Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
alexsbuddy

Brake Controller Question

I have a 2005 F150 XLT with factory installed tow package and am wondering if I will need a brake controller in order to pull a 2001 Sprinter 274RLS travel trailer with electronic brakes or if I can "plug and go"? The tow package on my truck includes a 7-pin connector. Any assistance would be appreciated.
alexsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
robo

Do u have anything on your dash that has a slide control on it and says brakes should be in center section near heater ect
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The braking system on most TT's comes with electronic brakes as standard equipment as do many of the trucks have the standard 7-pin connector. What helps the TT brakes work efficiently and effectively is a brake controller which basically controls/regulates the amount of voltage applied to the electronic brakes.
In order for this to happen, you need some type of brake controller. Just because you have "electronic brakes" that doesn't preclude the need for a controller.
The 7 pin connector simply co-ordinates and matches the various systems on your truck with the TT - including the braking system.
Unless your truck has a built-in controller, you will need to purchase and install a separate unit. Prodigy controllers have a good reputation and are the choice of many RVers.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
BulletOwner1

If you don't have an in-dash brake controller (I don't know when Ford came out with that) you do have is a brake controller ready wiring harness. By that I mean under your dash board is a plugin in the wiring harness. If you bought the pickup new there was included an adapter plug with wire pigtails attached. If you don't have that your Ford dealer can set you up with it I'm sure. What you do is buy a brake controller, mount it, and wire it up to the pigtails on the adapter then plug it into the plug under the dashboard. No burrowing into the trucks wiring harness to hook up the controller.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Randy_K

does your truck have one of these ?

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
chuck&gail

Yes you need a brake controller. I recommend a Prodigy. You should also order the pigtail that goes with your truck for a simple install.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
alexsbuddy

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the help. My truck came with the harness and relay in a sealed bag and I have ordered a brake controller....should arrive in a day or two. I downloaded the install instructions and have reviewed the instructions included with the harness. Seems fairly straight forward. I really appreciate all the help and we hope to take our first trip in August. Really looking forward to it.
alexsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsbuddy View Post
Thanks for all of the help. My truck came with the harness and relay in a sealed bag and I have ordered a brake controller....should arrive in a day or two. I downloaded the install instructions and have reviewed the instructions included with the harness. Seems fairly straight forward. I really appreciate all the help and we hope to take our first trip in August. Really looking forward to it.
If you ordered the Ford OEM brake controller, on the 2009 and up, the dealer must reflash the computer to activate the brake controller. I'm not sure with yours, but you might want to check with your Ford dealer to see. It would not be a happy day if you get to the RV dealership, do the PDI, get everything hooked up and find the brake controller isn't working

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote