Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
theweatherman

Fuse Box Location and Fridge on 2002 Keystone Springdale Clearwater

New here, and to RVs. Please let me know if this should be posted elsewhere in the forums, or if I am otherwise not following forum protocols.

I am trying out a 2002 Keystone Springdale Clearwater 19’ travel trailer and struggling to get the refrigerator to work on electric. Can anyone tell me where the fuse box is located, or provide other thoughts on troubleshooting? Thank you.
theweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Typically it's behind a brown colored "door" that you push in to release. Often it's under the fridge but could be anywhere close to the floor in plain sight.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum
Are you looking for the fuses to the fridge or the fuse and breaker panel for the trailer?

Does the fridge work on LP? Brand and model of fridge will help us help you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
theweatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Typically it's behind a brown colored "door" that you push in to release. Often it's under the fridge but could be anywhere close to the floor in plain sight.
Thank you! Found the main fuse/breaker box. It was near the floor just left of the fridge. Reset everything and resuming tests now.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
theweatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum
Are you looking for the fuses to the fridge or the fuse and breaker panel for the trailer?

Does the fridge work on LP? Brand and model of fridge will help us help you.
Thank you! Was looking for the general trailer fuse/breaker box. Located that. Reset all breakers and checked all fuses there. Are there separate fuses for the fridge?

I do not have good documentation for that appliance on hand. It appears to be an Americana, made by Dometic. So far, I haven’t been able to get it to work on electric or propane. LP to the stove is working, so I assume it is not air in the lines.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Open the access panel at the bottom of the fridge outside. You should see the 12VDC from the trailer, connected to a plastic “block”. Test for 12V on both sides. After that just follow the positive wire, testing for voltage at each terminal

This may help:

https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairH...roubleshooting

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:03 AM   #7
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweatherman View Post

Are there separate fuses for the fridge?
Following the 12v from the little terminal block to the circuit board is good advice. But to answer the above question, yes there is, at least on newer dometic fridges. On my last 3, which were identical on the control side, there was a slow blow 3a glass fuse in line with the red wire. And there was a fuse (glass I think but maybe not) on the circuit board under the black plastic cover. Though I never had them fail. And finally, there is a 3rd fuse, sometimes referred to as a thermocouple(r) or a thermal fuse. It's inside of a cloth/plastic/asbestos sleeve near the chimney but not on the chimney.

Edit: I thought of another one, sort of, but it may not be on your earlier than mine dometic. Also in the outside compartment, low on the chimney (and actually on the round chimney) there can be a small round black circuit breaker of a sort. On mine there is a small push button reset. If you see one, check both sides with your DVM to be sure 12+ is passing through it. Check both sides of the thermal fuse the same way.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #8
jsb5717

If the trailer is new to you and you've never used the fridge you might check:

1. If it's plugged in to the 110v plug behind the exterior lower vent
  2. If the 110v breaker is on - Interior fuse panel
  3. If the Thermal Fuse is tripped - on the chimney - exterior lower vent
  4. also check to see if the fridge has been overheated. See below
You can locate the 110v heating rod that drops into the chimney and see if you can move it or if it's frozen in place. There are 2 heavier gauge black wires coming off of the control board that lead to the visible end of the heating rod. Find that and see if you can move it a little side to side. If you can't move it then you have a bigger problem. Read on...

I just did a full replacement of the entire cooling system on my nephew's trailer as a result of overheating that fused the heating rod to the cooling unit. Might be worth checking, along with the reset-able thermal fuse mentioned above. If the thermal fuse is tripped the fridge won't work until reset or replaced. You can always unplug the wires and jump them so see if the fridge will work.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #9
theweatherman

So many thanks! I’m testing your suggestions now. Interior fuses and breakers seem fine. Getting some cooling on LP. On Auto, the “check” light keeps coming back on.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

Do be aware that you must have 12 volt power to the fridge before it will work on 120 volt or propane. It powers the control board.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, fuse, keystone, springdale, water