Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
bdaniel

Transfer Switch and Hard Start Capacitor

I have a Honda EU3000i generator I purchased in 2002. I used it to run a 13.5k AC in a Forest River Wildcat with direct cable hookup. Then in a 2012 Copper Canyon with a 15k AC and a Progressive Dynamics 30 amp transfer switch.

Both worked with no problems.

Now I have a 2014 Cougar 325SRX. I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD52 50 amp transfer switch. For one thing I don't like the hum it makes even when using shore power. The relays must be energized in both states.

Also the relay kicks out when running my generator in economy mode and an AC compressor kicks in. I think it has a sensor that kicks out if the generator voltage drops below 90volts.

This is frustrating. I have been running ACs with this generator since 2002.

Does anyone know if a hard start capacitor for the ACs will solve this problem? The are cheap and are probably a good upgrade to the ACs anyway.

Also I would love to replace the ATS with a manual transfer switch. I know that will never fail and it won't hum. I have searched and can only find 2 pole double throw switches. With 50 amp service we need 3 pole switches.

Thanks,
Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 AM   #2
bg71361

It should solve your problem, I've bought mine but have not installed and tested yet, weather has been a lil cold. Cost. Was around $20 if I can find the link for the capacitor I will post it.
Good luck!
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote