Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Apostle

Busted Window - Where to Buy for DIY?

New to Travel Trailers and the backing up into driveways with them.
So... That said, I figured I would post pics since I'm the new guy for your entertainment pleasure. The window met my rain gutter and specifically the nail the holds the gutter into the house. I have exactly 24' from the eve to the sidewalk and can not impede the sidewalk. The TT is 24' long. The first time I parked it it was perfect like I've done it a million times. The second time, not so much.

Anyhow.... Where is the best place I can purchase a replacement? It looks easy enough to R&R so I figured I'd do it myself.

Thanks!

Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

removing the windows is very easy.

remove any valance/blinds/curtains from the inside and get them out of the way.

you'll need someone inside the camper and someone outside the camper.... on the inside, you'll see a series of phillips/square head screws in the metal trim. those are what sandwich the inside trim and the outside trim of the window to the camper wall.. remove them... person on outside of camper is there to steady the window as they are removed... and subsequently lower the window down when inside guy removes the last screws. window should just come right out (absent goop/sealant)
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

As SAD stated removing the whole window and frame from the unit is fairly easy. I just recently removed one of my smaller windows without any difficulty. I was not able to remove and replace the glass however and had to take it to a glass shop. Here, the guy made a pattern of the glass, sent it away to be tempered, and it was BTW, thermopane glass. Once it came back to him, he put the glass back in the frame.

To make things a bit more complicated than yours, it was a sliding window pane that broke.

It seems that most RV dealerships and RV parts places don't keep windows in stock since there are just too many shapes and sizes for them to keep an inventory. You can get a whole window replacement (glass included) but it is costly. Try just getting the glass done through a glass shop.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't tell from your pictures whether the aluminum window frame is damaged or not. In one picture it appears that the damage may just be a slight bend in the frame. If the frame is not damaged, or if it is only slightly damaged and can be repaired, then changing out the glass would be much cheaper than trying to find a replacement window. Almost any automotive glass dealer can measure, order and install the glass for you. The problem you're going to find difficult to resolve is how to get the right tint in the new glass so it matches the remaining glass in the RV.

Good luck, taking the window out, getting it to a dealer for replacement of the glass is easy enough, trying to find a replacement window for your RV is going to be more difficult unless you get your dealer to order it from Keystone. As with pricing a new RV, you may want to check a couple of dealers to find the best price. All you'll need is the window, some butyl tape and a helper to re-install the new one. There's no need to pay the dealer to put it in if you're somewhat handy with a square drive screwdriver and a roll of putty tape.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
Apostle

The top right of the frame is damaged pretty good. I would rather replace the whole window because of this. I would be good replacing it with a window that doesn't open. Is there a place online I can order this from?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
The top right of the frame is damaged pretty good. I would rather replace the whole window because of this. I would be good replacing it with a window that doesn't open. Is there a place online I can order this from?
Google (or whatever search engine you prefer) is your friend.

I found this custom manufacturer on the first page of a search. Their custom replacement windows are PRICEY!!!! A 6 square foot window is $750.

If it were my rig, I'd take a much closer look at straightening the frame and having the glass replaced by a competent glass shop.

The Hehr rubber bedding material is available through many online suppliers.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
Roberson4

I'd contact a dealer and get a price on a complete exact replacement before I made any decisions.
I just replaced a emergency exit window and frame in our rig. Cost of the exact replacement glass and frame was $228 (including shipping). Installation was easy enough.

When I called the dealer they just needed the vin of our rig and where in the camper it was/which window was needed and also asked for measurements. The one we replaced was a 24x36

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Custom windows are very VERY expensive because they are made "one at a time" and that individual manufacturing process costs a bunch. If you're looking at a replacement window, then the dealer or Keystone is your best bet. Keystone buys windows in lots of several hundred (or more) at a time and uses them until they're all installed in RV's. Then they move on to the next lot of windows of similar size. There may be a slight difference in the radius of the corners, length or height of the next lot. Usually they keep several as replacements for customers just like you, who damage a window and need an exact replacement for an existing opening.

They also do the same with cabinets, table tops, counter tops, etc.

If you want a complete window, then your best bet would be the dealer, since Keystone doesn't sell to customers directly. They will, however, at times, ship replacement items covered under warranty to the customer, but usually only after the dealer verifies the warranty status.

Most dealers will deduct the cost of shipping if the part is not needed immediately. What they do in that situation is just have Keystone place the part in the next complete RV to be towed to that dealer location. Sort of like a "free delivery" included in the next dealer shipment.

I'd strongly suggest contacting your dealer, and another dealer in the vicinity, compare prices and go from there.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Apostle

Thanks for the info!

I will check with the dealer first and see what they say. They may help me out.....