Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
turbopilot51

Watch those slides!

Our previous tt had only two slides and I never gave much thought opening and closing them. Our Alpine has four slides and there is much more to keep an eye on. I have had cabinet doors pop open during travel and get caught on the kitchen slide. A cabinet pull handle and slide fascia were among the damaged items. Also the rear fireplace access door was a victim of the living room slide. Needless to say I give everything a good once over before moving the slides in or out.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
michol02

The park water hookup post became a victim of one of my slides!! When I heard the gushing water, I knew immediately what a dummy I was!

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
byrdr1

I feel your pain! kitchen slide, left the door open under the sink. it will close but!!!
The TV slide out tray must be locked during travel if not.....
See we have all done it< well those that will admit it.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
I feel your pain! kitchen slide, left the door open under the sink. it will close but!!!
The TV slide out tray must be locked during travel if not.....
See we have all done it< well those that will admit it.
randy
There are those who have done it and those who will.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We've been lucky so far on the Cougar, but I'm suspecting it's "only a matter of time" before I join the ranks of the "busted door club" <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
nano

I haven't broken anything (yet), but after getting everything jacked up and chocked, I've had to hook everything back up to readjust the camper so that the slide wouldn't hit a tree when coming out. (Hopefully that was the first and last time.)
Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Chipsahoy

Red face

I learned if you dont tie down the recliners they can shift during travel and the handle catches the side facia!! Also, don't forget to turn the ceiling fan off before putting the slides back in!!
Chipsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

On every cabinet that is in the potential path of a slide room..

SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
There are those who have done it and those who will.
X1

It's all part of the learning curve. Hopefully damage is minimal and easily repairable, but sooner or later it happens to everyone. Often it's just dumb luck like a cabinet door coming open.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
suza

Not a slide issue, but . . . . .

I am responsible to securing the interior of the RV before hitching up. One time, DH went in to use the bathroom before leaving and didn't hook the strap that holds the sliding pocket door open. Oops! It flew off the track and put a hole in the bedroom wall (small enough to patch). Fortunately, the door was not damaged and it was easily re-hung. Now I check everything again, just before pulling out. And I put our bed pillows on the floor in the doorway, just in case the sliding door catch doesn't hold
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Murphsmom

Another interesting oops

How about the smoke detector that is installed where it can come loose, fall down on top of the slide and then go crunch when the slide is opened? Ask me how I know about that one. You can't see if it is off until the slide goes out.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
SkiSmuggs

Or the ceiling speaker covers that fall off on top of the slide, jam under the scraper seal and let rain water in, soaking our bed while we were out.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
Jim Dow

Ceiling Fan -- Montana High Country

I just destroyed my ceiling fan while closing the kitchen slide this morning.

Ouch!!!
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
rclark

Been there done that. Didn't check the bathroom door on our 2005 Laredo BH and sure enough heard loud noise and the slide hit the door, pushed it and wall about 6 inches in. Was able to repair myself, but it was frustrating to say the least.

Backed the ladder on our 2013 Alpine into the garage gable. Wouldn't you know my DW was not there to guide me like she always has been. Destroyed ladder and punched a 6 inch hole in the rear cap where the ladder support is. I thought this won't won't be to expensive. LOL $6,000 dollars later I am wrong again. $ 500 deductible, but still is ridiculous and sure reminds me to pay more attention.

2007 Chevy 3500 Dually Duramax Allison
2013 Keystone Alpine 3555rl, Onan 5500, Directv Dish
2004 Everest 364Q
2005 Larado Bunk House TT
2004 Komfort TT
1973 Kenskill TT
rclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
SailorPam

This is specifically why I'm here this morning! I put an extra little pillow in my dish cabinet to hold things in place. While we were travelling the cabinet door popped open, first time ever. I couldn't see that side of the cabinet from where I was standing to press the switch and the kitchen slide caught the door and broke it. We can probably fix it, but I'd rather replace it.
Has anyone had any experience with getting replacement cabinet doors from Keystone? Ours is a 2004 Sprinter 327FWRLS. We could use a sheet of paneling as well as this isn't the first slide casualty we've had...
Unfortunately this incident evened the score. DH had one more scar than I did until this one. sigh...
SailorPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone will not sell directly to the customer. You need to go to your dealer (or to another dealership) with the VIN and exactly what cabinet door you want. Make sure you measure the cabinet door and a picture will also help if it's another dealership. They can also get you the sheet of luan. Expect to pay "dearly" for shipping if it's shipped from Keystone. However, most dealers can have the items placed in the next RV delivered from the factory to their lot with no shipping charges. To do that, you'll need to wait an "indefinite" time, but it may save you a significant amount on shipping charges.

You can also go to: http://www.trekwood.com/

They have a large selection of Keystone replacement parts available and a fairly good "drill down menu" to get to what you are looking for. However, you'll pay dearly for shipping.

The dealer is your best bet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
SailorPam

Thank you John. That's helpful, and useful, information.
SailorPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
Yosemitebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
Not a slide issue, but . . . . .

I am responsible to securing the interior of the RV before hitching up. One time, DH went in to use the bathroom before leaving and didn't hook the strap that holds the sliding pocket door open. Oops! It flew off the track and put a hole in the bedroom wall (small enough to patch). Fortunately, the door was not damaged and it was easily re-hung. Now I check everything again, just before pulling out. And I put our bed pillows on the floor in the doorway, just in case the sliding door catch doesn't hold
Not trying to defend your DH, but, those snap ties are known for coming off in transit. I changed mine to a hook.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
BobnLee

slides

Been there done it. I posted last winter on the way to Florida. Door caught on slide and broke right in half. Weird thing I found the exact same hinges at Walmart. Glued up the door and went to bed. cant tell where it broke without really close examination. Bought a package of electrical zip ties (100) Now everything gets tied. Handy things they are and when you get where your going the pocket knife makes it real easy.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Bobnlee,

Have you thought about the Velcro strips? They come in various sizes and would work perfectly to do what you're doing with zip ties and best thing is, the Velcro is reusable

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS