Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
FullTimer

School me on Awning Repair

Ok, in the spirit of spring being just around the corner, yeah right, and it being 60 degrees here, I pulled my awning out for several reasons. One being I don't think it's been out in a VERY VERY long time. Second is, to replace the short pull strap with one the right length. Ever try to get an awning deployed without it, by yourself? It's a wrestling match lol. It does have some pin holes next to the drip rail, to be expected, by how firmly it resisted rolling out and the general age feel. I didn't force it, just let it slowly pull out. But it has been replaced once for sure, or they have had the awning off. they rotated the tube so the cam lock is behind the tube pointed at the trailer when rolled up . It should be facing out.

Soooo that brings us to next step, a replacement awning for the long anticipated spring thaw? I'm aware of the spring danger and that will be covered when doing this myself with my eldest son. I saw several suppliers with material from $125 and up on Ebay. My awning is around 18 feet long, with about 16" 6' material on it now. With about 6-8 inches available on each end of the drip rail and tube. So a 17" should fit.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rv-awning-fabric-17

I was expecting a higher price than that. I'm leaning heavily towards a blue awning. The supplier states to let them know what brand I have, to get it with the right size cord in it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Patio-Awn...-/251432088683
Awning Replacement Fabric 17' Ocean Blue Fade

So are the materials above a viable option?
FullTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The 17 foot awning material you link to is actually 16'2" long, so it's about 4" shorter than what you already have. If your hardware is 18' from the roller endcap to the roller endcap, you need a fabric canopy that is 17'6". I think the one you will need is described as an 18' awning replacement. Here is one that's from the same company on EBay (I think) but is the wrong color. They may have replacements in blue, I didn't look for color, rather for size. http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Walnut-Br...item1c27ac859a

I'd guess that if you write them, they will be better able to give you the exact size of the fabric. That way you'll know for sure. But I'd think the 17' awning is way too short for what you're trying to do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
FullTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The 17 foot awning material you link to is actually 16'2" long, so it's about 4" shorter than what you already have. If your hardware is 18' from the roller endcap to the roller endcap, you need a fabric canopy that is 17'6". I think the one you will need is described as an 18' awning replacement. Here is one that's from the same company on EBay (I think) but is the wrong color. They may have replacements in blue, I didn't look for color, rather for size. http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Walnut-Br...item1c27ac859a

I'd guess that if you write them, they will be better able to give you the exact size of the fabric. That way you'll know for sure. But I'd think the 17' awning is way too short for what you're trying to do.
Ahhh thanks, that's what I was wondering, if the true size was shorter than described. I'll take more definitive measurements this evening. I know the suppliers want the center to center of the diagonal legs, so I assume they can make sure the right size is sent, as well as awning brand. I figure if I get 3-5 years out of one of these, I would be happy. I highly suspect mine was rolled up wet, and it degraded it early. It has quite a bit of mildew in it as well.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
FullTimer

Sorry was in a hurry and put it up without measuring. I plan on pulling it out tomorrow and will measure then.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

If it was dry or wet when rolled up, it does not make a difference it will get wet thru out everytime it rains. When I have time on a dry day I roll mine out to dry. Here it rains year round and it is alaways wet when opened.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
B&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
If it was dry or wet when rolled up, it does not make a difference it will get wet thru out everytime it rains.

yep sure does
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
FullTimer

Cool thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware the vinyl coating would let water seep in.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
jsmith948

I think the rainwater gets in at the ends. There was a post a while back about using empty plastic jugs slid over the ends of the awning.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote