Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2021, 03:17 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
ANY horn over a certain decibel level is not legal.

I don’t think mine are “legal” but I don’t use them in front of law enforcement, and I haven’t been ticketed yet even when they knew it was me.

My horns are mounted under the bed facing down so the sound radiates all sides. I can watch gravel get blown when I hit them. They have been through some severe weather and still work.
Sounds like mine, no pun intended. I mounted the horns under the passenger side bed at the cab end. The 5 horns are mounted at an upwards angle towards the cab. The DW jumps out of her seat when I hit them! I've never had a ticket either but I don't "play" with them just to watch people jump either.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:44 PM   #22
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I want a horn that yells "a##hole" followed by the train horns when pressed for those idiots that think you can stop 25k lbs on a dime darting in front of me then slamming on the brakes.
I have little patience for idiot drivers like that. Even for me and my little trailer. I'd be in trouble with horns like you all have. I use a set of five trumpets, on a single pedestal, wired to a main controller that short circuits when idiots pull stupid stunts (while I'm trailering or not). The controller tends to only energize the middle trumpet however... catch that drift? My late MIL called it the Florida wave. She used it as needed. bless her heart... LOL

Florida has a lot of different drivers from a lot of different states. We're a mixing pot here of driver's skills and lack of skills. It's best to sit in the right lane and take it easy. But speed up, then cut me off with your brakes in the right lane for that upcoming exit when there's nothing behind me, you'll get my wave in your rear view. Maybe I should get a blow horn for the verbals... Ok, maybe not.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:30 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

You could look at the air horns s an alert that a "visual message will follow". Sort of like the weekly emergency alert tests that TV stations are required to do. Typically after deploying my "alert signaling device" the driver will see my big smiling face displaying the visual message.

I figure that I'm doing the right thing as obviously the offending driver must be visually impaired or they wouldn't cut off or brake check ton's of truck and trailer that could crush them. I think it's a public service that we all should participate in to help these poor driver's heighten their awareness.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #24
xrated

Air Horns...........the quickest, most efficient, and loudest way to convey to another driver that they are in fact, an idiot that needs to pay more attention to their horrible driving habits.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #25
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You could look at the air horns s an alert that a "visual message will follow". Sort of like the weekly emergency alert tests that TV stations are required to do. Typically after deploying my "alert signaling device" the driver will see my big smiling face displaying the visual message.

I figure that I'm doing the right thing as obviously the offending driver must be visually impaired or they wouldn't cut off or brake check ton's of truck and trailer that could crush them. I think it's a public service that we all should participate in to help these poor driver's heighten their awareness.
I'm not a pokey driver - just cautious and usually no more than 3-4 over the posted MPH. So, that being said, I'm always in someone's way even in the right lane. You give me an idea... a front license plate (since FL doesn't require two) with a right hand and a middle finger. Seems to me, the larger the vehicle, the more others tend to tailgate, cut off, brake check, etc., etc. the larger vehicle. The taller stance of the F250 vs. the Tundra I had is apparent to me in several ways, this discussion included. If I drove like many others here, I'd become the "bad guy in a big truck driving recklessly" when in fact I'm only doing what the majority of others already do!

Atlanta/surrounding areas is an example. Man, if you're not doing whatever speed everyone else is on that beltway (I285) you'll get run over. And if you need another lane, put on your signal and move over... don't wait, just move over and they'll make room, because that seems to be the only way to get where you need to go around that city. And I think ATL is a great area. I'd love to live there. I just wouldn't care for the traffic in the metro areas.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I'm not a pokey driver - just cautious and usually no more than 3-4 over the posted MPH. So, that being said, I'm always in someone's way even in the right lane. You give me an idea... a front license plate (since FL doesn't require two) with a right hand and a middle finger. Seems to me, the larger the vehicle, the more others tend to tailgate, cut off, brake check, etc., etc. the larger vehicle. The taller stance of the F250 vs. the Tundra I had is apparent to me in several ways, this discussion included. If I drove like many others here, I'd become the "bad guy in a big truck driving recklessly" when in fact I'm only doing what the majority of others already do!

Atlanta/surrounding areas is an example. Man, if you're not doing whatever speed everyone else is on that beltway (I285) you'll get run over. And if you need another lane, put on your signal and move over... don't wait, just move over and they'll make room, because that seems to be the only way to get where you need to go around that city. And I think ATL is a great area. I'd love to live there. I just wouldn't care for the traffic in the metro areas.
The part in red ... you don't know how many times I've said to the DW "this truck must have the gravitational pull of a small planet" or "what are we an a&& hole magnet?", or typically I'll say "Honey when I pull over will you rip off the sign on my back that says CUT ME OFF?" That's why I empathize with the big rig drivers.

Over the years of traveling for work I think I've experienced most major cities and the wonderful (sarcasm here) road systems, especially from and back to the airport. Atlanta is special, sop is Boston, NYC, ..... The trick is to know when the times are best and try to transmit the area. Some places,. Like Washington D.C and the Capitol Beltway never seem to have a good time of day. Those area I'll drive many miles to avoid. The miles may be greater but typically the time isn't so I rather spend the little extra in fuel and enjoy the ride at a lower blood pressure.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #27
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The part in red ... you don't know how many times I've said to the DW "this truck must have the gravitational pull of a small planet" or "what are we an a&& hole magnet?", or typically I'll say "Honey when I pull over will you rip off the sign on my back that says CUT ME OFF?" That's why I empathize with the big rig drivers.

Over the years of traveling for work I think I've experienced most major cities and the wonderful (sarcasm here) road systems, especially from and back to the airport. Atlanta is special, sop is Boston, NYC, ..... The trick is to know when the times are best and try to transmit the area. Some places,. Like Washington D.C and the Capitol Beltway never seem to have a good time of day. Those area I'll drive many miles to avoid. The miles may be greater but typically the time isn't so I rather spend the little extra in fuel and enjoy the ride at a lower blood pressure.
How true it is. We pass thru Atlanta 6 to 8 times a year going back forth between our two daughters homes, one in GA and one in SC. There is not a moment in time where there is not traffic either on the beltway or straight thru the city. Then heading back up to NY we add an hour to our trip going west on I 64 to I81 just to avoid Washington.

As for air horns, here is a cheap set up. It also goes from truck to car. You just have to be sure to roll the window down.
https://www.amazon.com/Boating-Safet...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote