Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
powerlineman

Black tank and grey tank valve issues

I have searched the forums and found similar posts and have a sneaking suspension I am going to have to replace/repair the seals but figured I would post to see if anyone could maybe point me in another direction...

The main grey valve and black valve on my 2008 Montana 3400 rl are extremely stiff to pull out and push in (like bruise the palm of my hand while pushing in stiff) and I know for sure that the black does not completely seal. When pushing the black valve in towards the end it all of a sudden slides in extremely easy (almost a jump) and then after I let go pushes back out a little over an inch. Then I can slowly shock push (quick short pushes) about 10 pushes total to get the handle all the way in and have it hold there. I have ran my tank flush for an hour and also pored valve lube into the tanks and it has not gotten any better.

If I do have to replace my valves where is the best place to get new ones?

Thanks for all the help guys and gals.
powerlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
outwest

have you tried filling and dumping the black tank a few times? I've had toilet paper stuck in my valve before and had similar symptoms.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

powerlineman,

It sounds like the bowden cable that is attached to your valve needs to be lubricated or possibly replaced. I wouldn't think the valve is faulty if it is "pushing the handle back out" Sounds more like the cable housing is stretching when you push hard and when you turn loose, it returns to its normal length causing the inner cable attached to the handle to slide out to compensate.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
hankaye

powerlineman, Howdy;

Probably better off just swapping the seals out, better now instead of
when it's really cold outside.
You can usually find the seals at your local RV repair shop or order them
here if it's a non local drive to the RV shop. Scroll down near the bottom to find the seals.
http://www.valterra.com/RV/rv-main.htm

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
powerlineman

Thanks for help guys. I ended up and replacing both the valves on the grey and black tank. I think it was just the cables that were bad but since I was that far into the job (dropping the bottom and what not) I just did the entire job. I actually used two different brand valves (the closest RV place only had one and the next closest one had another brand) and both work great now. Now onto building a skirt under it to get ready for the winter.

For future readers on this problem. If you have all the parts and are somewhat handy you can have the entire job started and finished in about 4 hours. Both valves were 3" that I replaced (the black and main grey tank). The second grey tank (kitchen sink valve) is a 1.5" valve.
powerlineman is offline   Reply With Quote