Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
DK Henry

Yellowstone

Heading to Yellowstone this summer. Looking for tips, must sees, campgrounds ect. Any and all information welcome!!
DK Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Murphsmom

Don't miss the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody. We like to plan two days there, as it is almost impossible to do it justice in one day. Cody is an interesting town...touristy, but fun.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
Laredo291OH

Hi DK,

I will be watching this thread, we are heading there from Ohio in July. When are you planning on being there?
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Western Traveler

Madison campground at the hwy 287 junction is big with lots of amenities and centrally located inside the park. Good fishing all around there. It gets crowded but is able to handle larger rigs. We like Norris Campground which is smaller and more nessled on a hillside.
The town of West Yellowstone Mt is an easy drive into the park and has everything one might need. From Madison campground south is Old Faithful and the Lodge, east is the Fishing Bridge and Yellowstone Lake. Painted Pots and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone are worth seeing And as mentioned already if you can go east to Cody Wyo and see the Buffalo Bill Historic Center!!!
It really is a must see. We have traveled to Cody just for that in the past. One never travels fast through the Park as buffalo roadblocks and such slow traffic often times to a virtual standstill and the speed zones are aggressively enforced.
The North entrance has the Stone Arch so often photographed.

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
antiqfreq

We entered from the west entrance of Yellowstone and stayed at Grizzly RV Park.
We liked it very much there. Closet park to the entrance on that side.

After leaving the park we headed east and stayed at a little private owned campground in Cody, WY. We went to the museum there and also a few other side attractions in town.

Had a great time at both places and I hope you do too!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
jsmith948

X-2 on Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. Nice, clean park with wide sites and a great staff. Also, if you go to the north entrance, you will get to see a herd of elk that hang out in the town of Mammoth, sleeping on peoples' lawns and sidewalks - great park! You'll need several days to see it all

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
koko

Don't forget Grand Teton National Park and the town of Jackson. Jackson is very touristy but very western. The entrance through Grand Teton into Yellowstone is our favorite. Speed limits are very slow through Yellowstone. It takes days to see it all. Also really like Cody. Cody has a very nice KOA. It takes a couple of days to go through the whole Buffalo Bill Center. If you can't go to Cody and Jackson, my personal choice would be Jackson.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
rschad

West of west Yellowstone are a couple other nice campgrounds, the koa is very nice and a couple kilometres further west is a very nice looking campground, sorry don't recall the name.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Western Traveler

If staying outside the Park for an extended time the closest option is the town of West Yellowstone (it is the closest entrance to the park loop). A Senior Pass is a beautiful thing because there is a Pass/employee line. The paid lines back up because of the questions being asked of the rangers. Cody is the entrance from the east or from Red Lodge over the Bear Tooth Range a seasonal road but beautiful ride. From the South you enter through Jackson Hole and the Tetons. The north entrance is through Gallatin and the Stone Arch and Mammoth as mentioned earlier.
Mid June the Park is still reasonably uncrowded and the best opportunity to see the buffalo and elk calves nursing. September is the time to see and hear the bull elk gathering up their harems and bugling. It is a family paradise because of all the wildlife visible from the road. Most of the campgrounds inside the Park don't take reservations so mid-morning is the time to enter if planning to stay inside. Last summer we were surprised at the availability of campsites available the last week of August.
There are many very nice trails and wooden walkways throughout the Park but if venturing away from the Very Developed areas we always carry bear spray! A couple of years ago a tourist was attacked and killed on one of the trails while we were there. It happens so be "bear aware" just sayin.

King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Me and My Bride
Old 01-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
EricLynnAllison

Don't forget the Flagg Ranch campground on the south entrance between the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
Western Traveler

Last summer we met a full timer couple from Texas that was working at the village store. Much of the park is staffed by a concessionaire. College students from Europe and the U.S. Come to work the summers as well. As I recall this couple worked 4 days and had four off so they were spending the summer exploring on their off time and were supplied a site for their rig. I think I have that correct.

King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Me and My Bride
Old 01-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
DK Henry

Thanks to all for the in put. Here is some more information for you guys to work with. First Laredo we are hoping to go in July. Have a college age daughter we are trying to work into the trip. To those who posted destinations we are planning to be in the general area for about two weeks. In addition to Yellowstone we are planning on seeing the Grand Tetons, Cody, Jackson Hole, Mammoth is now on the list. Please keep the tips in suggestions coming we are getting excited. Will post a tentative route soon so you guys can give some tips on things to see on the way.
DK Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
JeffS

When in Cody do not overlook Trail Town - you can visit "Liver Eat'n Johnson's" grave.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
curlyfungirl

The West Yellowstone is expensive and not kept up very well. The bathrooms are very old and outdated. The sites are not maintained well.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #15
Western Traveler

^^ I personally was referring to the Town of West Yellowstone but if there is a campground by that name I appreciate the heads up and will avoid it.

King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Me and My Bride
Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
koko

Flagg Ranch is great!

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
howard

Yellowstone

DK,
Cody is probably a good place for a couple of nights. We stayed at the Ponderosa RV park in "downtown" Cody last August where you can walk to lots of places. The Rodeo bus stops there too and together with the Cody museum is a must do! Make your reservations early, especially if you are thinking July 4th weekend.
Howard
2006 Woodland Park
Had
2008 Montana
2005 Outback
2000 Lance + others
howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #18
shiggs68

Don't want to hi-jack this thread as I am also planning a trip from Ohio this summer. Coming from the east, I was wondering if I could pull my 40 ft. 5th wheel thru the park such that we could stay on the west side. Going thru seems like the shortest distance but was wondering about the roads?
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #19
Western Traveler

I don't think there are length restrictions for 5th wheels and motorhomes but I think 99% of the park is one lane in each direction. The road is pretty nice throughout the park but there can be road construction going on with stoppages and flag vehicles leading caravans of vehicles over one open lane at times. The National Park Service maintains a nice website for Yellowstone and I have had luck calling for information in the past. Interstate 90 runs East/west north of the park and you can pick up the Hwy leading to West Yellowstone from it. The north entrance at Gardiner is also accessible from it. Lots of folks come in from that direction and there is some nice camping in the Gallatin it is just outside the Park.

King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Me and My Bride
Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 AM   #20
Western Traveler

BTW if you want a darn good read as you plan your trip to Yellowstone try this!

Last Stand-George Bird Grinnell

It is about the buffalo, their near extinction and of Yellowstone being established as a National Park.
It gave me a much higher level of appreciation of both and the areas you will surely travel through.
End of hijack...

King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Me and My Bride