Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
Christian1228

Red Switch on Battery

We just purchased our first trailer it is a 2013 Sprinter 316 BIK. We had our walk thru last week and brought it home last night. I remember them telling me what the Red Switch on the battery was for but, now I cant remember. Is it a disconnect???If so how do you know whether it is on or off there are no marking on it...THANKS!!!
Christian1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
f6bits

That's usually the disconnect. Got a picture?

It'll pretty much shut everything off. I leave mine OFF when storing the trailer so nothing drains the battery. You'll know it's off if you can't turn anything on in your trailer.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
jaydeb

Question Disconnect

Did your Passport have a disconnect or did you put it on? If it came on it where is it? I have a 2012 2650bh, I have not seen one on it.
jaydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
davidcyndi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1228 View Post
We just purchased our first trailer it is a 2013 Sprinter 316 BIK. We had our walk thru last week and brought it home last night. I remember them telling me what the Red Switch on the battery was for but, now I cant remember. Is it a disconnect???If so how do you know whether it is on or off there are no marking on it...THANKS!!!
Congrats on the new purchase. We just purchased the 311bhs but wish we would have gotten the 316bik. I have the same turn switch on my battery and wondered the same thing. The walk around guy told us it was the disconnect, but even if you turn it off the power jack still works???? I didn't try anything else in the trailer. So for the time being we have been disconnecting the battery cables. Maybe someone can chime in and set us straight. Again congrats on the awesome trailer.

"AUTISM IS NOT A TRAGEDY. IGNORANCE IS THE TRAGEDY."

https://i.imgur.com/3IyXHzt.png
davidcyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
davidcyndi

oh also, you really have to get your head back behind there to see it but when you turn the dial you will see one part is green and turn it the other way and its red. green=on, red=off.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
crash

Our Raptor has one ,but its like a tuning key type that when you turn it off you can remove it and it just hangs there so you know its off.( I dont know if this is the same type switch that you are talking about though?)
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
davidcyndi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Our Raptor has one ,but its like a tuning key type that when you turn it off you can remove it and it just hangs there so you know its off.( I dont know if this is the same type switch that you are talking about though?)
Does the dial thing you turn look like the dial on your stove or bbq grill? If so I never tried to pull it out like you say.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
crash

No not really,its like a 1/2 key looking thing like an old skeliton key type thing
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
davidcyndi

Ok gotcha. Its just weird that I turn the dail to off but the electric jack still works. Maybe the jack gets a bypass dirct to the batt since when you turn everything off but still need to use the jack.?. Dunno. I hate to call and ask the salesman since most times he doesnt know anything but how to sell.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Bob Landry

The battery disconnect switch is either the key or knob type. if it is the knob type, if you are facing the switch, turning the switch knob to the right turns on the battery, to the left disconnects it.

The power jack is going to be wired directly to the battery and is protected by it's own circuit breaker. The breakaway switch is also wired directly so that you still have trailer brakes in the event you are towing with the battery disconnected and the trailer breaks loose.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
davidcyndi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The battery disconnect switch is either the key or knob type. if it is the knob type, if you are facing the switch, turning the switch knob to the right turns on the battery, to the left disconnects it.

The power jack is going to be wired directly to the battery and is protected by it's own circuit breaker. The breakaway switch is also wired directly so that you still have trailer brakes in the event you are towing with the battery disconnected and the trailer breaks loose.

Thank you Bob!!!
Much appreciated.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Stevereno

In our walk around, we were advised to leave our battery switch in the On position while our TT is in storage IF power is available so that the batteries stay "topped off" by trickle charge current from the batter charger. We will have power available in our permanent storage location so I am planning to leave it On as suggested.
Stevereno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
davidcyndi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevereno View Post
In our walk around, we were advised to leave our battery switch in the On position while our TT is in storage IF power is available so that the batteries stay "topped off" by trickle charge current from the batter charger. We will have power available in our permanent storage location so I am planning to leave it On as suggested.
Yep that's what I heard and that's what we do.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
chris7913

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcyndi View Post
Congrats on the new purchase. We just purchased the 311bhs but wish we would have gotten the 316bik. I have the same turn switch on my battery and wondered the same thing. The walk around guy told us it was the disconnect, but even if you turn it off the power jack still works???? I didn't try anything else in the trailer. So for the time being we have been disconnecting the battery cables. Maybe someone can chime in and set us straight. Again congrats on the awesome trailer.
I have a 2013 Sprinter 320bhs and have the same setup. The positive goes to 2 50 amp relays before the disconnect and powers the tongue jack, breakaway switch and trailer brakes. its a safety feature in case you forget to turn the switch back on after you pull your trailer out of storage
chris7913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
billb800si

Battery switch to the "OFF" position means you've disconnected power to your RV's "electronics" sections (frig- radio-etc...).
Power to the slides & stabilizers are not effected by the battery switch.
If you don't turn the switch "off " when storing the RV then there is a small power drain to the battery & it will eventually completely discharge.

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

The only way to effectively remove all power to the RV is to either remove the battery (batteries) from the circuit by disconnecting them or to install a second battery cutoff switch in either the negative or the positive side of the battery wiring BEFORE it enters the RV power distribution system. In other words, in the wire which is directly connected to either the positive or the negative battery terminal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
GACamper

Newbie Question:

I'm looking at purchasing the 316BIK. How safe is it to store the TT, with electric supplied, with the switch on the "ON" position for extended periods of time (I'm talking 4 to 6 months on end)? Will I have to worry about overcharging the battery or destroying the battery's usefulness?

Thanks, and sorry for my nube-ness.

Doug
GACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

Doug -
The RV's converter will supply a "trickle-type" or "float" charge to the batteries. If you ensure that there is sufficient water in the batteries while they are sitting but being charged, you'll be ok. I wouldn't leave them unattended for 4-6 months without checking the fluid levels at least once a month.