Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
concours

Which Stabilizer JT'S or Ultra-Fab Eliminator

I need to purchase stabilizer bars and undecided between JT's and Ultra-Fab Eliminator I think it's just down to price and ease of install, I need some feedback from those who have purchased and used them, we live in BC Canada so we know they will be expensive. (BC stands for Bring Cash)
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
labs4life

I looked at those as well as steady fast....and I went with steady fast. Paul is the owner and was quick to responds to the couple questions I had. I also was missing 3 lock nuts (that were not necessary immediately) they sent them right out. No questions asked.

I have a 35'8" TT and the shaking was worse than our old 28' TT. We have been very pleased with the system and it is easy to setup and breakdown!! Look up steady fast on you tube and you will see Paul explain it. He is the owner.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
TandE

I made my own cause I was bored and wanted a project. I was surprised at how well it works even with only two bars, one in front and one in rear.

But if I were to buy one it probably would have been steady fast.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
I need to purchase stabilizer bars and undecided between JT's and Ultra-Fab Eliminator I think it's just down to price and ease of install, I need some feedback from those who have purchased and used them, we live in BC Canada so we know they will be expensive. (BC stands for Bring Cash)
A couple of comments....

First, don't overlook SteadyFast. A lot of us have that one and are very happy with it. If you want more info, search on steadyfast or strong arm - lots of reports from lots of happy folks.

I picked the SteadyFast because of the fantastic customer service before, during, and after the sale. Can't say enough good things about how they do business.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
sphack

And don't be daunted by my steadyfast post for I couldn't choose a more involved installation. The front two went on in about an hour.
sphack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphack View Post
And don't be daunted by my steadyfast post for I couldn't choose a more involved installation. The front two went on in about an hour.
One of the things I noticed when studying the choices was that any of them could pose a unique and difficult challenge depending on where it was to be installed. I spent a lot of time on the rear SteadyFast bar installation because it involved working with and around the framing and mounts for the slideout tray on the rear of the Cougar. The two front bars were exquisitely easy.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
I made my own cause I was bored and wanted a project. I was surprised at how well it works even with only two bars, one in front and one in rear.

But if I were to buy one it probably would have been steady fast.
Can you post a picture of them? Like the OP, not keen on paying retail up here.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Can you post a picture of them? Like the OP, not keen on paying retail up here.
No problem. I pick it up from storage today for the weekend I will snap a couple either today or when I have it setup this weekend and post it.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
B&T

Photos of my cheapskate stabilizer system are posted here:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...5&postcount=19
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T View Post
Photos of my cheapskate stabilizer system are posted here:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...5&postcount=19
Mine is very similar to yours but without the use of c clamps. I may have spent $25-$30 on mine. Same electrical conduit but I bolted it to the jack foot like you but used a 4" bolt through the frame where I used chain link fencing clamps with a wing nut to tighten it up. To make it grippy I wraped skid tape around the conduit and inside the clamp to grab more.

I also put a nyloc nut on the bottom of the bolt to keep the wing nut from falling off.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
BlindGuyNAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
I went with JT, but steadyfast wouldve't been a better choice for me in retrospect.

I had to relocate my gas line as it ran under and along one of the frame rails. I could have avoided the relocation by going with steadyfast since only one frame rail is required. I'm also having issue installing back ones due to dump valve location and the support beam being forward the jacks instead of behind. Again would not have been an issue with steadyfast.

My advice is to look at install instructions for each system and plan each one by looking for interference/complication issues on your trailer. Choose after that since they'll all accomplish the same thing.
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Milehi

Stabilizers

I had considered one of these but went with the X-chocks instead. They stop all of the rocking of the trailer, even with three or 4 kids bouncing around in there. Got them On sale at camping world, 2 for $60.00 +s&h
Milehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehi View Post
I had considered one of these but went with the X-chocks instead. They stop all of the rocking of the trailer, even with three or 4 kids bouncing around in there. Got them On sale at camping world, 2 for $60.00 +s&h
In some cases, wheel chocks alone will solve most of the problem.

I consider chocks to be essential, regardless of existing motion issues. Their primary purpose is to insure that the trailer can't roll or rock based on movement of the wheels and tires. And they are the only thing that will properly and adequately prevent the trailer from rolling away on a sloped campsite.

For some rigs, the added stabilizers are still needed. There are forces at work that simply chocking the wheels can not control.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
therink

I bought and installed a set of BAL stabilizers for the landing gear and they work excellent. No movement whatever. . I ditched then tripod. They were a breeze to install and cost $89. In will be getting a set for the rear scissor jacks soon.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I bought and installed a set of BAL stabilizers for the landing gear and they work excellent. No movement whatever. . I ditched then tripod. They were a breeze to install and cost $89. In will be getting a set for the rear scissor jacks soon.
X2 on the BAL Lock-Arms
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
TandE

Ok here's a couple pictures of what I did. Hopefully they are big enough if not let me know I will redo them.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
B&T

Nice work, looks good!
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Aklak

I live in Alberta and went with the Steady Fast system on a Fuzion 405. Just installed it without any issues and the difference is night and day. The only complaint I have is that they use UPS to ship to Canada, and their (UPS) brokerage fees are outrageous! - added another $80 to the shipping cost. Other than that I would highly recommend this system. If I did it again, I would most certainly go back to Steady Fast!!
Aklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #19
concours

decission made

Thanks for all the input I ordered the Ultra Fab Eliminator thru a local company that gave me a good deal with no outrageous UPS charges to Canada. Should have them installed next weekend
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
diugo
Permanent User Ban

At $67 for two arms (with free shipping from Amazon) the BAL lock arms are certainly priced a lot better than those $300 systems. I really like that you add arms just two at a time---why get six when two may be enough for your needs?
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote