, I called TRC's main number I posted previously 727-535-0572. I have talked to their technical representative SEAN Ext. 20311 or call main number and use option 2 then 1. After talking to him he is not aware of any issues with the 34750 model and was interested in hearing from those that have issues. I informed him that I was going to post his extension. Keep in mind that he is the sole company technical rep. who responds to all technical calls. If you do not get him on your first call leave a message or talk to the operator to see if he is in or keep dialing into that number until he answers. For whatever it is worth during my investigation of products I have called this company over a dozen times over a years period and always got a call back. See my previous post EMS INSTALLATION.

We can debate which is better one qualified rep or a group with varying knowledge. Actually I prefer one and I am willing to wait to talk to that person.

Karie, not sure if this is the spelling, is their sole Customer Service/Warranty person.

No, I do not work for them, I quit working 12 to 15 years ago when it was no longer FUN

So for those of you that want to look into this you have all the information, and for those that choice just to post comments I am sure you that will continue.

Be interested in your results.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-07-2015, 03:57 AM   #19
tdawg

Update I did receive a call back from Kari she was very helpful and I am sending back the surge guard for them to test it so will wait and see what the results are so hopefully we are going in the right direction now.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #20
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Thanks for the update

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)