Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #21
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Running an A/C on an insufficient power supply is really hard on the compressor.
A cord that is too small or too long will reduce the wattage available to start and run it. The motor will be working too hard and overheat the windings.
The same goes for using a generator that's too small to run your A/C.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #22
Hamlej

If your installing a dedicated outlet, do it once and have the electrican install a 50 amp dedicated recepticle. This way you will be ready for that future upgrade.

Larry and Linda Stetz
2018 Montana 3820FK
2019 Ford F350 Lariet DRW 14000# GVWR 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

If the electrician installs a dedicated 50A outlet then an adapter cable will need to be used and not sure you can hang a Progressive EMS or other EMS from the adapter. I am sure the gurus know.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #24
Rinsrig

Throwing breaker in house

The reason you are throwing a breaker is more than just the AC, although, it is the primary reason it is throwing the breaker.
When an AC compressor first starts up, it typically takes 60 amps to start, it only last a couple of seconds, 30 amp breakers (for campers) are designed to hold throwing for an average of 10 seconds.
But when you plug in your coach, even if nothing else is on, you still have other loads the kick in whether you know about it or not. The biggest thing that you aren't aware of is your charger, it is in the same box as your fuses and breakers. It runs all of your 12 volt items in the coach and charges your battery at the same time.
You also run a very serious risk of starting a fire, assuming your cord doesn't melt first. The wiring for your typical 115 volt outlet at home is not designed to carry the load of a 30 amp device. When you do that, the wires in the house (in your walls) get hot, hot wires have a tendency to move (stretching and retracting) which also weakens your wires. It isn't worth running your AC or changing out the plug if you don't update the wires from the box to the outlet (10 g for 30 amp, 6 g for 50 amp).
Rinsrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #25
Spaceguy85

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKarre View Post
We are new Travel Trailer owners and are testing out the AC. The Trailer is plugged into an outside outlet at our home. We turned on the AC and it ran a few minutes and then tripped the breaker in the house. What should we be looking for?
thanks in advance!
We had the same problem. Plugged into a 20amp breaker, and it would blow in about 5 -10 minutes. I added a new 30 amp circuit, and now no issues. But, I wanted to try to figure this out, so did some current testing. Found that the AC on startup was 17.23 amps. So that should have been ok. I thought about it, and found out that the electric side of the water heater was also on. That put my current at 25.6amps. So, if I wanted to run just the AC, I can do that on 20amps, but, with anything else, I need at least 30amps. My coach is actually a 50 amp coach. So, still cannot run both AC's, but, at least I can run them one at a time. I think if you add a 30 amp circuit, you will be fine.
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #26
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If the electrician installs a dedicated 50A outlet then an adapter cable will need to be used and not sure you can hang a Progressive EMS or other EMS from the adapter. I am sure the gurus know.
This should work fine. If the wiring is all correct, an EMS won't see any difference between a hardwired 30A outlet and an adapted 50A outlet. And if it isn't correct, it should react, and rightly so.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #27
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
This should work fine. If the wiring is all correct, an EMS won't see any difference between a hardwired 30A outlet and an adapted 50A outlet. And if it isn't correct, it should react, and rightly so.

Thanks! Just wasn't sure.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #28
danf

You can also install a soft start in your AC. That will reduce start up amps to something more manageable. I can run off a single EU2000 with the soft start.
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #29
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf View Post
You can also install a soft start in your AC. That will reduce start up amps to something more manageable. I can run off a single EU2000 with the soft start.
That's fine for managing your loads, but adding a capacitor will never cure an overloaded A/C unit. I realize it helps to improve the power factor, but I think you're pushing it with a 2200 starting Watt generator. Sure it'll start it, but you're going to pay down the road.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #30
rhagfo

One question I didn’t really see asked was how long and what gauge the extension cord was. Should have been a 12 gauge cable and no longer than 50’.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote