Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
tribeal

Directv Genie

Things are getting exciting. We are going to look at our new Montana tomorrow. While im there I want to have them make my camper ready for my Genie dish set up. What do I need to tell them to make sure they understand what I want? We have the HR44 in our living room and a non-wireless mini in our bedroom. my plan is to take both receivers with us when we go on a camping trip along with a slimline SWM dish on a tripod. I would like both receivers to work without having to run any cables through a window. in other words i just want the one cable connected to the sat prep and the two receivers to work independent of each other.
tribeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

I can't say with any certainty, but my DirecTV installer said that the normal coax used by cable companies isn't up to handling the amount of data the dish sends to the main box. They installed a new coax line all the way into the main box junction point.

Will they be installing a line for you, or are you hoping to use the external connector that is pre-wired (assuming your camper has one). That would be my first decision.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
hankaye

tribeal, Howdy;

I can only relate what I have.
I use the STANDARD signal and it works fine with the STANDARD
set-up and control box. and I just had to disconnect the output
from the splitter that also routes the antenna and power booster.

If you want the High Def. stuff you will need 2 (TWO), cables for that,
from what I understand. To my way of thinking, your best bet is to
have the Sat. folks have one of their installers do the job, that way
you will have re-course should there be any problems later.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
tribeal

i want to use the connection outside. I will let them know to use the correct coax to support HD.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #5
tribeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
tribeal, Howdy;

I can only relate what I have.
I use the STANDARD signal and it works fine with the STANDARD
set-up and control box. and I just had to disconnect the output
from the splitter that also routes the antenna and power booster.

If you want the High Def. stuff you will need 2 (TWO), cables for that,
from what I understand. To my way of thinking, your best bet is to
have the Sat. folks have one of their installers do the job, that way
you will have re-course should there be any problems later.

hankaye
Thanks for the reply. I deffinetly want HD. I dont see the point in having the nice big 42"hd tv and not take advantage of it. I might just have a directv guy come do it. thanks for the info. I noticed you have a border collie. we also have have one born the same year. we lover her to pieces.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
therink

My OEM coax (satellite prep) works fine for my directv HD receiver that is located in living room at main tv. I did have to modify the feed to the bedroom TV for the 2nd receiver.
If your receiver requires SWM set up you will need to install the power inserter as well. I doubt your dealer will know how to do this. You are better of in my opinion to have Directv do this.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
tribeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
My OEM coax (satellite prep) works fine for my directv HD receiver that is located in living room at main tv. I did have to modify the feed to the bedroom TV for the 2nd receiver.
If your receiver requires SWM set up you will need to install the power inserter as well. I doubt your dealer will know how to do this. You are better of in my opinion to have Directv do this.
there is a box behind my tv in my living room. it is plugged into the wall and has 2 spots for coax. one coax is going to my dvr and the other cable which connected to the SWM side of that box is going to the splitter under my house i assume. is this the power inserter? if so, couldn't i just have them install the correct splitter between the exterior connection and the two drops, one in the LV and one in the BR?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
bmach

IMO if you have sat prep you would have the correct coax already installed.

As for letting a direct TV do the install, if they are just connecting wires ok. If you need wiring done I would not let most of them near my camper.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
tribeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmach View Post
IMO if you have sat prep you would have the correct coax already installed.

As for letting a direct TV do the install, if they are just connecting wires ok. If you need wiring done I would not let most of them near my camper.
yeah thats what im thinking as well
Old 02-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
mossdavidh

I have the DVR and wireless Genie in my Cougar. Works great. I purchased a Direct TV splitter at Amazon, I placed the splitter, SWM unit and wireless transmitter in the basement and then connected it to the SAT plug on the trailer. I did check the cable in the trailer and it is RG6 which is sufficient for the SAT
mossdavidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #11
tribeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossdavidh View Post
I have the DVR and wireless Genie in my Cougar. Works great. I purchased a Direct TV splitter at Amazon, I placed the splitter, SWM unit and wireless transmitter in the basement and then connected it to the SAT plug on the trailer. I did check the cable in the trailer and it is RG6 which is sufficient for the SAT
is your dish on a tripod or is it one of the automatic ones? if on a tripod what do you use to point it?
Old 02-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
Tbristol

I have a slim line dish on a tripod. I run the cable to the external sat prep. The cable on the wall goes to the power inserter. Then the output on the power inserter goes on to the back of the genie. Now when I added the mini genie in the bedroom. I ran the cable from the wall to the swm switch. One output goes to the power inserter. The other out put goes into the bottom input on the wall that feeds the signal to the back bedroom. It took me 10 minutes. To point your dish when at your location type in the zip code under set up. Then use a compass for the heading. Takes 10 or less minutes.
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote