Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Outbackmel

Tube for Towmaster tire(s)?

Have 17 inch alum wheels. A month ago I touched a curb with the sidewall going 5mph. Did not hit rim. Since then I have a very slow leak. Thinking
I need to pull the wheel and check for possible impediment or if nothing, have a tube placed inside of the tire. Thoughts.

Also when I jack this thing to remove wheel, are there past threads on proper jacking and blocking?
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

I am not a big fan of putting a tube in a tire with side wall damage. I am assuming it is side wall as you said you touched a curb. now the reason. the side wall is the part of the tire that flexes the most esp on trailer tires. there is a very good chance you may pinch the tube and have yet another flat! and or the poss. of the tire comming apsrt at speed. in connecticut is is illeagal to repair a sidewall in a tire. your laws may be different. if it is the rim that is leaking then it is time for a new rim as the aluminum is cracked.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
Have 17 inch alum wheels. A month ago I touched a curb with the sidewall going 5mph. Did not hit rim. Since then I have a very slow leak. Thinking
I need to pull the wheel and check for possible impediment or if nothing, have a tube placed inside of the tire. Thoughts.

Also when I jack this thing to remove wheel, are there past threads on proper jacking and blocking?
When I replaced my RV tires this year I jacked on the frame, not the axle or suspension components. I lifted the frame using 2X12 boards stacked as cribbing and than a 12 ton bottle jack. The frame was lifted on both sides to prevent twisting of the frame, so as you guessed I have two bottle jacks to do this. I also place four jack stands under the frame, as I do not trust any type of jack to support the load it sees when I am under the vehicle or when tires are off.
I also use a 3 ton car jack to raise the tire off of the ground as the suspension will allow the tire/rim to sag when the frame is lifted, so the only mass that the axle is seeing is the weight of the tire/rim.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Outbackmel

Thanks

Thanks to both of you as well as Steve for excellent comments and suggestions. I will put all to good use. Rim is not scratched or nicked. I think the seal to the rim (bead) needs to be broken at a tire center and reset. I cannot do that by myself with tools I have.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

Realing the beed is safe. and all tire shopsshould have bead sealer. and when you do have to change the tire out in the future it will dismount without a hassel. hth
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote