Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
nondem

Roof seam repair

The front roof seam on my 2003 Outback is leaking. What I'd like to do is clean the area with Acetone and use some 6" self adhesive repair tape to cover the whole seam. So it would need adhere to the roof and also the material that the front of the camper is made of(plastic?) Here is a pic...I don't think it's the same material as the sides(fiberglass) but I'm not really sure).
http://www.linearrow.com/personal/20...302_140427.jpg

It has what I believe is an EPDM roof but I've not confirmed it isn't a TPO.

Can someone tell me if it matters which type of roof it is for this purpose? I know how to check but if it doesn't matter I won't bother trying to get a look at the back side of the material
I would also appreciate any suggestions - including what specific brand/type of repair tape would be ideal.

Thanks!
nondem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
geo

Do not clean it with acetone! You will cause more problems than you have! Acetone is a petroleum distillate. Keep all petroleum distillates off the roof!

Visit Camping World or another RV store and get the Dicor repair tape and some self-leveling Dicor caulk.

To clean the area, use borax, water, a soft brush, and a sponge.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
SteveC7010

If the roof is white and rubbery, it is an EPDM roof, most likely manufactured by Dicor. Go to dicor.com for cleaning and repair info.

If you can not find the Dicor tape, EternaBond is the same thing and is widely available.

+1 on the cleaning. DO NOT use actone or any other solvent style products. DO NOT use any petroleum based products. Follow the instructions on the Dicor web site.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
nondem

thx - no acetone

Glad I asked...I saw one RV repair video on youtube and thought they knew what they were talking about

I'll get some Dicor or Eternabond tape and borax and have at it.
nondem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Do not clean it with acetone! You will cause more problems than you have! Acetone is a petroleum distillate. Keep all petroleum distillates off the roof!

Visit Camping World or another RV store and get the Dicor repair tape and some self-leveling Dicor caulk.

To clean the area, use borax, water, a soft brush, and a sponge.

Ron
This is the best cleaning method?
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Most effective, yes, best? Depends on whether you want to spend $4 or $44 to do the same job. Anything at an RV dealership is overpriced and an equivalent product can usually be found much cheaper at a discount or big box store. The "high priced spread" at CW won't do a better job, but it will empty your wallet to keep the weight on your roof smaller

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "high priced spread" at CW won't do a better job, but it will empty your wallet to keep the weight on your roof smaller
Nice!

Had my first CW experience last week, almost was my last. I hope all of them are not as bad as the one near me. Tried real hard for three days to spend a ton of money on slide awnings, and they just did not seem to be interested. So I called another smaller local shop, and they were cheaper even with the 38 dollar install, and will drive an hour to my house to install.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
bobbecky

This is a portion of instructions from the Eternabond site on repair of a tear in a rubber roof--

Clean the area to be repaired - the cleaner and drier the better.
(EternaBond® tapes will usually aggressively bond to non-cleaned surfaces, however, we suggest using EternaClean, or acetone applied to a rag and wiping the area to be repaired, or briskly rubbing the area with a dry towel.)

I have used this method, and it will not harm the rubber roof material if these directions are followed. Just make sure you carefully position the tape prior to setting it on the rubber surface, it will stick right away and you won't be able to remove it. Great tape!!
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
This is a portion of instructions from the Eternabond site on repair of a tear in a rubber roof--

Clean the area to be repaired - the cleaner and drier the better.
(EternaBond® tapes will usually aggressively bond to non-cleaned surfaces, however, we suggest using EternaClean, or acetone applied to a rag and wiping the area to be repaired, or briskly rubbing the area with a dry towel.)

I have used this method, and it will not harm the rubber roof material if these directions are followed. Just make sure you carefully position the tape prior to setting it on the rubber surface, it will stick right away and you won't be able to remove it. Great tape!!
I was reading another thread today that said acetone will damage the EPDM, and I should use.....doh, I cannot remember, borax or something. I am assuming I should pull off all of the old tape before? Or will this want to pull on the membrane where the tape is still adhered? If I do pull the old tape, should I try to clean off the old adhesive residue? Should I just be using tape, or should I supplement with other sealer? I saw something about self leveling caulk in another post that was talking about puncture repair. Is that applicable out at the flange like this? Sorry for all of the questions. Hate to try and fix an issue, then make it worse through ignorance!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
bobbecky

Eternabond instructions recommend using a heat gun to warm up old tape so it can be removed. I believe they say the old sticky material can stay, but go to their site to confirm this.

You say your front seam is bad. Is this where a molding strip holds the edge of the rubber roof? If so, it may be difficult to repair without removing the molding. You may need to bond some new rubber material to the existing rubber roof, then reattach the molding over the edge of the rubber to make a strong, no-leak seal. This may turn into a job you may want a shop to do, due to the adhesives needed for this kind of repair. You sure don't want to have to do this repair more than once, plus risk roof water damage under the rubber, which can get very expensive.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by patagoniadave View Post
I am assuming I should pull off all of the old tape before? Or will this want to pull on the membrane where the tape is still adhered? If I do pull the old tape, should I try to clean off the old adhesive residue?
If there is tape on the front seam of your Montana it has been repaired before and obviously incorrectly. If the right tape had been used and applied and sealed correctly it would not come off. Not knowing if the roof below the tape was cleaned properly you will have to remove it. Normally that seam is only Dicor self leveling sealant. You will have to see why it was taped. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If there is tape on the front seam of your Montana it has been repaired before and obviously incorrectly.
I thought that at first, especially looking at how sloppy it was, but then I read someones post who said that he had some there from the factory, and it was part of regular maintenance to replace it?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Eternabond instructions recommend using a heat gun to warm up old tape so it can be removed. I believe they say the old sticky material can stay, but go to their site to confirm this.

You say your front seam is bad. Is this where a molding strip holds the edge of the rubber roof? If so, it may be difficult to repair without removing the molding. You may need to bond some new rubber material to the existing rubber roof, then reattach the molding over the edge of the rubber to make a strong, no-leak seal. This may turn into a job you may want a shop to do, due to the adhesives needed for this kind of repair. You sure don't want to have to do this repair more than once, plus risk roof water damage under the rubber, which can get very expensive.
It is hard to see, they ran tape up the front of the flashing, over the connection, and then back a few inches on the roof. Seems like I need to go read on their website, thank you.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
I thought that at first, especially looking at how sloppy it was, but then I read someones post who said that he had some there from the factory, and it was part of regular maintenance to replace it?
If you are reading other posts be sure they are referring to your model. The only ones I know of using a factory taped front roof seal is a Vantage model. You must read the entire thread to be sure you are getting all the info you need about your application.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #15
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
If you are reading other posts be sure they are referring to your model. The only ones I know of using a factory taped front roof seal is a Vantage model. You must read the entire thread to be sure you are getting all the info you need about your application.
Yes, I was reading and reading and reading, and it became a blur. I know I am not supposed to post questions in two different places, but I had posted a new post, with photos of the de laminating tape, then found this thread after. If someone would look at the pictures, maybe they could give me a good idea on how to attack it?

Thanks to all
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, I was reading and reading and reading, and it became a blur. I know I am not supposed to post questions in two different places, but I had posted a new post, with photos of the de laminating tape, then found this thread after. If someone would look at the pictures, maybe they could give me a good idea on how to attack it?

Thanks to all
My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

Dave, The only photos I found were of a slideout seal. One of the worst repairs I have seen. (but not the worst) If this is not what you are talking about please supply a link to the photos of your front roof seal so we don't have to search all 85 of your posts. If that is the repair you will have to remove the tape and see why the repair was made.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #17
patagoniadave
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

Dave, The only photos I found were of a slideout seal. One of the worst repairs I have seen. (but not the worst) If this is not what you are talking about please supply a link to the photos of your front roof seal so we don't have to search all 85 of your posts. If that is the repair you will have to remove the tape and see why the repair was made.
Yes, apologies to the op.

The photos were of the slideout roof edge, I'll post again here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140204_174143.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	4960   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140204_174207.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	4961   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140204_174252.jpg
Views:	98