Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Dodgeman

EZ Flex and Wet Bolts

I have a 2012 passport 238ml and I have been reading so much about ez flex and wet bolts on other Rv forums I almost dont dare to leave town without having it done. If its so good why doesnt Dexter put them on from the get go?

Dodgeman GR MI
Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I would venture to guess that the decision to use EZ Flex and wet bolts is not Dexter's but one made by Keystone, the manufacturer. Keystone decides what type of components they will use, their cost and goes from there. If company A can provide 10,000 units for X dollars and company B can't match or better this bid, then guess who Keystone will choose?

Just because EZ flex and wet bolts are superior to another system which is most likely cheaper that doesn't mean Keystone will spend the extra $$ to install something better.

It's the same reason why Keystone and other RV manufacturers skimp on tires, suspension systems, and other components. Why spend $100 on a tire when they can get one for $50?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
PA5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I would venture to guess that the decision to use EZ Flex and wet bolts is not Dexter's but one made by Keystone, the manufacturer. Keystone decides what type of components they will use, their cost and goes from there. If company A can provide 10,000 units for X dollars and company B can't match or better this bid, then guess who Keystone will choose?

Just because EZ flex and wet bolts are superior to another system which is most likely cheaper that doesn't mean Keystone will spend the extra $$ to install something better.

It's the same reason why Keystone and other RV manufacturers skimp on tires, suspension systems, and other components. Why spend $100 on a tire when they can get one for $50?
Well said my friend. Well said.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Bluewater

You may want to think about it sooner than later. These pics are of my 2011 Laredo 5er just after 2 years. Broken shackles and totally wore out bushings. I went with the Never Fail bushings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8179.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	5167   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8180.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	5168  
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Comparing the old and the new is kind of a no-brainer as to quality.

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
MarkS

Hank, what brand are those wet bolts?

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Hank, what brand are those wet bolts?
They are Dexter. I got them as a kit with the EZ-Flex equalizer. Worth every penny. I bought them a few years ago, at that time they were under $150 on sale directly from Dexter. You can also just get the wet-bolts and bushings if you don't want their equalizer. I would recommend the whole kit, it makes a big difference in the vibration transfered to the trailer from the suspension. JM2¢, Hank
Old 03-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Sherwood

Just ordered my Dexter E-Z Flex kit for when this white stuff melts off. If it ever melts off.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
Dodgeman

Well Im back on talking about this again. As you probably figured I work at a Dodge dealer and I have been checking with some of the techs I know that are associated with the RV business, and also Talked with a few customers that are RV owners. The techs are not real high on wet bolts they say you have issues if you have a wet bolt that wont take greese they are havoc with a brass bushing, they recommand replace the fiber bushing every 5 years. I also noticed the price on the Dexter site has gone up a lot. O well I will think about it some more. And it is hard for me to believe that Dexter would make a trailer that after 2 years and 5000 miles I would need to overhaul the suspension.

Dodgeman
Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
mguay

If your wet bolt won't take grease...it was installed incorrectly! You have to install them with the grease hole indexed in the right place. Usually on the side of the bolt that is not carrying the weight.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeman View Post
Well Im back on talking about this again. As you probably figured I work at a Dodge dealer and I have been checking with some of the techs I know that are associated with the RV business, and also Talked with a few customers that are RV owners. The techs are not real high on wet bolts they say you have issues if you have a wet bolt that wont take greese they are havoc with a brass bushing, they recommand replace the fiber bushing every 5 years. I also noticed the price on the Dexter site has gone up a lot. O well I will think about it some more. And it is hard for me to believe that Dexter would make a trailer that after 2 years and 5000 miles I would need to overhaul the suspension.

Dodgeman
I was not aware that Dexter made Keystone trailers???? My plastic bushings were shot in 2 years (5,000 mi)... If I had waited 5 the springs and hangers would have had to be replaced too. I now have over 10,000 mi on the Bronze bushings and there is no evidence of wear. Lippert makes the frames, Keystone assembles the trailer and Dexter makes some parts for them ... mostly brake assemblies. The parts that you see failing here are not Dexter parts but Dexter makes parts to replace them. As mentioned, wet bolts work fine if installed properly according to instructions. Hopefully this clears things up a little, Hank
Old 03-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I was not aware that Dexter made Keystone trailers???? My plastic bushings were shot in 2 years (5,000 mi)... If I had waited 5 the springs and hangers would have had to be replaced too. I now have over 10,000 mi on the Bronze bushings and there is no evidence of wear. Lippert makes the frames, Keystone assembles the trailer and Dexter makes some parts for them ... mostly brake assemblies. The parts that you see failing here are not Dexter parts but Dexter makes parts to replace them. As mentioned, wet bolts work fine if installed properly according to instructions. Hopefully this clears things up a little, Hank
And to add to the mix. The equalizers are obtained by Lippert from a company called Al-ko. Dexter makes a kit that replaces the whole thing, or you can but just the bolts and bushings. I've gotten quite an education on this stuff today.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Hank,
Did you replace the entire assemblies or just install the bronze bushings and wet bolts? I'm also interested in what equalizers came on your trailer.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
Dodgeman

I dont know what frame is under it, but I purchased the rv new and it had a Dexter manual in the owner packet along with all the other manuals.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I dont know what frame is under it, but I purchased the rv new and it had a Dexter manual in the owner packet along with all the other manuals.
Your RV is built on a Lippert frame, it probably has Dexter axles, maybe Dexter springs/maybe not, who knows what company made the hangers, bolts and nylon bushings. The equalizers are either Al-Ko, Mor-ride, or maybe even Lippert.

Keystone buys in mass contracts from the lowest bidder. What's under your RV may not be the same as what's under the same model in last year's run, but you can be pretty certain that it was the cheapest bidder's product.

The Dexter wet bolt kit is probably the most reliable way to update your trailer. As for the recommendations you got from the guys you talked to, if you wait 5 years, you'll probably crawl under your trailer to find the same thing that's pictured in the first couple of posts in this thread.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Hank,
Did you replace the entire assemblies or just install the bronze bushings and wet bolts? I'm also interested in what equalizers came on your trailer.
I don't know what brand they are but it is clear where they were made.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #17
Bluewater

Quote:

Dodgeman
If you wait to replace the busjing every 5 years when they wear out at 2 years it will be a serious problem. Look at my post above to see what happens just after two years. I installed the Never Fail bushing but each to his own choice other than orig equip.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #18
SAABDOCTOR

have to agree with you about the bolt not being installed correctly also clean the fitting before pumping grease in. NOTHING LIKE PUMPING GRIT AND DIRT INto the fitting.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
wbdvt

I haven't picked my new TT (Cougar XLite 21RBS) up from the dealer but it has the MOR/ryde 3000 suspension, so I don't think I will have problems. On the MOR/ryde website, it shows bronze bushings and the rubber spring. There is no maintenance other than making sure the rubber spring has not worn out.

How does this compare with the Dexter setup? I know it is definitely better than the pic in Hankpage posting with the China bracket.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:58 AM   #20
mguay

With my 5er hitting the 5 yr mark this Spring. I've replaced the bushing and wet bolts twice now. If I had to guess...I'd say there is probably 30,000 miles on it. (I wore out a set of China bombs before they blew up ). At the end of season 2 I got a wet bolt kit and bronze bushings from TrailAir. (Before Lippert bought them out). At the end of season 4 they were junk again and the EquaFlex's were both cracked and bent. The springs were listing on the slide side as well. I tore it all out and ordered the complete Dexter HD kit with ezFlex as well. I also noticed that all the spring perches were layed over in one direction and not plumb. Between this and the flimsy shackle links...I'm sure that's why everything was wore out. I straightened the shackles and not only braced the outboard side of the I beam web, but I also ran a piece of 1 1/2" angle from side to side between the frame shackles. It also got new springs.
I just completed a 1700 mile trip from NH to The Keys and I must say the 5er rode the smoothest ever! It is a side kitchen model right above the axles. Normally we would have to take everything off the counter or it would be on the floor. When we left I forgot the paper towel holder on the counter....and it never moved! If you've ever driven I95 before....you'll understand why I'm so excited!

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk