Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Quad

5th wheel Shocks

Does any one know of a shock kit, and length of shocks needed for a shock install on a 5th wheel? I'm trying to decide on installing a kit and buying my own shocks and installing my own kit. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Each model trailer and mounting kit will require a different length shock. Check with the manufacturer of the kit. At one time Monroe was the only kit I was aware of.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Monroe builds a kit to do what you're asking.

http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/produ...-retrofit-kits

I installed this type kit on our 1972 Jayco (back when I was a LOT younger) and it was a simple, bolt on assembly. Pretty easy to do once I got over the fear of laying on the ground under a "jacked up and blocked" RV with no wheels on it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Quad

Do you think it's a worth while upgrade to do? I'm still tossing around if I should even do it or not too.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I had an Airstream with torsion bar suspension and when we bought the Jayco, it seemed that everything in the cupboards was moving around a lot more than it did in the Airstream. Back then, the kit for a tandem axle trailer and 4 shocks was about $150, so I installed the kit and found a signifciantly smoother ride. At least the contents of the cupboards stayed closed and contents unbroken. On our HR, shocks were standard from the factory and we never had an issue with anything broken or knocked over.

With the Springdale and now the Cougar, we have noted an increased level of messy cupboards after towing, but nothing broken (so far !!!) I do plan to install shocks on the Cougar to try to cut down on some of the rear kitchen issues, but it's been a hectic few months that we've had it so it won't be until next year that I get time to do the job.

If you aren't having any issues with damaged contents of cupboards, then probably you won't notice much improvement with the shocks. I never have noted any difference in towability or in "ride comfort" inside the tow vehicle by installing shocks on a trailer.

If you haven't done so, my first suggestion would be to spin balance your trailer tires and see what improvement that makes in any problems you might have, if that isn't enough and you want a smoother ride, then shocks is one answer to the problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote