Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
tdawg

electric surges

Has anyone had a voltage spike go way high and then low. I am using a surge protector and checked voltage at electric pedestal so I am sure it is after the surge protector will a converter cause this. It has taken out microwave and clock radio.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
westom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Has anyone had a voltage spike go way high and then low. I am using a surge protector and checked voltage at electric pedestal so I am sure it is after the surge protector
Numbers are always required to get useful answers. Specifically, what is each number for high and low?

Well, 120 volt surge protectors typically ignore and pass through any voltage below 330 volts. That number should be on the protector's box. Completely different devices (also called protectors) do something completely different. Again. A useful answer requires facts with numbers. Specifically, what of so many completely different devices (all called protectors) are you using? Did you see numbers high enough to get the attention of that surge protector? IOW read its manufacturer specifications. Or post them here so that others can say what it actually does.

Converters take significantly varying AC voltages. Then convert them to rock solid and stable output voltages. Converters do not create voltage variations on a pedestal. Protection already inside appliances makes most voltage variations irrelevant. To say more requires specific numbers.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
tdawg

This is happening on a friends 5th wheel with 50 amp I don't have numbers just that they have been to 2 different campgrounds and has happened both times. I knew this was a shot in the dark . I was wandering if a surge protector could cause high voltage if anyone of you have heard of such a thing
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
Charli

This summer we must have had an electrical surge. We had used a 30 Amp extension cord to connect between the power cord coming out of our trailer and the power pedestal. When we were packing up the coupling between the cord coming out of the trailer and the cord coming out of the pedestal were fused together. Basically the plastic on the end of the extension cord had melted and I had to pry it apart with a screw driver. The positive prong and corresponding receptacle were black from the surge. It appears that the damage to my extension cord is cosmetic and it will still function, at least I hope so. Guess I will find out next year.
I'm not an electrician so I am assuming it was a power surge. The connection was suspended above the ground and there was no rain while we were there so it couldn't have been a short caused by moisture. We also have a Progressive Industries surge protector so no damage was done to the trailer although no error message was registered so not sure what exactly happened but glad I put the Surge Protector on this spring.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
wtxdxer

Since it's happened at two different campgrounds my guess would be a wiring problem in the RV that's putting 230v from the 50 amp service onto one of the 120v legs in the trailer.

Alan
Old 09-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
bobbecky

If your friend was using a 30 amp cord to serve a 50 amp trailer, it is very possible that there was too much electric load that caused the connection to overheat. With a 30 amp connection, you don't get much more power to run much else besides one A/C and keep the batteries charged. We have a 50 amp 5th wheel and when only connected to a 30 amp pedestal, we set the fridge and the water heater to gas mode and don't use the microwave and only use one of the A/C's. With a 30 amp connection, there is only one wire capable of carrying 30 amps. With a 50 amp connection, there are two wires capable of carrying 50 amps each, for a total of 100 amps, so you have less than a third of the power available with a 30 amp connection than you do with a 50 amp connection. A "surge" would not have caused the burnt connection you described.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
LittleJoe

Your burnt connections are caused by a loose or high resistance connection while most likely running at max amperage draw. If the connections are discoloured by heat they are not suitable for further use.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
pearlygate

electric surges

This raises a question in conjunction with the electrical issue --- I have a 30 amp surge protector I used for a 30 amp 5er and have moved to a 50 amp (Montana 2955). Will the 30 amp protector work for the 50 amp connection if I am plugged into a 50 amp post (or 30 amp if 50 not available)?
pearlygate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlygate View Post
This raises a question in conjunction with the electrical issue --- I have a 30 amp surge protector I used for a 30 amp 5er and have moved to a 50 amp (Montana 2955). Will the 30 amp protector work for the 50 amp connection if I am plugged into a 50 amp post (or 30 amp if 50 not available)?
Pearlygate -

1) No!

2) Don't do it! Wiring is different.

3) If you do, might see the Pearly Gates.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
abneynormal

i love electrical

well on my 3912 the folks at keystone didn't strip the wire back enough on the shore line where it plugs into the rv. it would let the power fade in and out. I fixed the problem. as for a surge protector what kind? I researched and liked the progressive industries "surge protector" with high/low voltage shut off and shut off for broken ground and wrong power frequency. it was under 350.00. and has remote display. if it is that campco thing well you get what you pay for. also note a broken ground can result in your 120 volt stuff getting 240 volts. here is where I got the protector http://www.lawrencerv.com/products.asp?cat=13
Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
abneynormal

note to pearlygate

to explain rv power think of it this way. a 50 amp service is 50 amp 240 volt or 50 x2= 100 amps total power. a 30 amp service is 30 amp 120 volt or 30x1= 30 amps total power. all 240 volt power is is two 120 volt power legs put together. I hope this helps
Old 10-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
bobbecky

Before you burn up anything else, you need to check for a loose neutral connection somewhere from the plug on in to the trailer. What it sounds like you are seeing is an open or loose neutral which can indeed cause very high voltage on one or the other hot wire. This is truly not a safe condition and can cause damage up burning your rig. If you are not comfortable around electricity, I urge you to have this checked by a competent electrician. This can also occur anywhere in the park electrical system all the way back the the transformer supplying the park, but then many other people would be seeing this condition.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote