Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 AM   #1
gwbillett

LED Lumen Question

So i know there are a ton of LED posts and I think I have read most of them..

My question is what Lumen is everyone going with? The DW wants the 3200K color temp (warm yellow) which is fine but I'm trying to decide on what Lumen I should get. She wants something a little dimmer than the stock incondesent bulbs. I bought a 2 pack from our local dealer that are 70 lumens but were 6700K. They are a little blueish white and DW seemed to be ok but not for the rest of the camper and they seemed to be just right for right over the bed but I'm concerned they might not be bright enough for the rest of the camper. I have read that right around 350 lumen is close or maybe a tad brighter than the stock bulbs.

I couldn't find anything in all the posts about what everyone was going with.

Let me hear your thoughts...
Old 04-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
outwest

For color temp, the closest to true daylight I have found is 5000K. In our business I've tried everything from 4500K to 6500K and 5000K was the winner. It didn't make greens appear blue and didn't make blue items look bluer than they truly are. 5500K is a bit on the blue side, not much, but still made green items in the shop appear a bit on the blue side. Of course the hard part is finding ones that are a true 5000K.

For lumens, the more the better, imho. But, I like a lot of light, especially with my older eyes. Once I crossed the 40 threshold, the eyes started going to heck. Now that I'm 47 I can't see worth a darn without bright light and 2.75 readers.

In fact, I'm considering adding another ceiling light to the bathroom. The one that came factory installed just isn't enough imho. But, it really just depends on your personal preference. For things like nightstand lights, I can see using a lower lumen so as not to disturb your partner, but for general lighting, the more the better, imho. Of course, if you boondock, then I would suggest an extra light switch so that you can leave some of them off in order to make batteries last as long as possible. I seldom boondock, and even then only for one night at a time, so that's not an issue for me, your situation may be different, though.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but...

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
gwbillett

I've heard the same thing that 5K was about the same as day light. I don't mind the whiter or even the blueish color as much as long as it isn't too blueish shall we say.

I found these
http://www.m4products.com/921-24-505...th-wedge-base/

just trying to find the best bang for the buck that are of good quality.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
wtxdxer

Those look about like the same thing I bought from an eBay vendor from China. I replaced all my 921 bulbs with those. Here is a little writeup I did on my LED replacement.

http://www.n5na.net/s9y/index.php?/a...with-LEDs.html

Regards,

Alan
Old 04-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
gwbillett

Wow those look a lot bigger than the amazon ones. Did you have any issues with them fitting at all? I've look at the ones on ebay but most of them don't give the kelvin value. The DW really doesn't want the bluefish color.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
wtxdxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbillett View Post
Did you have any issues with them fitting at all?
No, they fit in the fixture just fine although they are up against the aluminum reflector. That's why I did the temperature measurements.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:46 AM   #7
gwbillett

So I went and ahead and ordered these.....

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Stars-921...s=921+led+bulb

I figured these were the middle of the road and best bang for the buck. I did find cheaper ones on Ebay but I didn't want to take the chance and I really only spent about $20 bucs more for these. I also ordered 4 more to finish it off. Our Bullet 308BHS has 28 light bulbs (not fixtures) so in total I spent around 100 bucs to do the interior of Bullet. the OEM ones do get REALLY Hot and the DW really didn't like that.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
trackstand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbillett View Post
So I went and ahead and ordered these.....

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Stars-921...s=921+led+bulb

I figured these were the middle of the road and best bang for the buck. I did find cheaper ones on Ebay but I didn't want to take the chance and I really only spent about $20 bucs more for these. I also ordered 4 more to finish it off. Our Bullet 308BHS has 28 light bulbs (not fixtures) so in total I spent around 100 bucs to do the interior of Bullet. the OEM ones do get REALLY Hot and the DW really didn't like that.
Post up Your thoughts after You have installed them!

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 CC LB Hemi

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
trackstand is offline   Reply With Quote