Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
MConnelly

EDMP Roof Coating

The EDPM roof on our '09 403 was very stained with mold stains that I just could not wash out. I could clean it and it looked ok but it just wasn't as nice as I would like.
So I began to look for a coating that was basically cosmetic as the roof was in very good condition other than cosmetics. I experimented with Heng's roof coating. IMHO absolute junk. Very lumpy and even after screening it rolled out a very rough , textured, finish.

I then found a product made by Henry's roof coatings. It is Henry's 280CD Elastometer Reflective Roof coating. It is made for EDMP roofs. I had to order the product as it was not available for Home Depot or Lowes as other Henry's products are. Found it on Amazon .com

5 gal bucket, $178.00. This was more than enough to roll two heavy coats on our 40" 5er (could have covered the slide roofs as well)

After throughly cleaning with OXY Clean and a stiff scrub brush and letting the roof dry for a few days, I lightly scuffed the EDPM with a rough scrub pad. I then applied the Henry's . It rolled out easily and cleaned up with warm water. Two coats left me with a bright white beautifully clean roof.

IMHO, this is not a coating suitable to restore life to a worn out roof. I looks to be perfect as a maintenance upgrade for badly stained EDPM roofing.

I also tried Liquid EDMP on the slide roofs. This is much more expensive and harder to use. My slide roofs came out looking great but the effort to get a uniform amount on them was much more difficult than the Henry's product.
The liquid EDPM would be much more suited for roofs that are on their last leg and replacement is too costly.

The Henry's dries to a satin finish with a slight texture from the roller.
The Liquid EDPM dries to a smooth gloss finish.
The liquid EDPM cost me $100.00 for enough to do three slides.

Had I used the Henry's first I would have not done the slides with the Liquid EDPM. The Henry's would have been just fine for my purposes.

Once clean and prepped the roof took only a few hours per coat to apply. This being the case re coating a few years from now is not a daunting task as all.

Hope this helps some of you.
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

MConnelly, Great post. Henry makes excellent products. My experience with roof coatings is limited to Kool Seal products. Among others they make a two step coating for EPDM roofs. The PRIMER has a very pale blue tint so you can easily tell what has been coverd while applying it and then the very white TOP COAT. When done it looks like a brand new roof but does not mold and stain as easily as the EPDM. I think even Wall-Mart carries it in some stores..... Just another option, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
MConnelly

henry's coatings

I read about that alliterative coating. It was my understanding the Henry's that required a primer coat was for very worn EDPM roofs. I read a few good reviews on the Primered Coating as well. NIce to see someone is making a quality, reasonably priced product for Us RVers.
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote