Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
Jon C

2020 keystone cougar 32 RDB

Having problems with flies getting in the bathroom not just talking a few flies like 15 to 20 in a one day span when camper is not in use I have caulked around the screen area the vent the bathtub drain is plugged the sink drain is plugged the toilet is closed tons of flies getting in from somewhere and I don’t know where is it possible they’re getting in through the vent of the black tank into the ceiling and coming out air conditioner vents?
Jon C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:31 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Is the camper parked with a sewer hose connected? I don't have an A/C outlet in my Cougar bathroom but can't see how they can get through the A/C system and just come out into that area; the system is pretty much closed.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
Jon C

There is no sewer line hooked up valves are closed at the discharge when I get on top of the camper there’s flies around the black tank vent which is right next to the bathroom ceiling vent we cleaned off the screens in the both ceiling vents in the bunkhouse and in the bathroom the next day there are eight flies on top of the screen in the bunkhouse and in the bathroom there was two flies on top of the screen and 15 flies 15 to 20 in the bathroom with the door closed I don’t know if the stink Pipe vent needs a screen around it or not
Old 09-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

camco makes two types of vent caps. The fixed (no take off) and the spring retained cap. You might buy one of the spring retained caps and put a piece of screen over the vent opening and use a hose clamp to keep it in place or duct tape, etc. Then put the cap on and see if the flies can get aboard after that (potential) fix. Never heard of anyone with this issue. You might want to keep an eye that the screen doesn't collect any debris which might block the venting. After install of the screen, perhaps blow a spray can Flying insect bug bomb that is supposed to also kill any eggs into the toilet. Read the safety labels, of course.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQWQ0A...expertiserv-20
Old 09-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
Jon C

I’m going to re-flush my tank put chemicals in and bug spray and put a screen over the black vent cap and put some white electrical tape around the screen up in the ceiling vent in case they’re getting by that screen thank you for the info
Old 09-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
Jon C

2020 32 rdb

I posted on here the other day that I had problems with flies getting into the roof vents and piling up on top of the screens and a few of them getting it I found the problem the vent pipe to the black tank was not sealed where it came through the roof the flies were crawling down the black pipe into the ceiling crawling through the ceiling to the sides of the vents and in, I sealed the black pipe where it came through the roof and seal inside the ceiling vents problem solved!
Old 09-10-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Thank you for posting back to inform the members of what you found. Someone will find that useful in the future I have no doubt.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

If everyone who solved an issue like this posted, this would MAKE the FORUM GREAT AGAIN! (MFGA) and the big guys here on the site could sell red ball caps with MFGA!
Old 09-11-2020, 04:42 AM   #9
Jon C

Thank you MFGA!!

Tags
cougar, keystone