Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2020, 02:06 AM   #1
gwilkrrs

dual propane setup question

2007 289bhs cougar. the PO had the left side tank out when we bought the rv, he was grilling with it. he put it back in the cabinet for us, but not connected. the set up was a single connection/regulator n right side with the crossover pigtail disconnected. I bought a dual tank auto change over and hooked it back up, on the left side there was a red regulator and pigtail hooked up to the black cross over pipe- I hooked it up and turned on the gas with the arrow directed at the right tank- the left tank regulator leaked so bad I could hear and feel it. I took it apart and saw it was connected with "in" from crossover pipe and "out" to tank. I turned it around and hooked it up and still leaked out of the hole...…

so the question is- is there supposed to be another regulator here to begin with or is the dual regulator the only one needed?
2. if needed what is the in and the out for this situation?

I was surprised with the bottle off on that side and the handle directed at the other tank that this side would be getting propane delivered to it at all.....
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:37 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have propane cylinders on opposite sides of the trailer, then that small red regulator has to be there. If it’s leaking, just replace it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:04 AM   #3
gwilkrrs

ok- so its needed and needs replaced. install orientation would be with the in towards the tank or opposite with the out towards the tank?

I think it would be from the tank "in" to regulator and "out" of regulator to the crossover pipe to the dual regulator set up? or is that backwards? the regulator has "in" and Out"
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:23 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilkrrs View Post
ok- so its needed and needs replaced. install orientation would be with the in towards the tank or opposite with the out towards the tank?

I think it would be from the tank "in" to regulator and "out" of regulator to the crossover pipe to the dual regulator set up? or is that backwards? the regulator has "in" and Out"
The lp gas flows in one direction away from the tank. The gas goes OUT of the tank and IN to anything connected to it. More than one device, follow the direction of the flow.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:58 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

From cylinder IN to regulator and OUT to the cross over

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:41 AM   #6
Javi

About as good a writeup as I could find on short notice..

https://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/the-abcs-of-lpg/

Tags
propane