Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Justthegirls

Window shade fell

The 38" x 24" window shade in the bedroom area of our Outback 260FL came free from the wall last night as I was trying to pull the shade down. We took down the valance and tried to reattach the shade to the wall this morning but were unable to do so. Seems as if one of the screw holes is stripped. It looks as if I won't be able to put the screw back in the wall without some type of Molly bolt.

Our trailer is a 2012 and still under warranty so I know I could bring it back to the dealer for the repair. However, it seems like an easy fix; I'm just unsure about the wall thickness.

Will I need a Molly bolt to rehang the shade? If so, how big?

This is only our 10th night in the trailer so I have a strong feeling that the other shades are going to have the same problem at some point in the future. Other than being preemptive and removing all the shades (lol), is there a different solution?
Justthegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
michol02

Had a similar situation where screw came out of exterior wall curtain hanger. I mixed up some JB Weld, put it into a little syringe I found in the medicine cabinet, injected it into the hole, and reattached it to the wall(just pushed the screw into the glue). I had to put a piece of tape on the hanger to keep it from drooping until the glue dried. It's a good fix if you never plan on taking that screw out of the wall again.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
therink

The screw was likely over tightened at the factory. I recommend moving the screw or mounting bracket over about 1/2" and reinstalling the screws there. Do not over tighten. The interior wall panel is luan and will strip real easy if screws are overtightened. I had the same issue with a number of my lower sidecurtain brackets.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Justthegirls

Thanks, Steve. I'll give that a try. Might be a silly question given that the walls are so thin, but... Should I drill a small pilot hole first?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthegirls View Post
Thanks, Steve. I'll give that a try. Might be a silly question given that the walls are so thin, but... Should I drill a small pilot hole first?
If you think that may help, sure. I dont drill pilot hole because the screw needs as much grab as it can get. I do use a drill/driver with a long Phillips bit extension on it to get screw started, then snug it down with screwdriver. Make sure you don't use screws any longer than original to avoid piercing the exterior wall (ask me how I know).
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
rlevitt

Plastic

Mine were all like that, I just pulled out the screws and pushed in those plastic wall thingies made for putting screws into drywall for hanging pictures. That worked well for me and used the same holes.
Ron
rlevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Justthegirls

Took the TT back to storage this afternoon but will be taking her out again in two weeks. I'll be arming myself with a Phillips screwdriver and the plastic wall thingies and will give the repair a go.

Hopefully, the shade ends up back on the wall. Those hanging pillowcases were starting to look a little tacky. Thanks Ron and Steve!

Laura
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Justthegirls

Might have to bring along some glue, too, just in case.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #9
sonic2

I did the same, I just pulled out the screws and pushed in those plastic wall anchors made for putting screws into drywall. That worked well for me and used the same holes. I only replaced the one that were loose and carry spares for when the others fail.
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote