Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
FTWingRiders

Shelf life of a RV.. or how long do you hope it is..

Hello all..

Here is my scenario.. My wife and I bought a new 2014 325SRX last year believing we would have a solid 4 weeks a year to enjoy. Plus an occasional long weekend. The 2 older teenagers will out on their own in a year or two, leaving the 9 year old in the bunk. We also had a week that just the two of us were going to use it regularly.

I've built a fully enclosed barn to keep it in, with 50A service. I plan of holding onto this unit for a long time.

Now it looks like we will only be able to use it maybe 2 weeks a year. I will still be doing all the regular maintenance, lube, wax, seals..etc.

Here is my question.. What kind of life expectancy do you expect from your camper? I realize most of you will use your more than I could ever hope for until I retire someday. Besides the maintenance, how long is the shelf life of todays RV. Do you believe that after 10 years of an easy life, then being used a lot, there will be major issues...

So how long do you hope to keep your RV?

Thanks! Forrest
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
bsmith0404

There are RVs a lot older than that on the road. Yes you will have some issues with an older RV, some mechanicals will need to be replaced. An RV is actually a pretty simple box. If it's well maintained and has limited use, I don't see why you couldn't get many more years out of it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
campingcpl

My parents just traded in a 10+ year old Sunnybrook that they full timed in and it was still in good shape. We are going on 5 years on our trailer with no major issues other than peeling graphics. It's just like anything, if you take care of it it will take care of you for a long time.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
Ram189

I just traded a 2000 Citation 30U on my new 2014. I used it every year for at least 1 weekend a month, mostly boon docking. Including 6 trips to Fla and one Nascar weekend a month during the summer. It would usually get stored outdoors from Oct - March and then back on the road.
I never had less than 4 people in it at a time and, knock on wood, never had any problems out of it.

Keep it clean inside and out. Keep the rodents out of it and properly winterize it and you won't have any problems with your trailer.

Hope this was not too much info or overload.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
theeyres

When I was in my 30's & 40's I regularly bought trailers 10-20 years old and never had any big problems with any of them. A new set of tires was all any ever needed. And they were always stored outside in all the elements. You will easily be able to keep it for as long as you want.

I don't keep them as long as you plan, but only because my needs change or I want something different.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I think travel trailers are much like any equipment or even a house. If it sits empty without being used the systems will start to deteriorate, seals dry out, gas systems tend to bleed down, compressors dry out, rubber seals get brittle, even mattresses get rusty springs, and the list goes on and one. The best thing for any "group of mechanical systems" designed to work together is to work them together. The best thing to do with any camper, then, is to use it and to maintain it. Letting it sit is probably the worst thing you can do to it if you're expecting any significant longevity.

With regular upkeep, use and a good level of "ownership" care (rather than ownership abuse) it's not unreasonable to expect 15 or 20 years with an occasional failure of a major component that must be replaced.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWingRiders View Post
...Do you believe that after 10 years of an easy life, then being used a lot, there will be major issues...
My inlaws just traded in their 10 year old 2003 FR Spinaker on a new 2013/2014 (?) Redwood. They didn't full-time, but they used it quite frequently.

It was used/stored outside. They live in Buffalo, NY (imagine winters )

My father-in-law was meticulous about care. The RV was in perfect condition when he traded.

Quote:
...So how long do you hope to keep your RV?....
I'm hoping 10-12 years.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
When I was in my 30's & 40's I regularly bought trailers 10-20 years old and never had any big problems with any of them. A new set of tires was all any ever needed. And they were always stored outside in all the elements. You will easily be able to keep it for as long as you want.

I don't keep them as long as you plan, but only because my needs change or I want something different.

I agree, I used to buy older units, and I believe they had a heavy duty, rock solid feel to them that new unit sometimes lack. Don't get me wrong, I love my new 5'er with all the amenities they come with.

We were thinking trading in about 10 years when retirement rolls our way, (hopefully), but now that we're only going to use maybe 50% of what we thought, it should still be in great shape to go the distance for us.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think travel trailers are much like any equipment or even a house. If it sits empty without being used the systems will start to deteriorate, seals dry out, gas systems tend to bleed down, compressors dry out, rubber seals get brittle, even mattresses get rusty springs, and the list goes on and one. The best thing for any "group of mechanical systems" designed to work together is to work them together. The best thing to do with any camper, then, is to use it and to maintain it. Letting it sit is probably the worst thing you can do to it if you're expecting any significant longevity.

With regular upkeep, use and a good level of "ownership" care (rather than ownership abuse) it's not unreasonable to expect 15 or 20 years with an occasional failure of a major component that must be replaced.
I totally agree with that train of thought, I plan on doing all needed maintenance, and testing systems regularly. it will be interesting to see how things hold up in these days of cheaper materials and cost cutting.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
My inlaws just traded in their 10 year old 2003 FR Spinaker on a new 2013/2014 (?) Redwood. They didn't full-time, but they used it quite frequently.

It was used/stored outside. They live in Buffalo, NY (imagine winters )

My father-in-law was meticulous about care. The RV was in perfect condition when he traded.

I'm hoping 10-12 years.
That was my thought..10-12. However now with less planned usage, if with proper care it it would last longer, it would certainly leave more coin in the coffer when we hit the road full time!!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
airforceret

1) If the barn is not climate controlled, I'd suggest you pay attention to humidity and be sure there is adequate ventilation year round to prevent moisture buildup in the barn, as well as in the RV. Good air flow goes a long way in the extending the life of an RV

2) Maybe an old wise tail, but if the tires are not elevated off the ground, be sure to park it on wood (not gravel or concrete) to help extend the life of the tires. Taking them off and stacking them on their sides is a plus, but plan on replacing them after about 4 to 5 years regardless of wear or mileage if you want to minimize risk of blowouts. You can sell them on craigslist and get a few bucks. Someone can use them on their hay wagon for years.

3) A lightweight indoor cover is a plus to keep the dust from collecting everywhere (inside and out). Dust can be very abrasive and some can be corrosive.

With periodic use and normal maintenance, it should last 20 or 30 years, maybe longer.

Good luck..
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
antiqfreq

We have had our fiver since Feb. 2008, bought it new, as it was a previous year leftover.

We still have it. No plans to get rid of it. We have only been out twice this year
and will go again next weekend.

Can't get out much anymore as I am a fulltime caregiver to my mom who lives with me; but when she is up to it, we can get out.

Best of luck to you,

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
gotf7

Quote:
Hello all..

Here is my scenario.. My wife and I bought a new 2014 325SRX last year believing we would have a solid 4 weeks a year to enjoy. Plus an occasional long weekend. The 2 older teenagers will out on their own in a year or two, leaving the 9 year old in the bunk. We also had a week that just the two of us were going to use it regularly.

I've built a fully enclosed barn to keep it in, with 50A service. I plan of holding onto this unit for a long time.

Now it looks like we will only be able to use it maybe 2 weeks a year. I will still be doing all the regular maintenance, lube, wax, seals..etc.

Here is my question.. What kind of life expectancy do you expect from your camper? I realize most of you will use your more than I could ever hope for until I retire someday. Besides the maintenance, how long is the shelf life of todays RV. Do you believe that after 10 years of an easy life, then being used a lot, there will be major issues...

So how long do you hope to keep your RV?

Thanks! Forrest
We just purchased a 2014 Springdale to replace our 1991 Prowler we owned it since 95 it was parked on a permanent site ever since, both my kids and many of there friends grew up in that 29 footer. Except for the new cooling unit I installed in the fridge everything else is original. We used that rig virtually every weekend from May long weekend till October long weekend! Hope this new Springdale serves us as well as the Prowler has.
gotf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #14
Western Traveler

Gotf7
You brought back memories. We had a 68' 22ft Prowler (Avacado interior!) Bought it in 88' kept it on a river site on the lower Colorado in harsh desert climate where it had been since nearly new for another 3 years. Sealed the roof seams a couple of times, reupholstered and changed out the air conditioner. When we finally upgraded I sold it in town after servicing it and new tires. Two years later I received a thank you card from the young family that bought it saying how they had towed it all over the Southwest and loved it. It wasn't the nicest looking rig on the road but it was still being enjoyed and back then they built like weight didn't matter.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #15
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Traveler View Post
Gotf7
You brought back memories. We had a 68' 22ft Prowler (Avacado interior!) Bought it in 88' kept it on a river site on the lower Colorado in harsh desert climate where it had been since nearly new for another 3 years. Sealed the roof seams a couple of times, reupholstered and changed out the air conditioner. When we finally upgraded I sold it in town after servicing it and new tires. Two years later I received a thank you card from the young family that bought it saying how they had towed it all over the Southwest and loved it. It wasn't the nicest looking rig on the road but it was still being enjoyed and back then they built like weight didn't matter.
I think thats what is going thru my mind... Those older units were really built tough. They were heavy, but Heavy duty too. Todays use of lighter materials is great for saving fuel, and I'm sure every piece is scrutinized to make sure it is the cheapest they can use too. However, will they really hold up in the long term, providing years and years of relatively trouble free fun?

These days of everything being disposable kills me. I was raised by an Ol' yankee farmer who grew up in the great depression who never threw ANYTHING away..lol.. I'm not nearly as bad, but when I buy something, I expect it to last, wiith proper care and maintenance of course. I'm very happy taking care of something if it takes care of me too! I guess only time will tell.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #16
gotf7

Quote:
I think thats what is going thru my mind... Those older units were really built tough. They were heavy, but Heavy duty too. Todays use of lighter materials is great for saving fuel, and I'm sure every piece is scrutinized to make sure it is the cheapest they can use too. However, will they really hold up in the long term, providing years and years of relatively trouble free fun?

These days of everything being disposable kills me. I was raised by an Ol' yankee farmer who grew up in the great depression who never threw ANYTHING away..lol.. I'm not nearly as bad, but when I buy something, I expect it to last, wiith proper care and maintenance of course. I'm very happy taking care of something if it takes care of me too! I guess only time will tell.
100% agree, my neighbors call me anal I call it preventative maintenance!
gotf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
Suzbee

We have a 2004 Cougar. Just store it under cover, use it often, keep it maintained. Just updated the inside
Take care of it & enjoy life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #18
Western Traveler

Suzbee,
Nice job, it looks great.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #19
outwest

Quote:

I hear ya. My mother is still using the chest freezer that she bought nearly 50 years ago and it's still going strong and never needed any repairs. Meanwhile a lady I know is now on her 3rd new chest freezer in the past 12 years. They just don't make stuff like they used to

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #20
LuvsPalmTrees

We had a new 88 Coleman Popup - traded it in for a new 1999 25 Foot Mallard. We used that Mallard 5 or 6 times per year and sold it in 2012 for a 2012.5 Laredo 294RK. We sold it to a couple who put it on a permanent lot and they are still using it. We don't anticipate getting rid of the Laredo for a long time. We have never had any major repairs on any of them, just the usual maintenance and upkeep.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote