Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2015, 04:09 AM   #1
BlueThunder34

MOUSE in brand new trailer!!!

What a spoiler when preparing our brand new trailer for its first outing, I opened one of the drawers and found 4 mouse turds! I cleaned it up and searched high and low through everything else in the trailer and found nothing more. We went on our trip (disappointed that our new trailer was already violated) and when I returned I put out bounce sheets everywhere and set a snap trap in the drawer. I also went under the trailer and found a "U" cut in the in the underbelly covering (it has the artic package) that they tried using zip ties to close up, very odd! I sealed everything I could see under there with black duct tape. 3 days later I went to check and found the trap in the drawer caught the mouse, no signs of any droppings anywhere.
I'm very discouraged that this is going to be an ongoing problem and question whether we should cut our losses and sell this thing, we have owned older trailers and never had an issue. We do not leave ANY food or water in the trailer and it is cleaned after each trip. With 3 young kids the thought of mice and their diseases is really turning me off to this whole trailer idea (i.e. hantavirus) We really love camping and the memories and family time it creates but this has been keeping me up at night just thinking about it. Am I overreacting to this one mouse and the risks of disease to our family? Is it possible to just have an isolated incidence of one coming in or is it the old where there is one there is usually more? I reset the trap and will keep checking but its really a drag to have this problem with a brand new trailer! Ok done venting now I'm hoping to hear that this is no big deal and does not necessarily mean I will be fighting this for as long as I own this trailer.
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:21 AM   #2
rbev2308

Not to bash you or anything but I have had $400K house built brand new and found roaches on day one. Living near a swamp area will do that. I don't think you should just up and sell as one, you would take a tremendous loss no doubt. I think you can be even more aggressive in ridding the camper because you have the ability to air out and do things you would probably not do in your house. I would set several traps, seal off any entry points and remove any food that is boxed or they could get into. If there are a couple of remote ones running around, yeah they will starve but I would rather catch them as my only concern is a dead mouse in the underbelly would start to smell and monumental task on trying to find it. Like I said, not meant to bash but I would not up and sell my house or my camper for something like this! I a, with you on the Hantavirus I just gotta think you can resolve this as you would in a house!!!
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:33 AM   #3
BlueThunder34

Thanks for the reply, I agree the selling comment is a bit premature at this point. Just is very frustrating to have this issue on the first trip. I'm going to get steel wool and stuff it around all the pipes, set more traps, look everywhere I can to seal up any more holes. Has anyone ever used "Mouse Free"? Its a liquid sprayed on the underbelly and frame that is supposed to help keep them out?
Old 03-14-2015, 04:59 AM   #4
wahoonc

Mice happen... along with a whole range of other critters. You deal with them and move on. One mouse does not an infestation make. I had one Airstream with bird's nests in the overhead cabinets. Remember that the smaller mice can get in through a hole the size of a pencil.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:10 AM   #5
scott24

We use Fresh Cab. All natural and works great. The rodents don't like the smell so they stay away.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:11 AM   #6
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
......... Has anyone ever used "Mouse Free"? Its a liquid sprayed on the underbelly and frame that is supposed to help keep them out?
Yes I have for the first time last fall, so I have yet to find out if it worked, or should I say, did not work.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:14 AM   #7
BlueThunder34

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Yes I have for the first time last fall, so I have yet to find out if it worked, or should I say, did not work.
Did you buy and apply yourself or have it applied at a service center? I see I can buy it online wit the spray gun ( I have an air compressor) for about $150, but I have no idea how much a service center would charge.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:37 AM   #8
notanlines

Direct from CDC website: "What animals can give people hantaviruses?

Only some kinds of mice and rats can give people hantaviruses that can cause HPS. In North America, they are the deer mouse, the white-footed mouse, the rice rat, and the cotton rat. However, not every deer mouse, white-footed mouse, rice rat, or cotton rat carries a hantavirus. Other rodents, such as house mice, roof rats, and Norway rats, have never been known to give people HPS."

Just clean up after the mouse, set a couple traps with peanut butter, and go about your business.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

When you think about the "critters" that use the ground just outside your RV door (at any campground) you've got to realize that we share our "space" with much more than just mice. Do what you can about the potential for more mice to find your RV a comfortable home, don't encourage them by making sure you remove all food during storage, but realize that occasionally, you'll run across something "from the wild" when you're "in the wild".

I'd think a single mouse wouldn't be a "deal" much less a "big deal"....

As for the "U shaped cutout" in the coroplast held closed with zip-ties, that's common practice in the RV industry. If you crawl under any RV (even with an Arctic Package"), you'll find holes, voids, mis-aligned sheets of coroplast and entry places for not only mice, but for cold or warm air in every one of them. Heck, you'll probably find places around your front landing gear, propane line entry points, low point drains, or other "accessory entry points" that would be easy access for small animals. We've even had reports of mice gaining access through the roof vents and air conditioner ducting in the ceiling.

If you look through some of the "arctic package" comments in multiple threads on this (or any other RV forum) you'll come to realize that it's more of a "marketing scheme and a decal on the sidewall" than it is an "energy efficient system to reduce heat loss"..............

I'd end by suggesting that this probably won't be the last time you encounter a "critter in the RV". Just do what you can to prevent their entry and focus on enjoying the outdoors while camping in your RV.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I've dealt with mice since I was a little kid. Never thought about them then. When I grew up and owned a house they became a nuisance and you just killed them with traps. Same to this day. I wouldn't sell the trailer over them.

Hantavirus - you contract hantavirus by breathing air infected with the virus; typically by sweeping or stirring up dust where they have urinated/defecated. A small situation like you described wouldn't be an issue. To be safe you should spray a disinfectant like Varasol over the area so that nothing can become airborn. To be extra safe you can put on a little white dust mask. Just do your best to keep airborn particles to a minimum. I've had experience with this.

To stop the intrusions seal the exterior access points as best you can. Set traps if you want to eliminate any immediate infestation and then use Fresh Cab inside to keep them away.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #11
koko

When we were camping on sandy soil in Myrtle Beach, SC, we had an infestation of ants. We are always very conscious about emptying our trash can often, but one night we didn't empty a few items before we went to bed. The next morning we had little sugar ants everywhere. That was, in my opinion, far worse than a mouse. Someone mentioned Fresh Cab. The mice don't like the smell, but it makes the trailer smell like a pine forest. It's all natural - balsam, I believe. I have also used mesh jewelry bags and made sacks of clove/bay leaves in all of our cabinets. We've never had mice.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
KanTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
...I have also used mesh jewelry bags and made sacks of clove/basil in all of our cabinets. We've never had mice.
Ditto what koko said. You can also use "Whole Bay Leaves" in cotton mesh bags (or NEW cheese cloth). Place bags inside cabinets and/or tie bags to exterior jacks (& your power cord) and place in storage compartments when parked/camping.

Another trick to keep ants away when camping (& yes it works)... crushed CINNAMON Altoids (mints) -OR- children's sidewalk chalk... sprinkle the powder around the base of front/rear jacks, or anything that can be used as an ant bridge.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #13
BlueThunder34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When you think about the "critters" that use the ground just outside your RV door (at any campground) you've got to realize that we share our "space" with much more than just mice. Do what you can about the potential for more mice to find your RV a comfortable home, don't encourage them by making sure you remove all food during storage, but realize that occasionally, you'll run across something "from the wild" when you're "in the wild".

I'd think a single mouse wouldn't be a "deal" much less a "big deal"....

As for the "U shaped cutout" in the coroplast held closed with zip-ties, that's common practice in the RV industry. If you crawl under any RV (even with an Arctic Package"), you'll find holes, voids, mis-aligned sheets of coroplast and entry places for not only mice, but for cold or warm air in every one of them. Heck, you'll probably find places around your front landing gear, propane line entry points, low point drains, or other "accessory entry points" that would be easy access for small animals. We've even had reports of mice gaining access through the roof vents and air conditioner ducting in the ceiling.

If you look through some of the "arctic package" comments in multiple threads on this (or any other RV forum) you'll come to realize that it's more of a "marketing scheme and a decal on the sidewall" than it is an "energy efficient system to reduce heat loss"..............

I'd end by suggesting that this probably won't be the last time you encounter a "critter in the RV". Just do what you can to prevent their entry and focus on enjoying the outdoors while camping in your RV.......

Any idea why they make that cut under there?? Seems odd to do unless the dealership did it for some reason after getting it from the manufacturer?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

I have a small (8"x8") section in the underbelly (coroplast) cut along 3 sides and held in place by plastic ties. When the ties are cut and the flap pulled down, I can see the motor for the slide out. At the end of the motor, there is a nut which is cranked so that you can manually operate the slides - should the battery and/or motor fail.

The access is located on the passenger side of the RV about 2ft in from the front RV wheel.

If you haven't cut the ties to see what "is behind the door" it might be worth your while to do that to see if that is the access to anything or just some mysterious door that doesn't reveal anything behind it!
Old 03-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
ThePressureIsOn

You might want to use copper scrubbers instead of steel wool. Copper doesn't rust like steel wool.
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
TAZ23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePressureIsOn View Post
You might want to use copper scrubbers instead of steel wool. Copper doesn't rust like steel wool.
Or as I use stainless steel wool.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
Any idea why they make that cut under there?? Seems odd to do unless the dealership did it for some reason after getting it from the manufacturer?
As Festus2 said, it's probably access to your slide motor/emergency drive. On some RV's if there was a leak or damage to the plumbing, access ports are often cut in the coroplast by the dealership to replace components or to replace/repair the slide valves for the holding tanks. Sometimes owners will use gorilla tape to seal the holes, but other owners realize there's so much access to the underbelly, that they just use a couple of zip-ties and don't worry about it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #18
chartrand

When cleaning my trailer floors I mop with vinegar. Ants don't like it. I use it at home on my hard wood floors as well. I picked up one of those Rubbermaid mop things with the refillable spray bottle and simply fill it with a 40/60 portion of vinegar and water.m cheap and works really well.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #19
Pmedic4

Mice in your RV and your house

I don't like mice either, and can smell them when I walk into somewhere they've been, and most likely, you have them in your house too. I have to be careful, as I can walk into someone's house and tell right away and have to be careful not to blurt outloud, "you have mice". I'm always surprised many people can't smell them, their feces and urine.

Follow the great advice here, and try all these tips. I didn't see anyone mention sticky traps, but they are great too, but just like the snap traps, check them frequently. Some people don't like that the mice may still be alive when they check them, and dead mice smell too!

Last year, we had mice chew through the wiring for our house AC - thanks for the $200 repair bill, and they also chewed the wiring on my garden tractor.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:04 PM   #20
theeyres

As I guess you can tell by now, most of us do think you were over reacting a bit. Mice are a fact of life and all you can do is everything possible to keep them out. It probably wasn't that any of your past RV's were better sealed to keep mice out, just happened that this one got in. Luck of the draw. Who knows when or where????

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote