Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
blay

converter

Can anyone tell me where the converter is on the retreats and how can I tell if its working
blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Paddler

I have no idea where the converter is located on your unit. Often you can located it by the sound of the cooling fan. With your trailer plugged into a 115V source, start turning on interior lights, at some point the load you are creating will heat the converter up and the cooling fan will turn on...follow the sound.

The easiest way to see if the converter is working is by measuring the battery voltage (about 12.8V) without the trailer plugged into 115V. Record this voltage, then plug the trailer into 115V. Measure the battery voltage again, it should be 1 to 2 volts higher (13.5 to 14.6). If the voltage is higher on the second reading the converter is charging the battery and probably working just fine.

If you don't have access to a voltmeter...unplug the trailer from the 115V source; if you have a battery disconnect switch, turn it to the off position or remove the negative battery cable. You have just disconnected the battery from the trailer, no interior lights should work. Plug the trailer into your 115V source, your interior lights should now work. The converter is probably working correctly. Don't forget to reconnect the negative battery cable...after disconnecting the shore power.
Hope this helps,
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay View Post
Can anyone tell me where the converter is on the retreats and how can I tell if its working
You didn't specify which floor plan, so it's kind of tough to tell you exactly where it is. But, I snagged an interior pic of a retreat off Keystone's web site. It clearly shows the convertor and power distribution panel which I have circled in black. Now that you know what to look for, I suspect you can locate it in your unit easily.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
byrdr1

Could be behind that electric distribution panel for 12v fuses and 120 v breakers. Thats where mine was. you have to pull the panel. Make sure you are unhooked from power and disconnect the battery. don't want a surprise.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
blay

converter

thanx for all the great info. This camping is sure turning out to be a lot of fun ha
blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Paddler

SteveC7010,
I could be wrong but I think you circled the central vacuum.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
SteveC7010,
I could be wrong but I think you circled the central vacuum.
You might have a point there. It sure looks like the right size and shape with distribution panel right above the convertor section, though.

Now I am really concerned and confused.

For the OP, some where in that trailer is a panel (most likely brown in color) that when you open it, you will see a bunch of standard residential AC circuit breakers plus a row of ATC fuses. The fuses are the 12vdc side of things and the breakers, just like in your home, are the 110/220 vac side. Generally, the convertor is right below this and probably has a louvered front.

If it isn't the item I circled in the pic, it will look fairly similar in size and color.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
badge4

As soon as you walk into the sliding glass door entrance it is located to your left at floor level. You will have to literally lay on the floor to see what you are doing.
badge4 is offline   Reply With Quote