Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
ht99vpi

Modified double light to single

I was bothered by the double lights in the camper we just bought. All other campers I have seen or borrowed had the ability to use either both lights or just one by using a double switch. So I modified the 2 light fixtures that were wired to a wall switch. I removed the fixture and rewired it so when the wall switch is turned on only one light comes on unless I switch the other one on at the fixture. Took about 20 minutes for both fixtures.
ht99vpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
KenBob

It would be interesting to know how the lamp was rewired. Can it be done for non-switched lamps as well? Removing a bulb was the alternative.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
It would be interesting to know how the lamp was rewired. Can it be done for non-switched lamps as well? Removing a bulb was the alternative.
X2.
thanks,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
ht99vpi

The way the lights are wired is basically a loop the switch is connected to the ground while the positive wire runs directly to one of the 2 bulbs, then another wire runs to the other bulb from the same side of the bulb, then the other side of the bulb is connected to the other side of the switch. What I did is simply change the wiring to remove the loop. I kept one of the bulbs on the switch and removed the wire connecting the bulbs directly, removing it from the switch. The other bulb was then basically wired directly to the positive and negative from the switch on the wall. This way it comes on when I flip the wall switch on, but the other bulb remains off until I flip the switch on the fixture on. I hope this helped. Unfortunately they did not use colored wires except for the wires coming to the fixture. So I can't be more clear than that. The best advice I can give is to remove the fixture and gently pull out the bulb mounts to see where each of the wires goes. Ultimately you want to end up with one bulb wired directly to the switch and the other through the fixture switch. I though about taking a picture but it still would have been confusing due to limited view.
ht99vpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights