Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
[email protected]

Bike Rack

We just bought an Outback in September. The dealer in Sturgeon Bay WI told us that all we needed was an adapter to put on the back bumper (only $50 bucks!). After looking into that small gadget, it doesn't seem right. We have 4 bikes to be put somewhere with a new 4 bike Yakima rack. We are towing with a Nissan Armada. Any help/thoughts??
santante@uwec.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Seann
Permanent User Ban

Put a hitch receiver on the FRONT of the TV.. this works very well...
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Outbackmel

Bike rack experience

Had a 3 bike hanging hauler on the rear bumper of my previous TT, 31 ft Hornet. Same deal on the 36ft 5er....never an issue....placed the 2 inch receiver "above" the bumper, versus under, for support. Use 2 loop "soft ties" ; one around the farthest bicycle extended frame weight and the other around the rear bumper. Use a "ratchet" style tie down by hooking each end "s" into each loop and ratchet them secure. Takes pressure off the road movement that forces bounce back there. Works like a charm!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
[email protected]

how to put a rack in the front?

How does this work? In front of the propane tanks?
Old 12-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Seann
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How does this work? In front of the propane tanks?
If you are referring to my post I meant on front of the tow vehicle... not the trailer.
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
[email protected]

outbackmel

Do you have a picture of this? I am such a rookie!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Outbackmel

Bike rack photo

I will check file photos later today...not sure. I keep the RV on site in a resort 55 miles from home. (North GA mountains). We just returned from a FL trip and I am going up there this week, bikes are still hanging on the RV. Came home in 10 hours of a monsoon, followed by 16 hours of downpour. Had to winterize in that mess IF I do not have a good photo, I will take one and post it.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
Outbackmel

More on the bike rack

I did not have any good photos of the rack to share. The weather in north GA mountains has been "brutal" and no immediate relief in sight. Had planned to go up there over this weekend, BUT, cold; rain, possible snow and WIND makes me rethink staying in front of the fire at home I'll "git r done" but timing is everything with these pesky weather patterns.....I am re-thinking FL for February
Old 12-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #9
duh1

aDVANTAGE V BIKE RACK

I found a bike rack that fits on the hitch tongue just in front of the ball (lets see, that would be between the ball and the back of the truck). There is about s 3 inch space between the ball and the hitch mount and this one takes up about 1 inch in space). Basically it holds two bikes, runs about 80 bucks and works. I am hauling passdport 2910bh with chevy silverado and it makes it a bit of a challenge to get into the back of the truck (have camper shell) but you can get the hatch open. My bike is pretty tall and shorter bikes might not interfere as much with the camper hatch.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Mrmule79

BE CAREFUL.... Keystone does not warrenty any damage because they did not install the bike rack.. I went through this with them when my bumper broke and the bikes hit the back of the camper. It was a two bike rack with the 2" tube mounted on top of the bumper.
Mrmule79 is offline   Reply With Quote