Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
burky4880

Travel Trailer towing questions

I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4, quad cab long bed, pulling a 2013 Keystone Sprinter, 320BHS, 32' long. Dealer installed the old style hitch with chain equalizers and a sway bar to my truck. The trailer was all over the road when i pulled it home. Problem is, I tightend up the sway bar clamp almost all the way. I live 3 hours from the dealer, so taking the unit back is not real practical. Is this the right hitch for my setup? Should I get an equilizer hitch instead? I heard those are much better. Dealer said I could put on a second sway bar, but I am not convinced. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
burky4880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
f6bits

The chain equalizers sounds like the safety chains. The sway bar clamp sounds like a friction sway bar. They're worthless on something that long. A single bar is less than worthless.

The Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam would be the way to go.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Javi

More than likely you can adjust the hitch and tongue weight to easily pull that trailer without sway except in the most extreme conditions. There are several threads and videos on the net explaining the process.

I pull a trailer very similar to yours with no problem using the same hitch configuration and a single friction sway bar, as a note I did install a second friction bar for those times that I have to tow in a high wind. A second bar is cheap insurance and easily carried in the trailer or truck.

An integrated hitch/sway is probably a better solution but is also expensive if you've already purchased a hitch which won't convert.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
teamr6

Though we have a somewhat shorter version of your setup, Yukon XL and a nearly 30' TT, the safety and comfort in towing is what your really after. If your current setup isn't giving you those two things, I'd make a trip back to the dealer to resolve the issue with an Equalizer or similar product.

We have an Equalizer, and though my experience is limited, our TT does not sway as you described. What it does do is give me reassurance that I have one of the safest setups that I could get - a big plus when a big rig is passing you by at 75mph or on a two lane highway. I will tell you though that the Equalizer is a noisy hitch. It'll make you think something is wrong when your making a tight corner.

From a technical perspective, you could get along with your current setup by adding a second sway control, assuming the properly installed equipment meets/exceeds your towing weight limits, and take it for a test run to see how it responds. Also, keep in mind how your loading your TT and/or truck bed - this could have a big impact on the amount of sway your rig is doing.

In the end, and assuming everything is installed and loaded correctly, it doesn't sound like the set up is wrong - it sounds more like which set up is better or mediocre.
teamr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
labs4life

I have a 311 bhs by Sprinter and tow with a '13 f250 6.7. The thing with these outside kitchen models is that it is harder to get appropriate tongue weight. I struggled with it for the first few outings. Not bad sway, just more than I should get with this truck/trailer combo. I took a day and set up the hitch myself. That was close, but I felt I needed more tongue weight, so I fill up the fresh water tank to the brim before every trip. Pulls like a champ and the super duty does not even know the little extra weight is back there. You TV won't know it is there either!!!

Get the hitch installation direction and set the hitch up accordingly. Load the trailer for camping and fill up the water tank and give her a go.....
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
therink

Hi, once you have the trailer home, try loading your gear with emphasis of more weight toward the tongue, then hit a scale once fully loaded. Once loaded (ready for camping) you should have the ideal tongue weight equaling 10-13% of total trailer weight. You may have to readjust your equalizer hitch at this point so truck and trailer aee level.
You have more than enough truck to handle the trailer. Light tongue weight is usually the culprit with a sway condition.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Outbackmel

Equalizer Hitch

Before the fifth wheel, pulled a super slide, 2005 Hornet, 30ft, plenty of miles on a high end SUV. Dumped crummy hitch and went with Equalizer. Presto, NO sway, pigment returned to knuckles. Went 5er for the triple slides and huge bedrooms. Outback Sydney 2011, model 329 fbh. Love this thing.

As stated, try the weight redistribution on the hitch.

Price for a great hitch is cheap when considering your safety. One or 2 wind sways at 50 mph and your family will be looking at motels!

You have a good tow vehicle. Work on that hitch set up. I bought my Equalizer set up on Craigslist.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
gearhead

It could be this. Very interesting read from my fishing forum. Read all pages.
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/sh...d.php?t=504199
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
thewhitehat

Smile Hensley is the way to go.

Of course, if you really want peace of mind, don't count out the Hensley Hitch from Hensley Mfg. It doesn't reduce sway - it eliminates it altogether. It is quite pricey, but ask yourself: What is my life and the lives of my loved ones worth?
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote