Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
gepaine

Lump Under Vinyl Floor

I have a 2011 Keystone Cougar 24-foot TT that is out-of-warranty. We are currently halfway thru a 7-week trip around western states, and have noticed a lump developing under the vinyl floor next to the dinette. It appears that a fastener (bolt or large screw) is pushing up from under the vinyl. The lump is now about 1/4-inch high. The vinyl is "tented-up" around the bump also. I guess they didn't use any adhesive when they installed the floor.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Did you fix it yourself? If so, what procedure did you use?

Thanks

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

Lump in floor

Please see my reply to the "problems getting service on the road..." post a couple of lines up. (it is in the warranty category.)

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
gepaine

The Rest of the Story...

When I was unable to get the problem repaired in the Denver area without waiting 2 weeks, I decided to deal with it after getting back home. However, the fastener continued to back out. When it was about a 1/2" high, I thought I had better deal with it.

I took some measurements regarding the location of the lump, and then duplicated the measurements underneath the TT. I cut a flap in the underside covering directly below the offending fastener. It was a self-tapping machine screw that attached the plywood flooring to the metal I-beam frame. I was able to hand tighten the screw which removed the lump in the floor. Then I used vice grips to tighten it further.

Next, I was going to add a nut and lock washer to the screw so it couldn't back out again. However, since it was a self-tapping screw, I could not find a nut in Custer, SD that fit it. After returning home, I found a nylon grommet nut in my "20 Year Bin" that did the job.

FYI: If it had been fixed by an RV shop, they would have slit the vinyl floor covering, tightened the screw, and then glued the vinyl back together. I like my solution much better.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Johnnyfry

Bump

That is exactly what I did and it is still working after nearly a year and 20k miles.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote