Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #41
curlyfungirl

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhertzy View Post
We're taking our new Outback 316RL out for our first camping trip this coming weekend. We're only going about 1 1/2 hours away. Do any of you run your frig while towing? Or is that not advised?

Also, anyone else out there who has the same model?

Thanks.

Jerry
We had our running full time while we were on our three week adventure. I had a lot of food in the double fridge and did not want to take a chance on loosing any of it.

We were lucky and did not blow up at any of our fuel stops.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #42
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
I've read everyones reply, I want too do whatever is the safest way too travel. My first question is, has anyone ever heard or seen where someones trailer caused an issue (fire) while at a fueling station??Most of my travels are within a few hours and I've always used the auto setting which it switches too gas when I'm not hooked into electric. The last 2 trips have been where I've need to fill up (diesel) and never even thought about the frig being on and running on gas, now that I think about it how remote is the chance of a fire from vapors at the filling station?? My fuel tank fill is on the drivers side and the frig is 10-15ft away and on the other side. I'm more concerned that a gas line would fail while driving down the road, then the frig starting a fire while fueling up.
If it helps, with gasoline the vapors readily ignite. With diesel it's much more difficult to get the vapors to ignite. So as long as you are filling up with diesel and nowhere near a gasoline pump I don't see that there would be an issue.
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #43
golfpro

all the professionals will tell you not to travel with the frig running. I will tell you the same thing. I fought fires for 30 years and have seen many fires due to frig's. one was at a gas station, the MH owner thought he had the frig off , he pulled in and turned a switch, and processed to gs up the MH. as it turned out he only turned off the propane and not the frig. the frig would send out a spark to ignite and the igniter is what ignited the gas fumes and blew things up. burned up a UPS truck next to it too. a very large propane filling tank sat near by but we got water on it before it blew too. it was one of the scariest fires I've ever been on and I can say since then I have traveled without the frig on. I use the reusable ice packs in the frig while traveling and refreeze them at night when camping. back in my navy days they used to tell us that gun accidnet rules were written in blood. meaning we learned from other peoples mistakes and stupidity.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #44
suza

We have found, with reusable ice packs in the freezer, the fridge will stay within safe temps for quite a while. Once, when boondocking, we lost battery power during the night and the fridge wouldn't run, it stayed below 40 degrees for 6 hrs (not opening the fridge/freezer door) until we got hooked up and on the road with tow vehicle power. Good insurance to have those cold packs in the freezer, if you have room. They also come in handy for first aid and for packing a lunch for a day trip away from the RV.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #45
bmach

Questions

With vapor recovery systems on fuel pumps and built into cars are there even enough vapors to ignite?

When refueling a car stopped behind you while you using the pump is closer than your fridge in the trailer. So is there really a danger?
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote