Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
drycamper

Beware..... frame cracks

2015 21RBSWE with 19,000 miles

Northern Ca. camping trip. Looking back on the day it happened, I remember a sound like hitting a small pothole in the first campground I checked at a mountain lake. While driving to 2nd campground I kept hearing what I assumed was my rear cargo rack (un used), making squeaking noises everytime I went over a pavement crack. After backing into campsite and prepping trailer I notice the problem. I-beam failure at the rear leaf spring bracket. The horizontal leg of I-beam had torn off the beam itself and flipped 180°, and was rubbing on the beam itself. Trailer was lower and rear axle angled towards front wheel. Oh boy!
Short version...... a couple days of driving to cell phone coverage along with a couple emergencies the welder had to deal with finally got me patched up enough to make it down the mountain to his shop. During this time I prepped the the trailer for the welding job by cutting insulation back and lining with aluminum foil to protect against fire. I also discovered the same flaw on the opposite side. A crack in the I-beam just above rear bracket hanger. Engineering issue????? I travel with empty grey and black which are to the rear of cracks. Fresh is in front of axles. I'll travel with 1/2 to full fresh H2o.
Guys at the shop welded cracks and sisters (additional pieces of steel to reinforce cracked area).

Best part of story is I met some great people who fixed me up and got me on my way.

Please crawl under your rigs occasionally with a good light and inspect your frame for potential disasters. I was lucky!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8444.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	29849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8459.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	29850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8476.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	29851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8479.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	29852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8494.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	29853  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8503.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	29854  
drycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Praise the Lord you are safe and the experience was resolved without damage. That was a stressful frame break and cudos to the welder who got you back on the road. Did he have any thoughts on why the frame just failed like that?

Do you usually camp off grid and what state did this happen? Looks like the roads may be been a bit rough.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
drycamper

My usual campsites are in Ca. and Oregon National Forests, with limited amount of dirt road traveling (usually the last couple miles). Not what I would call hard miles at all. Maybe if I had 100,000 miles on the trailer and had max. weight aft of axles, but this seems like an engineering design failure. They are not made to last.
drycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:19 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Your trailer sure didn't last. Hope that welder was careful to scab in a lot of bracing and knew how to make a weld that penetrated. Can you tell the difference between penetration and a cold weld?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack