Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Mosnowman

Do You Need a Second Air Conditioner?

I just purchased a 2014 Cougar 327RES that is pre-wired in the bedroom for a second air conditioner.

Do you really need a second air conditioner? I would think one would be sufficient or am I missing something? I traded in a Keystone Bullet that I had cool as a freezer when camping....is a fifth wheel that different?

2018 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab
B & W Companion Hitch
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most people find that a 15,000 BTU A/C is sufficient for many fifth wheels up to about 30'. After that, when the temps get above 90 or so, it becomes a problem to keep the RV cool. Most would rather install a second A/C instead of trying to fight the heat. There are several owners of the same fifth wheel that you have, I'm sure they will give you first hand accountings of what they have experienced.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
BlindGuyNAR

Really depends on the weather where you go camping. Any 90+ days and you'll want it.

In the south yes you want it, but you can get by without it as well. If you have kids that run in/out it can really over work one unit as well.

As far as 5er vs. TT the 5er is normally taller and has more interior space to heat/cool. Not always the case, but true more often than not.

2013 Mountaineer 346 LBQ

If no one from the future comes to stop you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
outwest

I agree with others. Depends on temps you'll be using unit in. Our Vantage (35' bumper pull) only has one 1500 AC and it's not enough in 90+ (esp. in upper 90s to 100s). In cooler temps or in places where we are parked under shade tree, it's okay.

If it's a dry heat (New Mexico, Arizona, etc), a portable swamp cooler should do the trick instead of 2nd AC, which would be cheaper but you'll have to add water throughout the day, etc.

I'm considering changing our unit over to 50amp service and adding 2nd AC in bedroom.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I will never have an RV without a second a/c.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
mikell

Location , loaction, location. Find trees and stay north
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
WaltBennett

Our Monty is also wired for a second, but we've yet to need it. Have been through some 90 degree and 80 percent humidity days in it without any problems, but much more would probably not be nice. Although it's wired for 50 amp, I've found the only way that would be needed is with a second AC which makes finding spots easier.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
crash

I agree it depends on your camping locations in the 90+ heat you will be glad to have the second a/c.in our Raptor we are thinking about putting in a third a/c in the garage area to help keep all of that real estate KOOL
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
byrdr1

As a 327RES owner and living in NC and camping in NC, SC, GA, VA, TN.
we bought the 2nd 13.5K AC with the camper or added it as we bought it however how you want to say that.
We have had it 3 years now.
I have used it every time we have camped in the summer. its a direct blow model not ducted. I have run it during the days and turned it off at night. It keeps the main 15K unit from working so hard to keep the camper at a livable level during our 90-100 plus degree days with 100% humidity days. At night the main unit is capable of keeping us cool over night but as the sun rises I turn on the extra AC. MY camper has maintained a good around 70 degree temp no matter what the outside temp was.
If you live south of the Mason-Dixon line it would help you out camping during the summer..if you can afford it go for it. One thing I would add if I had to do it over would be the heater coil/core.. Missed that this past week camping in the frigid temps we had at the beach. I cant add it to my Penguin low profile 13.5K.
JMHO
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
fla-gypsy

Totally depends on location, type of camping. I have a single 13.5K on my 32' travel trailer and I am fine camping in the summer in Florida but I always camp in the shade. In full sun it would not be enough.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
SAABDOCTOR

i would go a second unit. I am glad we did and we camp in the northeast. still hot is hot
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Bob Landry

If after determining that your AC is properly charged, all of the air leaks at the plenum have been taped, and you have good good ductwork and good air flow throughout the system and you can not get a 20 degree split across the coil, then you are a candidate for a second unit. That is the difference between the discharge and the return air measured at the unit.
Forget outside temperature. Other than transmitting heat through your poorly insulated trailer, it has no bearing on the efficiency your AC is operating at. Don't let a "tech" tell you that he has to tap into the system to measure pressure, etc.. It isn't so. If he does, then he has to fix the hole and recharge(More $$$) Proper charge can be verified by measuring the current draw of the compressor and applying the correct variation for the outside temperature. Again, the outside temp is not affecting how well the unit cools, it only changes how much current the compressor draws. The 20 degree split still determines if your unit is large enough to cool the space. If your tech's eyes glaze over when you tell him this, find another tech.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
airforceret

I wouldn't mind having a second A/C, but I don't want to give up the fresh air we can get through the roof vent when A/C isn't necessary or available when dry camping.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #14
Bob Landry

Replace your existing roof vents with Fantastic Fans. Open the windows and turn them on, you'll get more breeze through the windows than you would ever get by just opening the vent. It acts like a ceiling fan and it pulls a LOT of air. Then you have the best of all worlds.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
jje1960

Second Aircon

Can only relate our experience. 325 SRX, Myrtle Beach, July - August... Even with upper main cabin windows tinted, main 15K and portable in garage bay, simply no way keeping up. However, last year we had added the 2nd aircon, 13.5K unit in the bedroom..... No problem. So answer to OP question, if you are planning on camping in high temp areas, then no brainer, add that second aircon. JS
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
webslave

We camp when and where we want to without regard to what the prevailing temperature (heat) may be. Had a marvelous time in El Centro, CA one year. 118 degrees cooling down nicely to ~102 at 3:00 am (according to my recording thermometer). Two A/C units in my 318SAB and will have two A/C units if we trade up or down in the future.

5ers have an upper bedroom area (most do, there are other designs, but, they all have "something" upstairs) and heat rises. While the main unit can keep the living area mostly livable, in high heat times it is virtually impossible to keep the upper level as cool as you'd want to sleep comfortably. Now, you can have a roof vent with a fan and blow the heat out, hoping to suck the cool air upstairs, but, the actual result is less than ideal when the heat and humidity are high.

If you habitually go north during the summer and avoid the desert southwest (hot) or the gulf coast (not as hot, but, humid), then you can probably get by without the second A/C unit. If you, like us, go where you want, when you want, the 2nd A/C unit is a welcome addition.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
bridge4d

I bought a 327 in June. Spent several weeks in it around the Houston/Galveston area and some other areas along the gulf coast and NC. It took me about 1 day to realize I should have worked a 2nd A/C unit into the deal. I'll be throwing on a 13.5 before spring.

2018 Montana 3731FL Legacy
2017 F350 Dually
bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #18
airforceret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Replace your existing roof vents with Fantastic Fans. Open the windows and turn them on, you'll get more breeze through the windows than you would ever get by just opening the vent. It acts like a ceiling fan and it pulls a LOT of air. Then you have the best of all worlds.
I like having the fan in the living room vent so I don't have to listen to it, and having the vent open in the bedroom acts like A/C and is better than the windows based on location. The windows are in the slide and 1) either creates too much wind in our face coming in the windows 2) a bit cold as the face is only part not under the covers 3) doesn't do anything at all because the slide is not out therefore the windows open into the inside of the camper! LOL
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
tdawg

In our 3535 Alpine run front air during day and rear only at night would not go without it
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
Mosnowman

Thanks for all the replies!

After reading these posts I think I will have one installed before spring. We aren't retired yet so we do a lot of weekends in hot and humid Missouri at Lake Pomme de Terre. We camp at the State Park so we have partial shade.

Thanks again...this site rocks for Newbies!

2018 Ford F350 Diesel Lariat Crew Cab
B & W Companion Hitch
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote