Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #21
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I bead blast and powder coat them. If the clear is peeling, the finish will show a line. About the only products I know of to remove the rest are strippers that may stain the rims. That's why I strip, bead blast and then powder coat.

Someone else might have a different idea.
Thanks for the advice. I suspected they would have to come off and roughed up a bit Any idea what a ballpark figure would be for blast and powder coating for 6 wheels?
2010 Yorkshire Terrier (Wife, she is the Alpha)
Pulln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #22
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWWOW View Post
I'm just curious because I am have the same decal issue, what assures you that the new decals will not fail and have the same shortcoming as the originals? Are you having a clear coat put on them or something to keep the edges down?

well from what i understand the decals in the 09' time frame had some terribly quality issues and like 2011 keystone said there are only 2 kind of decals

I did consider just painting the ghosted areas with black and/or red but didn't want to deal with the cost of preparing the camper for that.

I do not plan on clearing over them but will look at protectants like 303 aerospace or whatever I can get advice on from here.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #23
Pulln

Quote:
I agree! When I am finished taking mine off I will probably leave them off and just enjoy camping in the big white mint instead of wax on wax off, it makes my coozie shake.
I am considering this as well. The quote I got today for decal install was 1200 dollars!
Old 10-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulln View Post
Thanks for the advice. I suspected they would have to come off and roughed up a bit Any idea what a ballpark figure would be for blast and powder coating for 6 wheels?
I would just be pulling a number out of the air since I'm sure labor rates differ at your end of the states. I know what I would charge, but I don't powder coat to put food on my table and it's not acceptable on this forum to "advertise".

Powder coating has become very popular and I bet there are more than a couple of shops nearby. Here in my town there are 4 shops that I know of, never checked their prices as I don't intend to compete. With that said..most likely the powder coater will have to dismount the tires, blast, coat, and then remount tires, 6 times. If you got a price of $750.00 I would say your being treated fair.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #25
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
That's a nice kit. Cars typically take 4-6 of each color pad (except red, only 1 since it's just applying wax). Unless your paint is really bad, you should not need the polish 1. I'd start with the polish 2 and orange pad. If you can get the swirls/scratches out with that move to the polish 3 with the black pad and then finally put some wax on with the red. I love Black Fire Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba. The reason to stay away from then polish 1, when you polish you are removing microscopic layers of clear coat to remove scratches. You want to remove the least amount as possible to get the desired result. So start with a lesser aggressive product and move up only if needed. The purpose for the second step with the 3 and black is to remove microscopic scratches left behind from the 2. You cannot see them with the naked eye, but they leave a bit of a haze and prevent a true shine. Finally the wax is a protection layer that bends the light to give a better shine. Again, I only use these steps on cars, not worth it on an RV, the difference isn't worth the work. I guess we kind of hijacked this thread, but it is about finishing/waxing the RV.

Definitely appreciate the tips. Its looking like I will be working on the surface a bit before turning it over to the decal folks if I can find a reasonable quote for install. The one guy I spoke with today quoted 1200 dollars. I did ask if I could polish/wax the camper first and said it would be ok but they would wipe the camper down with iso alcohol first and it would remove the wax.

I am looking forward to buffing my wife's 03 altima 3.5. We bought it brand new and still runs like a scalded dog but the black paint needs some attention.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #26
Pulln

Quote:
I would just be pulling a number out of the air since I'm sure labor rates differ at your end of the states. I know what I would charge, but I don't powder coat to put food on my table and it's not acceptable on this forum to "advertise".

Powder coating has become very popular and I bet there are more than a couple of shops nearby. Here in my town there are 4 shops that I know of, never checked their prices as I don't intend to compete. With that said..most likely the powder coater will have to dismount the tires, blast, coat, and then remount tires, 6 times. If you got a price of $750.00 I would say your being treated fair.

Thank you sir, didn't mean to put ya in a spot but after getting a quote of 1200 dollars for the decal install I wanted to make sure buying new OEM wheel wouldnt make better since than blast and coating.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Your welcome. No harm done. I don't blame you for weighing your options. Since I have the equipment and ability to do lots of different things, I don't try to stay informed on labor rates and such.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:39 AM   #28
bsmith0404

Quote:
I am looking forward to buffing my wife's 03 altima 3.5. We bought it brand new and still runs like a scalded dog but the black paint needs some attention.
Going to start on a black car........brave man Enjoy, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to get good results....not saying it isn't a lot of work, but the process is easy. Spend some time with green tape masking off rubber and trim, you will tank yourself. Can get the tape at any auto parts store.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:29 AM   #29
BOWWOW

Quote:
I am considering this as well. The quote I got today for decal install was 1200 dollars!
Yes indeed $1200 is a lot every 3-4 years just to maintain poor quality. Mine started peeling after 1 year, I got the big nope from keystone when I called so I think I am choosing not to pay for their free advertisement on my rig .

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #30
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Going to start on a black car........brave man Enjoy, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to get good results....not saying it isn't a lot of work, but the process is easy. Spend some time with green tape masking off rubber and trim, you will tank yourself. Can get the tape at any auto parts store.

thanks for the tape tip. It reminded me of something I did when I was younger and too motivated.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #31
Pulln

Quote:
Yes indeed $1200 is a lot every 3-4 years just to maintain poor quality. Mine started peeling after 1 year, I got the big nope from keystone when I called so I think I am choosing not to pay for their free advertisement on my rig .
I am considering possibly taping off the ghosted areas and painting over them. The thought of going through this again in a year or two pains me and to pay 1200 dollars for the privilege kills me.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I am considering possibly taping off the ghosted areas and painting over them. The thought of going through this again in a year or two pains me and to pay 1200 dollars for the privilege kills me.
If you can find a graphics shop that you trust, talk to them about replacement decals, how to make them more durable and expected longivity. Another option is to paint over them to keep some kind of "color and pattern" on your RV.

Think back to the fall of 2005 when all those "plain white trailers" were headed to New Orleans. Maybe FEMA did have the right idea not installing decals, but man were those some "plain Jane" RV's......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #33
bsmith0404

Quote:
For $1200 , or a little bit more, you can probably get some pretty decent striping painted on. Then you only need to keep some touch up paint around for any nicks/chips/scratches.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #34
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you can find a graphics shop that you trust, talk to them about replacement decals, how to make them more durable and expected longivity. Another option is to paint over them to keep some kind of "color and pattern" on your RV.

Think back to the fall of 2005 when all those "plain white trailers" were headed to New Orleans. Maybe FEMA did have the right idea not installing decals, but man were those some "plain Jane" RV's......

The sad thing is I have the decals and have removed all the old ones and residual adhesive. I haven't personally priced decal installs as a factor new option but was told it is in the neighborhood of 1800 dollars.

I did get a second quote and they wanted 1100 dollars.

The first quote was for 3 guys and a day or 24 man hours of labor so 50 dollars an hour per person. The second quote didn't state the number of people but said it would take a day.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #35
VegasBT

Vinyl Wrap?

I saw someone on this forum (or another, I've become a forum addict) talk about a vinyl wrap as an alternative to painting. You may want to see if this is an option?
VegasBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #36
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBT View Post
I saw someone on this forum (or another, I've become a forum addict) talk about a vinyl wrap as an alternative to painting. You may want to see if this is an option?
I've asked the folks that gave me the second quote for info on wrapping the camper. I'll post what the come back with as soon as I get it.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The sad thing is I have the decals and have removed all the old ones and residual adhesive. I haven't personally priced decal installs as a factor new option but was told it is in the neighborhood of 1800 dollars.

I did get a second quote and they wanted 1100 dollars.

The first quote was for 3 guys and a day or 24 man hours of labor so 50 dollars an hour per person. The second quote didn't state the number of people but said it would take a day.
If you have the decals and you've already proven that you know how to remove defective ones, what have you got to lose by just trying it for yourself. From my very limited experience in the military and putting decals on my snowmobile trailer, it's honestly not that difficult (except for maybe the big one on the front cap). With a little dawn and water in a spray bottle, getting them in place without wrinkles isn't that difficult and the self satisfaction of completing the job is a great feeling.

Rather than pay someone $1200, I'd start with a couple of the smaller decals, work up to the bigger ones as your experience and courage permit. Even if you mess a couple of them up, you have the expertise to remove them. Replacing a couple from EBay sources wouldn't be nearly the cost of having someone apply them for you. Besides, who's to say they wouldn't "screw it up" worse than you would?????

I'd tackle it if I were you

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #38
Pulln

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you have the decals and you've already proven that you know how to remove defective ones, what have you got to lose by just trying it for yourself. From my very limited experience in the military and putting decals on my snowmobile trailer, it's honestly not that difficult (except for maybe the big one on the front cap). With a little dawn and water in a spray bottle, getting them in place without wrinkles isn't that difficult and the self satisfaction of completing the job is a great feeling.

Rather than pay someone $1200, I'd start with a couple of the smaller decals, work up to the bigger ones as your experience and courage permit. Even if you mess a couple of them up, you have the expertise to remove them. Replacing a couple from EBay sources wouldn't be nearly the cost of having someone apply them for you. Besides, who's to say they wouldn't "screw it up" worse than you would?????

I'd tackle it if I were you

Good Luck

The lovely wife and I are definitely looking at this coa as well. As a still highly motivated prior sailor the will and desire is there. My biggest concern was screwing up one of the decals but didn't know these things were being sold on ebay.

I sincerely appreciate the motivation and vote of confidence and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #39
chuckster57
Site Team

If you want more info on DYI decal install, PM me.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #40
Pulln

Quote:
If you want more info on DYI decal install, PM me.
pm sent. thanks for taking me under your wing and thanks for your years as a LEO. I have two Uncles that retired as LEO's and a brother that is one.